Find
Notify
Tools

Africase or Murray shell holders?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
It's probably splitting hairs to decide between two quality products, but if you had to choose between Africase or Murray for your big bore shell holder, which would you choose?

Murray

C-3 Rifle Shell Holder

Belt type with full leather enclosure, 7 round capacity with heavy

duty elastic retention loops, rattle proof, soft point protection, fits

one row of cartridges flat against your belt. Fully nylon stitched,

available in cartridge sizes from 25.06 through 570 Nitro. Some African calibers limited to 6 rounds.

Africase

Five Round Cartridge Wallet

This product needs a descriptive sentence.

Hand-crafted from top quality heavy cowhide.

Cartidges are held in 5 individually stitched "cartridge boots"

Flap and post closure for quick and quiet access to cartridges.

Natural hand rubbed oil finish.

Will fit up to 2.5" belt.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 or 4 shellholders from Murray and 6 or 8 from Africase. The Africase is head and shoulders above Murray. Superior features of Africase include the following:

1. Africase has much thicker/stronger leather than Murray.

2. Africase has silent opening/closing while Murray uses a snap that creates noise.

3. Africase more heavily stitched than Murray.

4. Africase has an individual compartment for each shell, but Murray does not. Murray uses a piece of elastic inside to keep the shells apart.

6. Africase holders look classier. That is personal opinion, but if you lay the two beside each other, I think you will agree.

Good luck.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use either a Butler Creek/Uncle Mike's cartridge belt, or the cartridge pockets on my Willis & Geiger safari vest.

I find the leather carriers uncomfortable to wear while seated.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I find the leather carriers uncomfortable to wear while seated.

George has a good point. I wear a leather belt that does not go through any belt loops and which carries my cartridge carriers (and knife if I take one). I just slip the belt off when I get in the car, but I can grab the belt quickly when I get out.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The best high-quality leather cartridge cases, holders, and belts you can buy are available from Westley Richards. The leather POCKET cartridge holders fill a special niche all their own.

www.westleyrichards.com

AD

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Both look way to short for my arrows, so no vote for me!LOL

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use cloth carrier with velcro to hold closed - carries about 12 rounds 6 on one side and 6 on the other side cost about $10. May not look so "Capsick" but my rifle the Africian Queen (camoed composit stock) is also butt ugly but she sure kills with Barnes X's.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The best high-quality leather cartridge cases, holders, and belts you can buy are available from Westley Richards.

I disagree as I own a Westley Richards cartridge belt and its leather is thinner than Africase and its stitching is not as good. Nor is the leather finished as well. However, WR may be the most expensive cartridge holder available.

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
After reading your replies and suggestions, I think I may go in a different direction. The thoughts about the benefit of a belt just for ammo make sense. In the past, I've had two ammo holders on the belt I wear all day--one for each of the two calibers I had with me. Not the most comfortable attire while riding in the vehicle or when taking that midday nap.
If I get an ammo belt for my .470, I could slip on one end my shell holder for my .375 cartridges and have both ready as needed. Hmmmm.... How about the following ammo belt (the leather 10 shell holder in the middle)?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave up open carry ammo belts because I did not like my cartridges getting dirty and rained on. But of those in your photo, I like the middle one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Murray will custom make what ever style you want, just call him up. He made me a 10 round ammo belt with 2 of the 5 round cartridge wallets for a 416 Rigby. It looks a lot like the above belt in the middle with 2 fold over flaps per 5 rounds. The top flaps fasten with a brass stud. I had him position the "cartridge wallets", so they would be on my left side (I'm right handed) and you can also rotate the belt so the rounds are in front of you if you like (i.e., easier to remove in a stressful situation)). If I recall his turn around time was about two weeks for mine. I also use it for smaller cartridges, since they are secured with the fold over flaps (e.g., when deer hunting).

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
We found Africase tucked away in Salt Lake. What I intially liked was the fact that all of their holders were cartridge specific. The africase is a rugged sturdy product. I have used them all ove the world including three hard years in Africa. Quality works everytime

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring
For my trip this June I got 2 15 round belts like the top one in your picture. I like to carry plenty of bullets and I like to be able to "pluck" them out without having to open any flaps. I always put the toughest bullets toward the back. ie the solids will be at the back.
Also on your double get a Murray buttstock shell holder. That is the fastest reload for a double or a single shot rifle. They protect a large portion of the stock also.
I usually just have Murray shell holders on my pants belt, but on all other hunts I do not switch rifles. In Africa I might need to switch rifles durring the day so it will be easier to have a seperate belt for each rifle IMHO.
Plus by having the shells in an open top carrier it is easier to switch between softs and solids if you need to change the rounds in your rifle. This applies to doubles as you can change rounds SILENTLY.
All the products mentioned are high quality, I have Several Murray Leather products and some Westley Richards leather. I have seen the Africase product and they are very nice. You can do business with Heritage Arms, Aleko is a fine fellow. It all boils down to what you like the best.
Note: 15 rounds of Nitro Express ammo is pretty heavy, I am used to carrying quite a heavy load around my waist daily, However if you find 15 rounds too heavy just leave a few spaces empty, or a gap between your softs and solids.

