Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A couple of young sable from the Kafue December 2014

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Nice photos, how big is the population there?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a scratch on some of your photos Anton, the population is very good and produces some excellent trophies >45"

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It was good to see a healthy number of young bulls and the future potential is superb.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
What will be on the november menu Smiler

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Fairgame:

Am I the first to say the facial markings of many of Zambia's sables are similar to those shown on photos of Angola's giant sables?

If first noticed the similarity when I compared the photos of a bull I shot in Mumbwa East in 1993 with the bull I killed in Zimbabwe's Matetsi in 1983.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see the young prince being groomed accordingly.

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Looks young and tender. Shame to wait until he's old and tough. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Fairgame:

Am I the first to say the facial markings of many of Zambia's sables are similar to those shown on photos of Angola's giant sables?

If first noticed the similarity when I compared the photos of a bull I shot in Mumbwa East in 1993 with the bull I killed in Zimbabwe's Matetsi in 1983.

Bill Quimby

The facial markings are very distinct and similar to that of the Royal Sable.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Fairgame:

Bill Quimby

Does this hold true across the country, or do the markings become more like those on sables across the Zambezi as one moves east?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Fairgame:

Bill Quimby

Does this hold true across the country, or do the markings become more like those on sables across the Zambezi as one moves east?

Bill Quimby

Bill.. Not many sable in Zambia as you move east of Kafue.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone post of pic of the differences of the sable species?

Thanks, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
D:

There used to be line drawings in the SCI record books, but I don't know about the newer books.

Incidentally, there is only one species (Hippotragus niger) of sable antelope, and three subspecies : giant (royal), common, and Roosevelt.

Bill Quimby

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill!

posted Hide Post
The biggest Sable I have ever seen was at Royal Kafue and probably would have been 50 inches. It was a beast.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Dave1:

That must have been an impressive animal! For me, while a sable is not among Africa's wariest antelope, it is beyond a doubt its most elegant. I could spend hours watching them. The way they run reminds me of a registered quarter horse.

The best sable I've been fortunate to see had what the PH said were 46- to 48-inch horns, and it also was in Zambia. I had shot good bulls on previous trips and did not need a third.

Bill Quimby