New
Find
Notify
Tools

travel question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this in travel forum but I don't think many people check it. Admins, please leave this for a few days. I have not been to Africa in 12 years and want to do one final one at 68. i hate jburg and want to avoid it so I was looking into Qatar, Emirates, and now Ethiopia. The Ethiopia connection in Addis is 1 hour and 15 minutes so a little concern on guns. I would appreciate any advice. Feel free to PM me.

I am thinking of going through Ethiopian airlines to Addis Ababa and then to Vic falls. Anyone know how good Ethiopian Airlines is in business class

York, SC

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did ethiopian Air once. Service fine, plane a bit on the old side. Another way I go to Africa and avoid Joburg is TAP through Lisbon. Long layover sometimes but, There are two hotels within walking distance of the airport so I get a room for a nice nap and a decent meal Smiler No issues with guns on long layover there. Have set this up myself as well as had gracy travel do it other times.

Posts: 1072 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I have not done it but have friends who have and they now avoid?

The rifles pose an inconvenience through Addis.

It can be done. Might not be the happiest trip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew Ethiopia twice, once thru Addis to Lusaka in 20 and thru Addis to Arusha in 21. The business class was good, not a suite but still nice. I would be concerned about the layover, it takes close to a hour to go down to area to check guns then back thru a security check. If you decide to fly Ethiopian if nobody is waiting for you when you land in Addis make sure you let them know at the gate you need your gun checked

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
DAK pretty much summed up my experience in 20. Business class is nice but not extravagant. The short layover would be a concern. There was nobody waiting for me in Addis to check my guns, I flagged down an employee and she got everything straightened out for me so other than a few nervous moments, it all worked out. I flew during COVID and there were only 6 of us in business so the service was exceptional, may be different with a full plane load.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Made a trip a few years ago to Addis in business, alone - completely alone in business class, like someone said old plane, great food and service and Halle Berry type stewardess.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Contact Gracey Travel and the short layover is indeed a concern

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Under normal circumstances, traveling without firearms, I try for at least a 2 hour lay over to change planes!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66948 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Why is everyone so anti Joburg? I have been traveling to Africa every year pretty much since 2006 with the exception of 2020 and never had one issue. Maybe I’m just lucky but everyone has been courteous and met me with a smile. Never had an issue with my luggage or rifles.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
Why is everyone so anti Joburg? I have been traveling to Africa every year pretty much since 2006 with the exception of 2020 and never had one issue. Maybe I’m just lucky but everyone has been courteous and met me with a smile. Never had an issue with my luggage or rifles.

I totally agree

Posts: 137 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We've been living in Johannesburg for the last 6 months and have been totally fine. We have a vehicle and we drive and travel all over greater Johannesburg and have been to many places, sports activities, numerous luncheons and dinners each week, daily shopping, weekly golfing, etc. etc. We also walk 2-3 miles in the neighborhood each and every morning with a group of others, and there are cyclists, runners and others. We attend Church services in the very large Daveyton Township (98.5 % black with the rest colored or Indian) located about 45 minutes from our apartment each and every Sunday and we are the ONLY whites there. But we are careful and prudent. We do find ourselves at the airport occasionally-in fact, we were there last Tuesday afternoon. We made a trip to Vic Falls in November, flying out of and back into OR Tambo. No problems. Again, like anywhere else, you just have to be careful where and when you travel and be cognizant at all times. I have traveled on 16 safaris (with firearms each time) previously and nearly all of them have had us traveling through OR Tambo. On only one occasion did we find items missing from our luggage and it was likely taken when we were returning on that safari from Vic Falls. On one other occasion in all of those safaris, there was an attempted break-in of the room next to ours at Africa Sky the night we stayed there. But then again, I am speaking from my personal experience.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:

You were very lucky!

I personally know several people who have had their luggage robbed!

Avoid that shithole as you would the plague!

The government is implicit in this.

They stopped it during the FIFA World CUP!!

How come?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66948 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Larry, with a 1 hour & 15 minute layover, you will not make your connection given that you have to go downstairs for the Ethiopians to check your already checked guns and ammo. It takes time and can be a very long walk. I had to do this in December of 2019 with a bad knee and it was a long, painful walk. But, they held the plane till I got on board. A 767 full of passengers was 45 minutes late departing because they wanted to check my guns. Give me a call if you want more details.

My suggestion is to fly Emirates or Qatar, your big body won’t be sorry you did.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. Enough for me to avoid. This will be my 13th Safari and i have taken guns everytime.

York, SC