Spring I hope you are taking your 470 on your Africa Trip, If you are not planning on doing so... we need to talk. e-mail me.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote was for "something else".

I don't like a lot of ammo pulling my pants down, so I put two (or more) of the Federal plastic ammo holders in my vest pockets and then slide another holder on the right/front of my belt for quick reloading. They may not look as nice as the leather ones but are very quick for reloads and take up minimal room on the belt. BTW, it felt like the rounds were not sufficiently tight in the Federal holders but nothing has come loose yet. If you might be doing a lot of crawling, put whatever ammo holder you use behind you hip to keep it out of the dirt.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would ya'll mind posting the links to the sites where you find all this great leather? I will say that having used slide on cartridge holders I would prefer to have it on a seperate belt. I like to have the belt that holds my pants left alone. I would love to find a good vest though that would hold cartridges as well. I liked the one worn by the ladies husband in the "Out of Africa" movie, it had cartridge loops just above waist level on the front of the coat, both sides. Anybody got pictures of shirts/vests/coats that are setup well for safari with cartridge loops? I figure I can always get the wife to make me one later.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I just thought I'd mention a different product. Cabela's has some Boyt Cartridge Carriers that work well for my .416 Rigby and .470 NE cartridges.

Boyt Cartridge Carriers
Item: IE-225803
Price: $12.99

I was suspicious of the quality for only $12.99 but took a chance and ordered a couple. I was pleased when I received them. Not bad at all for around thirteen bucks. I ordered the "Magnum" model and .470 cartridges fit in the loops just fine.

This carrier does not have a flap but it's also small enough and flat enough to use as a cartridge wallet plus it can be worn on the belt.

Also please note, in the interests of full disclosure, I have not used these carriers in the field yet so I can't comment upon how the hold up, etc.

Just my two cents...
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I've used Galco's "Safari Five" and "Safari Six Pack" with good results. I like flap holsters to hide the brass, and both of these are flapped with silent fasteners of the brass post with leather tab variety.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several Murray cartridge holders, have used them for years, and they are TOP QUALITY. I also use an "overbelt" that holds all my other necessities, and can slip it off/on in a second.
As to one being thicker leather than the other, to my mind once you get past a certain point, this really only matters on the soles of my boots! I think supple leather is more important, and personally do not believe you could wear one out in a lifetime of hard use, if you are using it to carry your cartridges.
One good feature, in my opinion, is that Murray(and others) use surgical grade elastic to hold cartridges. They are also stitch-separated individually, this keeps them from moving, rattling, and allows the use of one carrier for a couple of similar-sized calibers, while for proper fit the leather loops should be for one caliber only. The elastic is thick and tight enough that it should not wear out but would be easily replaceable if it ever did.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Murray made me two shellholders out of elephant hide that I provided them with. Am very pleased with the workmanship and these will outlast me. I had a slight modification in their standard design...a small pouch behind the shell holding area where I put a flexible cleaning rod (a Leonard Brownell design). Basically it's a speedometer cable that will in a pinch push a bore obstruction out of the way.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here is what I use.

Nothing fancy, just an Uncle Mikes nylon wide web belt and elastic shell holders. Carry as many or as few as you'd like. I've used this rig for several years. Granted it isn't leather chic, but then again I don't have to worry about the brass changing colors in a leather holder!

Just my opine!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Rusty: The problem I've had with Uncle Mike's stuff is that after a few years, the elastic dry rots and losed elasticity. Regarding the leather products, I have both Murray's and WRs and the WRs are better quality in my opinion. Jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
I agree they will loose thier elasticity, however at the price they sell for you can buy several or replace them.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a flip over wallet type and it is frayed but holds the rounds firmly I have used for over ten yrs. for $10.00 not bad. Also I have discovered the flap hanging down many times but have never lost a round. I don't leave rounds in the wallet when not on a hunting trip.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote