THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    ???? gifts and stuff for the local kids

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

???? gifts and stuff for the local kids
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
On my prior trips, I have always taken a bunch of stuff for the local kids --- everything from t-shirts to pencils to hard candy etc.
Was trying to figure out what to take on next week's trip to Zim when my Dentist says take toothbrushes!! --- whereupon she gives me a box full of samples that she normally gives to clients -- box has toothbrushes and toothpaste galore -- I am really not sure that the locals (kids) will understand how to use these -- guess I really don't know and am thus looking for advice on the toothbrushes and toothpaste before I drag them over there with my other goodies.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
These kids will be so happy to see you. They will dance with joy to see the great white hunter show up with a gift bag.

... wonder what they will hurl when they see it is toothbrushes, maybe something hard that hurts or softer that gets the point across and smells a bit animal

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
How about Toothbrushes & Candy...

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Toothbrushes are a good idea. My wife just brought a BUNCH of them to the local orphanage/school when we were in Botswana last week. We couldn't believe what they pay for them. (the teachers did admit they only make the kids brush 2 times a week because it takes a couple hours fo them to get 100 kids through the process. Not a good thing to tell her because she's a dentist!)

She also brought tons of pencils, colored pencils, other supplies, sandals (cheap here this time of year as summer is OVER)and a bunch of small stuffed toys and some nerf balls, bats, frisbees, etc.

The Italian lady that ran the place was so excited as she was going to save most of the toys for Christmas allowing her to use some of the little $$ she had set aside for presents for other needs.

The kids were very happy to see them coming, did the songs and dances for them, and were very proud of their school.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We took toothbrushes and related items that my dentist donated to the Namibia School for the Blind in '07. Also took a bunch of blind-education related materials and games. They were well received. Don't know how this sort of gift would play in some of the other safari outfits where you are dealing only with camp staff.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
A bit of an embarassing question -- do they understand what toothpaste is for --- or will they think it is something to eat?

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes we do have toothpaste over here and generally 99% of people in the rural areas will know what it is, i for one think the brushes and toothpaste will be well received.

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
A bit of an embarassing question -- do they understand what toothpaste is for --- or will they think it is something to eat?

rotflmo

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In Zambia any time you go by a rural village in early morning you will always see the men outside in a group brushing their teeth, while the women are sweeping the grounds. That is a morning ritual in the Luangwa Valley villages.

The tooth brushes will be well recieved, as well as t-shirts and/or shorts for the kids. The little kids like cars, so small plastic toy trucks or cars will be grabbed quickly.

I have a friend who hunts Africa every year, and he owns a chain of dry cleaners. If you visit any of the villages in the Luangwa valley or the town of Mfuwe, you will see base ball type caps with "COMET CLEANERS" on them everywhere! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
In Zambia any time you go by a rural village in early morning you will always see the men outside in a group brushing their teeth, while the women are sweeping the grounds. That is a morning ritual in the Luangwa Valley villages.

The tooth brushes will be well recieved, as well as t-shirts and/or shorts for the kids. The little kids like cars, so small plastic toy trucks or cars will be grabbed quickly.

I have a friend who hunts Africa every year, and he owns a chain of dry cleaners. If you visit any of the villages in the Luangwa valley or the town of Mfuwe, you will see base ball type caps with "COMET CLEANERS" on them everywhere! Big Grin

Take a close look at any indigenous african's teeth - whiter than white and in better shape than ours. Mostly brushed with
sticks cut from a special bush, (one end is chewed and it turns into a mass of bristles) they don't really need our fancy
soft/med/hard, double or triple bristles (commercial gimmick); furthermore, give them tooth brushes and they'll need
toothpaste (costs money).

For the kids: footballs (deflate and easy to pack) - one ball serves a whole bunch of them so with 10 balls one could make at
least 220 kids happy!

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our last trip we took tee shirts, visors, pencils, papers, candy etc. The hit with the kids were balloons. I don't think many had seen them before and had a ball with them after our PH trained the parents how to blow them up. The first one that was over inflated really brought down the house!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Footballs means soccer balls and they are well received, but don't forget a hand pump with inflation needle! Individual wrapped hard candies are always good to have in the truck to hand out to kids seen on the roads going to/from school or in the villages - the trackers and game rangers will also appreciate them during the day. If there is a school in your area, then paper, small notebooks, pencils and a pencil sharpener are really welcomed. Clothing items are always needed.

After weighing my bags at home, I always go to the maximum weight allowed by adding such items for the locals and the camp staff. Nothing goes to waste in Africa.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to really do something beneficial give money. The airlines won't screw you on up charge for extra weight and the people can purchase what they need.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
If you want to really do something beneficial give money. The airlines won't screw you on up charge for extra weight and the people can purchase what they need.
I gotta go with the money too. I pretty much need all the weight allowance for thing that I need for my hunt- ammo, binos, clothes, boots,sun screen, etc., etc. I am sure the locals like the stuff like balloons, balls, ball pumps, hard candy, etc. They also appreciate the needed protein from the animals we shoot and the cash tips at the end of the hunt. Playing Albert Schweitzer may be more than you can pack in your baggage. Maybe a seperate shipment of school supplies, personal hygene, and recreational materials if this is what you want? I used to take a lot of the stuff like flashlights, ball caps, radios, sun glasses, pocket knives - and though they were appreciated, I think the locals really prefer cash $$$.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I understood the question to be about what to take for kids, yes? Taking money for kids is ridiculous! Few 7-11 stores in the bush. Try reading the original post. And I doubt anyone here is playing at A. Schweitzer, rather simply having some compassion for children. holycow

I completely agree with tipping adult staff well, but that is not the OPs question.

Cheers beer

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
A few members of our local SCI have brough SCI "blue bags" loaded with gifts and they had a letter from SCI saying that the contents where charity and neither airlines charged them for an extra bag.

http://www.newisci.com/blue_bag.html

I am not sure if is a policy of the airlines or just a nice person at the counter.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote