THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Where to get 100% cotton hunting pants and shirts?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get 100% cotton hunting pants and shirts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where can I find 100% cotton short sleeved shirts and pants for Africa? I used to get them at Cabelas or Orvis but all I see is the very light and thin polyester stuff.
Thanks

Posts: 10354 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have got them from Filson and LL Bean, but it was years ago.

Posts: 761 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Where can I find 100% cotton short sleeved shirts and pants for Africa? I used to get them at Cabelas or Orvis but all I see is the very light and thin polyester stuff.
Thanks

I wear either Wrangler Rigs or Dickies carpenter jeans in forest green. Buy the Dickies at Walmart. Wrangler Rigs cargo jeans on Amazon.

Another good option for pants is Gravel Gear carpenter pants. Northern Tool usually carries them.

Wrangler also makes some nice double pocketed safari type shirts in forest green as well. I buy these on Amazon at the Wrangler Store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37667 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Thanks

I find that thin, quick drying polyester stuff to be hot. I feel much cooler in an all-cotton shirt, like the old Cabela's Safari Shirts, that were discontinued. I also loved the pockets on those shirts, the first generation better than the 2nd gen.

You might look at some of the Carhartt short sleeve work shirts. I recently bought one in tan that is pretty decent.

Posts: 520 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21608 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27 | Location: Hye,Texas | Registered: 06 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/e...n-down-shirt-for-men

I have the long sleeve version and it works perfectly.

For pants, I just wear old chino cotton pants in khaki and green that I no longer wear to the office.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
TAG Safari

I just wish Tag could figure out how to sew buttons on. Sucks to buy a $50- 60 dollar shirt and have to work on all the buttons before you wash or wear it.

Posts: 520 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
TAG Safari

I just wish Tag could figure out how to sew buttons on. Sucks to buy a $50- 60 dollar shirt and have to work on all the buttons before you wash or wear it.

Same with me on the button issue, and the long sleeves are a bit too short a bit tight above the elbow (guess I’ve got ape arms Wink)

Karl Evans

Posts: 2892 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
shirts $18 tan and green

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Kap...porting%2C149&sr=1-3

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10131 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Years ago we had a company called CAMFIS that had showroom here in Dubai.

Great cotton clothes which I used for years on safari.

They closed shop, and moved to Singapore.

One of our people was going there, so asked him to but me shirts from them.

He did.

They were totally different design, and were not cotton any more.

I but shirts and trousers off Amazon.

I leave them in camp for staff of my size.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68500 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an Ariat rebar 100% cotton work shirt for South African Safari last year. Well made and I like it.

Most western stores carry them and Amazon has them.

Also, you can find lightly used Cabelas safari shirts on EBAY.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Begno,
Those are Boddington's "safari worn" clothes....

If you remember that mess from years ago...

Posts: 10354 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not as well made as the old cabelas
Shirts but cotton and full featured
With roll up sleeves, zippered and button pockets, etc. my wife unstitched the
Pocket front to make them bellow pocket.

Walkabout Long-sleeved Safari/Photo Shirt, Zipper pocket
Steve

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, miss the Cabela's Serengeti shirts. They were stoutly built but surprisingly not "hot" to wear. And they wore like iron. I finally retired the half dozen I've had for 15 years, as they were getting quite threadbare, particularly in the collars and underarms.

I've switched to Tag shirts for hunting. Wore them to Zim last year and was pretty happy with them.

Daily wear, I've been buying Avedon and Colby shirts. They're expensive, but nicely made. I've a few of their bush shirt, a pilot's shirt, a few linens, and a few of their oxfords. I love the pilot's shirt, its made with airplane cloth, I wish they made it in more than one color. Annoyingly, some do have an issue with button thread (particularly their linen shirts). I just have them all oversewn when I get them. Their denim jeans are insanely nice.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, a man only needed four materials for his entire wardrobe: cotton, wool, silk and leather.

Nowadays, synthetic materials are used for everything we wear.

Because of the amazing synthetics that have been developed, cotton hunting shirts are getting hard to find.

But I don't miss them at all for hunting in hot weather.

They soak up sweat and stay soaking wet and therefore uncomfortable for a very long time. For hot weather, give me a good synthetic every time. The same is true for trousers. Once your denims get wet, they will stay wet until hours after you take them off!

But if you're in the market, Filson still sells good, long-lasting cotton shirts. Look for the mid-weight Safari Cloth or even better the lightweight 3 oz. Feather Cloth. Sadly, they're not made in the USA anymore, but what is?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13599 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have my old Cabelas cotton button down short and long sleeves shirts but I didf ind a Columbia PFG shirt very comfortable chasing Waterbuck in 105 degrees. They make a good dark khaki color, or at least they did.

Edit: Turns out they are actually 100% cotton too. https://www.columbia.com/p/men...ar_1011671_color=160

Posts: 1515 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't really use the synthetics... One stray cigar ash destroys 'em.

Cabelas still a couple 100% cotton:

RedHead Ripstop Long-Sleeve is $24.99. You can always roll up long sleeve...
Short-Sleeve, they have RedHead Stonewash Canvas, 100% cotton peached canvas... whatever that is. L for $14.77 on clearance.
RedHead flex stonewash says it's 98% cotton.

Posts: 446 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in Carhart jeans, green, and TAG shirts. All 100% cotton. Have hunted in TAG pants in the past, but they are thin and I shredded them on a hunt once. So I use the Carhart pants. But still like the TAG shirts. Their dye lots are not consistent, but the color doesn't really matter.

Posts: 10263 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do re-sew all the buttons on the TAG shirts before leaving.

Posts: 10263 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Cape Union Mart in SA. Quality clothing and good prices. Means that you have to spend a day shopping in SA before your safari!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2316 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Go on eBay and search for "Trail Design" shirts and vests.

Trail Design apparel is cotton and works well as safari gear.

I have some I bought back in the '90s that I still wear for outdoor work--by now they're pretty frayed but still serviceable.

I really like their cotton multi-pocket vests.

Of course, finding a size will be hit-and-miss, but the prices are very reasonable.

I wore Trail Design on two African safaris and a stag hunt in Scotland, plus several excursions here in the U.S.

I wish Trail Design was still in business. Frowner

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Cape Union Mart in SA. Quality clothing and good prices. Means that you have to spend a day shopping in SA before your safari!

Or, if you are passing through JNB onward to RSA or other Southern African countries, you can simply go to their store in the international terminal.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13372 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took this shirt with me on my recent hunt in the Eastern Cape. Made by Dickies, it is 98% cotton and is ripstop. It is called the FLEX Ripstop LS Shirt.

https://www.dickies.com/long-s...eve-shirt/WL703.html

The other thing I did was order some Salty's 100% cotton shirts from what seems the South African version of Amazon called Takealot. I arranged to have them delivered directly to my outfitter.

I just noticed that you said short sleeve. The Dickies Flex Ripstop shirts are also available in short sleeve 98% cotton versions.

John Richardson
No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
Http://onlygunsandmoney.com

Posts: 79 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carhartt

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
All of my Safari pants are made by Carharrt and purchased USED ON EBAY. I just bought a pair of pants for $18.00 with free postage. They’re made in the USA, not some Commie shithole.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the unfortunate answer is that we cotton fanciers have been left behind. I guard my old featherweight Filson shirts with my life when my wife wants to pitch them because the collars are frayed. I bought several of the Boyt shirts and they are nice but heavier. The LL Bean were ok but no longer available. Thinking about buying some cotton Guayaberas and dying them green.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Google search for cotton fabrics from India may be the answer as India is a leading manufacturer of cotton wear.

Posts: 2023 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use TAG short sleeve shirts with a shirtsleeve Under Armor t shirt underneath and for pants it’s mostly pants from 5.11. They seem to hold up well for me.

I have broken out a pair of all cotton rugby shorts before and they worked great and are super durable. However all you get is 2 pockets and no place for a belt.

I think my first PH was a tad shocked when I wore them. I don’t think that they knew there was rugby in the states.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Old Navy, while marketed at kids, tends to have a lot of khaki and olive green colored 100% cotton clothes. And it's basically disposable.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://sniperafricaonline.co.za/

Sniper in South Africa have some real cotton clothing.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ebay has lots of used safari shirts. I found used vinatge Filson, LL Bean, TAG and Orvis shirts in size Small for my son for around 25 bucks. Even found a nice TAG shirt with a ZIM PH and Guides association embroidery for myself just cuz I liked it.

Posts: 1515 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sniper Africa has a store in the OR Tambo airport. We have been living in Joburg since September and we passed through OR Tambo recently on our way to the Okavango Delta and purchased some items. It is not far from Out of Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3973 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
https://sniperafricaonline.co.za/

Sniper in South Africa have some real cotton clothing.

Morten

One of my PHs in the Eastern Cape wore their camo pants. They seemed to hold up fairly well.

John Richardson
No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
Http://onlygunsandmoney.com

Posts: 79 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Academy Sports has OD Green shirts, pants and shorts. Off season they post great discounts.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote