Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New H&H Calibers
 Login/Join

posted
I just read that H&H has intro'd two new big game calibers, the 400H&H as well as the 465H&H Rimless magnums. Go to their website and look under the "News" heading.

www.hollandandholland.com/news/0107_cartridges.htm

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 12-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 12-20-2001).]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
John S
It looks like, What goes around, comes around. I think it is a good choice for them
and it coveres all of the bases now, from the .375 up. Do you know what bullet diameter they will use? 416 or 411?? I would bet it will be a 416.
George

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Aw crud, just when I thought I had a handle on my "gun problem" they come out with something like this.

The first step is admitting you have a problem... I am screwed.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

[This message has been edited by Buffalobwana (edited 12-20-2001).]

Posts: 6257 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like H&H failed to consult with his holiness General Boddington before bringing out 'another unnecessary caliber'!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Antonio>
posted
Oh no?!!!?

Another one?...

Antonio

<noabitaboutalot>
posted
George H,

From the text, it looks like the bullets are indeed .400" and .465" nominal Diameters. Couldn't find any other data to confirm this, though. I wish they had picture/sketches of these new cartridges!

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I think about this more, I am beginning to suspec that H&H wants proprietary chamberings for its rifles so that it can charge $500 a box for ammo.

I heard that they charge $1000 per round for 700 NE ammo (reloads run about $65 per round). Has anyone else heard that?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody found that place where they offer "comprehensive details" about the new rounds?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
As I think about this more, I am beginning to suspec that H&H wants proprietary chamberings for its rifles so that it can charge $500 a box for ammo.

I heard that they charge $1000 per round for 700 NE ammo (reloads run about $65 per round). Has anyone else heard that?

I hope you are off by an order of magnitude! The article I read about the 700 NE stated ammo was $100 a round. Brass and component bullets are very expensive, but not that exspensive.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bjorn Klappe>
posted
Wonderful! Excellent news!

What the world needs most is new hunting calibers, none of the old ones worked.

Bjorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I hope you are off by an order of magnitude! The article I read about the 700 NE
stated ammo was $100 a round. Brass and component bullets are very expensive,
but not that exspensive."

Brass goes for $35 each, bullets are $4 each plus powder.

A ph who knows 2 guys who have H&H 700's told me that Holland and Holland charges them $1000 per round for loaded ammo. I am just looking for independent confirmation. I guess I could call H&H on the phone and ask, but...

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brass goes for $35 each, bullets are $4 each plus powder.

A ph who knows 2 guys who have H&H 700's told me that Holland and Holland charges them $1000 per round for loaded ammo. I am just looking for independent confirmation. I guess I could call H&H on the phone and ask, but...

If H&H can pull that off, more power to them! Perhaps $1k per box?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Unless H&H makes the round available to the rest of the industry, I doubt they'll stick around long.
H&H doesn't sell enough bolt-action rifles to make it worthwhile to produce the ammo.

In addition, the ballistics of the .400H&H are roughly equivalent to the .416Rigby, and the .465H&H is equivalent to a .458 Lott.
They're trying to break into a crowded field.
George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bjorn,

Don't get so excited. Just because we won't have to use those OLD .416 Rigbys and .470 Nitro's. Not to speak of that old fashioned .375 H&H. Another case of fixing something that wasn't broken or, if you will, a solution for which there was no problem!
Rich Elliott

------------------
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is just what I needed to hear. All that's needed is for a few companies like Winchester, CZ or Ruger to offer their Safari Grade guns in these two cals and I'll be completely screwed next time I go to buy a gun. Oh why can't companies make the same 3 different cartridges so that I have an easier time figuring out what to buy?

Sorry, I was feeling a bit facetious there.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My theory about this announcement is that they needed something to sell! Maybe they can't sell enough double rifles to keep them going, and God forbid them chamber their rifles to another company's cartridge!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Why not new H$H cartridges? Dakota did it rather successfully.

More importantly, I hope there is something left to hunt with them.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-21-2001).]

Posts: 19331 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, when are these unholy terrors going to come out?

------------------

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Did someone say .400?

Hmmm, that would mean a .400 bullet would become available, which would mean we could make a .400 Whelen that had enough shoulder to headspace........

Bring it on! LOL! Dutch.

(man, I've got it bad)!

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 500grains:
Hi 500grains,
I purchased a 700 Nitro cartridge from Holland and Holland at the SCI show and it was $100.00 US which is like a $1000.00 Canadian. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe we do have a currency problem on the H&H 700 NE ammo. Perhaps they charge $1000 ZIM dollars for it, not US$1000.

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
here's a thought:
Charles Daly is selling mauser actions w/ magazine lengths in 3 sizes 2-7/8", 3-3/8" and 3-11/16". buy the 375 H&H length action, get yourself a good bbl and stock and the reamers, go, no-go gauges, etc. and make yourself a nice little 465H&H.

------------------

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
My office is 2 minutes walk from their London shop. I'll go in today and pump them for some more info...

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just what the bwanas have been waiting for since 1912! The 400 H&H! Close enough to the 396 BAM (396 Bwana's All-around Magnum)!

This is the niche between .375 and .416 caliber that has been too sparsely populated for far too long. There never has been enough of those 10mm/.40 caliber bullets of premium construction. Surely H&H will fix this!

Now the indecisive with trouble deciding between .375 and .416 will have it easy, if not cheap.

I can't wait. Yawn. I just hope they don't use that dreadful belted H&H case. Surely they will come up with a totally new beltless case with an unheard of head size and non-rebated rim. HO HUM.

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Gentlemen:

Their choices in accesories, clothing, caliber and guns are of such a nature that they will always be in a market-niche where the catering is done for those with a taste for the very best, the very expensive and last but not least with extreme exclusivity.

ie guns and calibers where the shooter can truelly claim he owns a first or at least one of a very select few.

[This message has been edited by ALF (edited 12-21-2001).]

They also have quite a few Sako's in the rack.....

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hey
How funny, Mr Boddington has not been able to convince H&H that they are wrong.

I guess Mr Boddington will lift these cartridges to the sky, if he can go hunting and get a few free rifle from H&H. Most likely H&H are NOT giving away rifles even if you are Brigadier general and smart ass turkey from USA.

I hope they use the old 375 H&H case with the belt reamed off.I'm looking forward to hear about the new cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I heard that they charge $1000 per round for 700 NE ammo

I think you're off by a factor of 10. The figure I read for 700 NE ammunition was $100 per round.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I just spent a useful half hour with Pat Murphy the bloke whose idea these new cartridges are. He showed me a prototype of the 400H&H. It was made on a 416 Rem Mag case but with a long tapered shoulder. Apparently it will fit a standard 98 action.

They had 8 on order already.

Here is a scan of a hand-out he gave me.

In addition to the Sakos in the rack I spotted a couple of Ruger Number 1s in 375H&H and 416 Rigby. Also a very nice H&H 300H&H Bolt rifle � yours for �13,000!

Interestingly they had just delivered a 465 (I think he said) Ackley bolt rifle with a full-length stock and a 20 inch barrel � unusual.

They showed me a nice new 500 in a new grade of double they are making. They are calling it the �Field Grade� and the cost will be �40,000. Previously their double started at �75,000. Here is a photo I took of two prototypes in 300 H&H and 500 (top). Anyone tempted?

------------------
Regards

Richard

[This message has been edited by Deerdogs (edited 12-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Deerdogs (edited 12-21-2001).]

<Antonio>
posted
Thanks for the info and pictures Richard.

400 grains at .400" give a very large SD of .357, so these bullets should out-penetrate 400gr/416 and 300gr/375 bullets.

Are the new cases beltless or did they keep the belt of the 416 Rem case?

Any idea what bullets they will load?

Antonio

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, if one was able to just "pop in" at H&H I'd probably be there much to often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I did my math right (which i probably didn't) these field grade guns are $60 grand on the American side of currency. At exactly what point does a $60,000 rifle become field grade?

------------------

<Rusty>
posted
Richard,
Thanks for the information and pictures!
Great stuff!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Curtis,

I think this is when the theory of relativity comes into play. (Not Albert E's Theory)

Relative to the cost of a Remchester it makes the average guy week in the knees.

However, relative to the $110,000 price tag on the standard H&H double (before adding options) it is a gun for the peasants and servants to bring to the field. I'm sure no "real gentleman" would bring such a crude device to the hunt.

------------------
J.W.

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Antonio:

They have retained the belt and with the long shallow shoulder they will need this to headspace from.

Regarding bullets - I understand that despite its name the 400H&H will use .416" bullets (in the same way .318 Westley Richards is a .33 bullet). I presume they are measuring the 400 land to land.

Indeed the factory cartridges are to be produced by Wolfgang Romey using Woodleigh bullets.

Wachtel: H&H are closest but Boss, William Evans and Purdey are all within 10 minutes walk! I wish I had the money to be a regular customer rather than a regular drooler!

Happy Christmas all.

------------------
Regards

Richard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ho Ho Ho! So the 400 H&H is a 416 Hoffman/Remington with yet another name. pretty tricky! What is the actual caliber of the 465 H&H?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Pumba>
posted
John S and George H,

If I take what they write in their web site copy literally, they are going to use a .400" diameter bullet for the 400 Holland and Holland, and a .465" bullet for the 465 Holland and Holland.

As regards the 400 H&H, a 400 grain bullet at 2,350 fps is not competitive with the 416 Remington or the 416 Rigby. I do not understand why they didn't match the 416 Remington's 2,400 fps muzzle velocity.

As regards the 465 H&H, a 480 grain bullet is too light. This diameter bullet should weight 535 grains to match the sectional density of the 500 grain .458" bullet and the original 410 grain .416" bullet.

Sorry, but I don't think they have their act together on this one.

Good Hunting !

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Pumba,

Let me preface my remarks with the Chinese proverb "The excellent is the enemy of the good".

Second cartridges -- and rifles too -- need balance to work well in the field.

Gunmaker Holland has their own tradition, and it looks like to this outsider that they are remaining true to their design principles with these cartridges. Their design looks to offer reliable feeding, safe pressures in hot climates and adequate magazine capacity in a rifle. These designs look balanced to me.

A .400 caliber 400 grain bullet at 2,350 fps muzzle velocity is certainly competitive with a .416 grain bullet at 2,400 fps in the hunting field, but perhaps not in the marketing brochure.

Field use of the .500-.465 H&H for getting on to the century mark also demonstrates that the 480 grain bullets they load in the cartridge works, and works well. And that cartridge was loaded to 2,150 fps MV IIRC.

I don't know if the SD of a .458"/500 grain bullet is a magic point, but I expect that it is not. Another rule of thumb is an SD of at least .300 is required for these cartridges. I expect that this rule is not exact either, but somewhere around that point there is a band of sectional densities that works. You don't want the bullet too short, or too long.

I have a BRNO 602 in .375 H&H that I was thinking about rebarelling from a medium to a heavy, and the .465 H&H would work fine for me.

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HunterJim, keep us informed, interesting project!

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Wachtel,

Now all I have to do is line up the gunsmith, the barrel, a reamer and some kind of supply of factory cases (or ammo), but tasks like these are almost as much fun as shooting!

I will report on progress.

Does anyone have any information on who is loading the ammunition for H&H? I have emailed two people I know in the trade in the UK, but no reply yet. I was thinking KYNAMCO or Wolfgang Romey.

jim dodd

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote