THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Africa air charter costs--why so high
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa air charter costs--why so high
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
So the $2-4000/day you pay in daily rates doesn’t include the delivery of your food. You have to pay for that, too? Damn, what a deal for the company. They get to mark up the charter fees to the client( and I was told that by a Tz outfitter and his former partner, whose is a good friend). No wonder the safari business there is getting shaky. Say it ain’t so!!

+1

Just another line item expense to charge clients and to make money on.

Zim conservancies are better than tanz for me . You get to see live elephants and rhinos too.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell!

Next we are going to have clients asking for money back because the camp staff are eating all the meat of the animals he has paid for and shot! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about all the other cargo that got put on a truck and disappeared to another camp?

You caught us out on that one - I never realized the truck was on charter as well. animal

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They get to mark up the charter fees to the client( and I was told that by a Tz outfitter and his former partner, whose is a good friend).

That unfortunately is a fact. Some do, some don't and if it might interest you, those who don't will get the 10-15% commission fee deducted from the rate. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zim conservancies are better than tanz for me . You get to see live elephants and rhinos too.

Its a free world - by all means go to Zim.

You might even be lucky and get to see Old Bob walking down the street and get his autograph. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

You might even be lucky and get to see Old Bob walking down the street and get his autograph. Big Grin

And I do and I go to Botswana and Moz too.

Just don’t bitch when all the famous high dollar operators shut down in Tanzania.

I feel pretty safe in Zim and Botswana.

I will be fishing in Tanzania, Kenya, Moz and Madagascar. Will leave the hunting to others.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a little example of why it cost so much.
Last year (2017) it cost me $500 to have my airstrip inspected and approved by th Civil Aviation Authority.
This year (2018) it cost me $1250
This is just a small bush strip where maybe 10 planes land per year

The authorities keep pushing the price up not knowing they are strangling the goose. On one side the government says they want to promote tourism and on the other side they try and kill it.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

Just don’t bitch when all the famous high dollar operators shut down in Tanzania.

I will be fishing in Tanzania, Kenya, Moz and Madagascar. Will leave the hunting to others.

Mike

As I said Mike, "Its a free world" and I certainly am not the one bitching.

On more interesting topics, where in TZ will you be fishing?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be Tanzanian professional hunters can offer drives to their camps, at a price some might not object to.

I know certain places take two full days of driving.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It is not that difficult to call up a charter company and pay for and arrange your own flight.

I advise all my hunters to do this and recommend companies that I would feel save with. Most seem to be able to negotiate a better rate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything is negotiable in Africa... as in everything.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

As I said Mike, "Its a free world" and I certainly am not the one bitching.

On more interesting topics, where in TZ will you be fishing?

Mike Payne (zim ph) and his brother (who lives in Zambia) are organizing). May be more trolling focused for bill fish.

I would like to fish Latham Island for monster dog tooth tuna.

Mike

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
OH,MY, seems this is a sensitive subject...thought it was only me!!

I expect the reason we have seen the proliferation of Cessna Caravans is the fact that avgas is getting harder and harder to get all over the world, consequently even MORE EXPENSIVE, and that most countries have abandoned 100/130 octane for 100 Low Lead which the bigger old Cessna 206 and twins like the 402-414, and Piper Navajo all like...and they stopped producing those old Queens...so they are now over 30 years old and hard to maintain...let alone make passengers comfortable and confident!! Cessna stopped building all piston singles in 1986 when the Product Liability insurance got to be more expensive than the aircraft!! The Statute of Repose finally was passed in US which gives manufacturers protection from frivolous attorneys...Cessna started producing again in 2000...and by then the CARAVAN's had taken hold. further, you can operate a turbine on Diesel in a pinch, and all of the airlines use Jet-A fuel...so it is available at any airport where there is commercial service.
Clearly, the Caravan is an overkill for most bush and safari requirements....but that's what the operators have gone to....so we all pay...much more than necessary because of the bigger and more expensive aircraft....

An interesting observation I have made over the years is that even VERY Wealthy folks recoil at outrageous prices...and eventually, prices tend to settle back to the "no Squawks" levels over time. When Daddy Warbucks just pays...it only validates ridiculous or outrageous pricing...which affects all buyers...like others have said, if the package doesn't add up...don't do it...the operators eventually get the point!! I have not hunted TZ, either!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Could be the criminal charter company, like the one in TZ years ago that switched the contracted aircraft to a smaller one with an inexperienced African pilot. Ended up crashing while trying to land to pick me up at the Luquati landing strip. Sure the wrecked aircraft is still there. That one cost the charter co. Some $.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

I expect the reason we have seen the proliferation of Cessna Caravans is the fact that avgas is getting harder and harder to get all over the world, consequently even MORE EXPENSIVE, and that most countries have abandoned 100/130 octane for 100 Low Lead which the bigger old Cessna 206 and twins like the 402-414, and Piper Navajo all like...and they stopped producing those old Queens...so they are now over 30 years old and hard to maintain...let alone make passengers comfortable and confident!! Cessna stopped building all piston singles in 1986 when the Product Liability insurance got to be more expensive than the aircraft!! The Statute of Repose finally was passed in US which gives manufacturers protection from frivolous attorneys...Cessna started producing again in 2000...and by then the CARAVAN's had taken hold. further, you can operate a turbine on Diesel in a pinch, and all of the airlines use Jet-A fuel...so it is available at any airport where there is commercial service.
Clearly, the Caravan is an overkill for most bush and safari requirements....but that's what the operators have gone to....so we all pay...much more than necessary because of the bigger and more expensive aircraft....

An interesting observation I have made over the years is that even VERY Wealthy folks recoil at outrageous prices...and eventually, prices tend to settle back to the "no Squawks" levels over time. When Daddy Warbucks just pays...it only validates ridiculous or outrageous pricing...which affects all buyers...like others have said, if the package doesn't add up...don't do it...the operators eventually get the point!! I have not hunted TZ, either!!

Cheers,

But look at it this way. The Caravan allows the outfitter to bring a LOT of supplies each trip-on your dime of course. Saves them a lot to have the clients pay to supply the camp..... coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
YUP!! BANG ON!!

That said, since I have been flying a Caravan from time to time...mostly on floats, I have become pretty spoiled....that said, I can't afford to buy one...as I can a Cessna 206. It is not hard to overload a 206 especially with a cargo pack on them....I prefer turbines, but can afford pistons and all of their thrashing and noisy exhaust....and pistons tend to quit more often that turbines too...and in the bush in Africa is NOT a place to be making an unscheduled emergency landing!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Africa is NOT a place to be making an unscheduled emergency landing!!"

I can think of worst places.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

Cheers,

But look at it this way. The Caravan allows the outfitter to bring a LOT of supplies each trip-on your dime of course. Saves them a lot to have the clients pay to supply the camp..... coffee

What I find interesting is the trip I did with acute angling to remote areas of the amazon included the float plane flight in and out.

That trip cost was I think $5,500 all in (everything included). The flight in allowed me 30 pounds of stuff. Also on the plane was a lot of supplies for camp including drinking water.

The location was as remote as anyplace in africa. The food included chicken and meat flown in with us along with fish caught in the river.

I just think Africa has become a racket with charter flights and now I am seeing exceptionally high road transfer costs.

I have a remote fishing trip to Papua next year and there is a long remote charter flight and the cost is $800 per person for a group of 6.

Its discretionary dollars at the end of the day - there will be alternatives for it elsewhere. The issue I would have is if my outfitter is marking up prices with charter company or getting a kickback.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The issue I would have is if my outfitter is marking up prices with charter company or getting a kickback.

Agreed 100% - just not cricket!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Caravan is by far the safest and more versatile plane for bush work with good payload to boot.

If you don't want the outfitter to load YOUR plane with YOUR food, tell him so and maybe let him know that if there is no alternative, then he should meet part of the charter cost. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My son does fishing charters PM me if interested.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Every business marks prices up, or they would go bust!

You buy at X price, you sell at X+Y.

Nothing wrong with that.

I see in the US that a woman was suing McDonalds for $5 millions because she ordered a cheeseburger, without, the cheese, and they did not get the price of the cheese deducted from the price! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Pm sent.

Thanks,

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pm sent.

Thanks,

Mike

Latham can be awesome if the timing is right, getting through the rips on the way there isn't so much fun. Definitely worth doing, it is quite an experience to fish for a whole day and not see another sport fishing boat.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Every business marks prices up, or they would go bust!

You buy at X price, you sell at X+Y.

Nothing wrong with that.

I see in the US that a woman was suing McDonalds for $5 millions because she ordered a cheeseburger, without, the cheese, and they did not get the price of the cheese deducted from the price! clap

We have too many lawyers in this country. Our system needs to changed to where the loser pays the costs and this type of thing would stop.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Speak to God! He will get you a plane!

Say you speak to god... old ladies worried about hell will give you all their life savings so you can buy the plane!

Great racket to get in to if:
1. you can con folks in to believing you-
2. You have no conscience
3. You are not worried about meeting god at the other end... Jesus is coming, and man is he P****d off!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

We have too many lawyers in this country. Our system needs to changed to where the loser pays the costs and this type of thing would stop.

BANG ON, Larry!! That's why Cessna stopped building piston aircraft in 1985....because of frivolous law suits chasing the deep pockets of the manufacturer vs the NUT BEHIND THE STICK...that 9 times outa 10...causes the accident!!

Statute of Repose finally gave the manufacturers relief from Liability and a limit on years of responsibility!! Now they're back building piston singles...a fine 206 too!!

Do you know that the US is the ONLY country in the world where attorneys can share in the winnings of their clients....NO WONDER there are so many suits...where the client only wins or doesn't pay...and the Attorney SHARES the BOOTY!! Now Go FIGURE!!

The British system, generally followed in Africa as well...REQUIRES the Plaintiffs to put up a bond to cover defendants legal fees if they lose!! Now that stops most ambulance chaser Plaintiffs dead in their tracks!!...they can't afford the Bond in many cases!!

It would NOT surprise me that down the track a bit that President Trump jumps on that wagon and PISSES OFF THE TRIAL LAWYERS....BIG TIME...maybe after second election, or on his way out?? Here's HOPING!! No more Contingent law suits and no more splitting the booty....That would do it!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you guys is I know a little about aircraft operating costs and what most charge in Africa, is criminal. I was ready to book another Safari in Zim a few years back that included a charter flight from Harare to the hunting area, about an hour's flight time. The cost was 3800 bucks. Screw that. Granted it was in 2005, but when I hunted with John Sharp (who had his own airplane), the cost was 650 bucks ROUND TRIP from Bulawayo into Dande North.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
All I can tell you guys is I know a little about aircraft operating costs and what most charge in Africa, is criminal. I was ready to book another Safari in Zim a few years back that included a charter flight from Harare to the hunting area, about an hour's flight time. The cost was 3800 bucks. Screw that. Granted it was in 2005, but when I hunted with John Sharp (who had his own airplane), the cost was 650 bucks ROUND TRIP from Bulawayo into Dande North.

The point do you know what is involved to set up and operate a charter company in Africa?

I know several people who tried setting up business in Africa.

They all gave up!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I do not, but I do know costs per/hr and even multiplying it ten fold, it still does not justify a 3800 cost for an airplane with under 200 dollars/hour operating cost.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much like "shipping and dipping" fees, it is just another way to gouge the "rich" foreign hunters.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
When I see charter costs that are repulsive, I react to the perpetrator.... " I DON'T WANT TO BUY YOUR AIRPLANE, ONLY USE IT FOR A FEW HOURS!!"
Having done a bit of flying in Africa, I have seen the SEVERE Military control some of the Countries place on private flying. Almost like they are afraid of some serious security breach, advanced flight plans and all.
I expect as in most African countries there is very strenuous application and regulation that is frivolous and expensive...intended to fleece the company owners and their clients.
Now that said, there are a lot of successful photo safari operators who use charter aircraft...and not only the high end Tauck and A&K operators...Overseas Adventure Travel, etc. Normal tourist travelers use them regularly, admittedly, much higher volume and scheduled regularity and probably advance negotiated contracts for flights?? This drives costs down.
I have actually only seen one Tanzania operator who includes the charters in his prices...he is very successful and we all know him here...
So it can be done!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have actually only seen one Tanzania operator who includes the charters in his prices...he is very successful and we all know him here...

Yep, and a fine gent he is!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member