THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Steve Ahrenberg's article on the CAR

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve Ahrenberg's article on the CAR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
A mate of mine is fast becoming an accomplished author. Steve and I hunted in Australia a bit over two years ago and I'm seeing more and more of his international experiences in print. He has a first class trophy room and international hunts most of us can only dream about. In the latest issue of the African Hunter is the first installment of his experiences in the CAR and Lord Derby's Eland. Good job, Steve, it is really well done. I hope you can send some info my way for the double rifle magazine.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Very peripherally, I have became acquainted with Steve, and have been very fortunate to have been able to read hunting reports that he has not posted on here.

In the overall scheme of things, I am a nobody, I have never been to Africa, and at my age, never will go.

Steve has shared his experiences with me, and I will be forever grateful.

Your doing a great job with your writing Steve.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the article, looking forward to more. This is one of hose hunts that I am unlikely to experience for myself, for a variety of reasons, mostly age and money related. I am glad for the window.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Very peripherally, I have became acquainted with Steve, and have been very fortunate to have been able to read hunting reports that he has not posted on here.

In the overall scheme of things, I am a nobody, I have never been to Africa, and at my age, never will go.

Unfortunate, but you can't blame him for that decision based on how often hunt reports draw shitty remarks.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7614 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

Unfortunate, but you can't blame him for that decision based on how often hunt reports draw shitty remarks.

Hi Jim,
You're 100% correct. I see no purpose in writing out a report to share and getting kicked in the balls for it.

I learned I can share them with friends, privately, then write them in extraordinary detail and have them published for the whole world to read.

No one can openly critique a magazine article in real time, like the hunt reports are.

Thanks Cal for the thread!!

Marty,
This is a three issue piece. The LDE was just the first installment. Adequately articulating a 21 day safari in CAR takes many more words than anyone cares to publish in a single issue.

Thanks for the kind words.

Steve Ahrenberg

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3476 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
An author would be served well to have thick skin

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job Steve tu2

And many thanks for the African Art, its displayed proudly in our home...my wife and 9 yr old daughter love it!!! Thank you for your kind generosity!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Steve and your writing is going from strength to strength. Don't forget that book now.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9915 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just because you've never been to Africa, definitely does not make you a nobody!
One of the greatest men I know I has enough money to buy his own place in Africa if he wanted to, but would rather shoot quail in Georgia that anything Africa has to offer.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

And in no uncertain terms should they subject themselves to the BS that occurs on AR hunting reports. I've got just on 10 hunts in Africa and you'll never see a hunting report of mine on AR either.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

And in no uncertain terms should they subject themselves to the BS that occurs on AR hunting reports. I've got just on 10 hunts in Africa and you'll never see a hunting report of mine on AR either.

Sad, but true for many. Makes you wonder if the Hunt Reports ought to be closed threads. In other words, once the original poster posts the report only he/she can add to the thread. If any one wanted to ask a question or get information, or simply congratulate the poster, they could PM the poster. Not sure what is gained by allowing a bunch of back and forth on a Hunt Report anyway. The real service to forum is simply getting the reports made to share information on areas, techniques, outfitters, etc. Would folks be as reticent to post Hunt Reports if they were done in that way? Maybe not.

Mike

Posts: 21424 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree...In my business I would say 99% of my business come from AR Members who feel the same way!

Though I get to enjoy their adventures through their photos, the forum itself misses out on so many reports from these men and women who have much experiences to otherwise share.

#1 reason... TOO many BSer's on AR and of course we can't blame them.

We all end up losing in the end...sad but true!

This place has deteriorated over the past 4 years alarmingly...yet I still come here daily trying to find peace and happiness. Cool

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:

Sad, but true for many. Makes you wonder if the Hunt Reports ought to be closed threads. In other words, once the original poster posts the report only he/she can add to the thread. If any one wanted to ask a question or get information, or simply congratulate the poster, they could PM the poster. Not sure what is gained by allowing a bunch of back and forth on a Hunt Report anyway. The real service to forum is simply getting the reports made to share information on areas, techniques, outfitters, etc. Would folks be as reticent to post Hunt Reports if they were done in that way? Maybe not.

Good morning Mike,

I think you make some really valid points here.

I post on a cycling forum called MTBR.com. It was really bad about the hostility between members,
for a long time and many people moved on.

The forum instituted a real time "democracy".

Just above your Avatar is a "reputation" area. It is either populated with green "chick-lets" or red ones. If you get a positive rep you get a green one added. If you're a cock, you get a negative rep. anything below zero you begin to accumulate red ones and the entire forum can see what the forum, overall, thinks of the posters behavior.

It changed the dynamic and the forum's posting velocity really increased.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3476 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It changed the dynamic and the forum's posting velocity really increased.

As does intelligent and well done moderation. This place is the wild wild west and there ain't no sheriff in town. So folks have to take the law into their own hands.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Makes you wonder if the Hunt Reports ought to be closed threads. In other words, once the original poster posts the report only he/she can add to the thread. If any one wanted to ask a question or get information, or simply congratulate the poster, they could PM the poster.

I think this is a great plan. I posted up a couple African hunt reports years ago before things got really antagonistic. Recently, I've only posted one report because usually it's just not worth the likelihood that someone will piss all over your post.

Posts: 3298 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
Makes you wonder if the Hunt Reports ought to be closed threads. In other words, once the original poster posts the report only he/she can add to the thread. If any one wanted to ask a question or get information, or simply congratulate the poster, they could PM the poster.

I think this is a great plan. I posted up a couple African hunt reports years ago before things got really antagonistic. Recently, I've only posted one report because usually it's just not worth the likelihood that someone will piss all over your post.

I agree. That said, do not hold your breathe waiting for that change to happen. I believe there are some, perhaps even our host, that actually enjoy and encourage the conflict and controversy. Sort of like the line from Out of Africa, "God is happy, msabu. He plays with us."

Mike

Posts: 21424 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus one on that concept.

Also, I think negative reports/complaints about PH's/Guides/Outfitters/Taxidermists etc. should be a Closed discussion where only the person making the complaint/accusations and the professional in question could respond. However I am sure that would be harder to set up than the above quoted concept.

Also, I think there is a good bit of truth concerning a perverse pleasure some members of this site gain in seeing folks tear into each other.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:

I agree. That said, do not hold your breathe waiting for that change to happen. I believe there are some, perhaps even our host, that actually enjoy and encourage the conflict and controversy. Sort of like the line from Out of Africa, "God is happy, msabu. He plays with us."

I am 100 percent certain of this.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"