Find
Notify
Tools

What scope for a 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
I have a 375 H&H Model 70 that I'm getting ready to scope. Im going to be taking it along on a plains game hunt in Zimbabwe next May [Big Grin] , but probably won't be using it except for Eland. I will be using my 300 WSM with a 2.5-10X42 Swarovski for most everything else.

I plan to use Talley QD rings on it. Here is my line of thought so far....Since I'm not going to be using it in the near future on dangerous game, I won't need a 1.5-5, etc. If/when I get the chance to go again, I will use it for Buffalo, but they aren't on the menu this trip. By the time I go again, and hunt buff, I will have a spare Leupold or Burris low power scope in Talley Rings and will make that my DG scope.

I'm leaning toward a fixed 4X Kahles. Any thoughts on this? Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fixed, steel Kahles ( 4x32 is a sound choice! )and a 1.5-6x42 ( European style ). You need a back up scope anyway. Great field of view, and gives you all the range you might resonably shoot. This excludes "sniping" which seems to be en vogue in some areas. I don�t think your PH will let you shoot past 300 m.

H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not try a leupold 2-7 Vari X11 or VX 1. There an excellent scope (They work well on my mates and my .416 cz's) they have good eye relief good field of view and there very tolerant of recoil. The VX 111's subject you to the law of diminsihing returns.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking the same thing recently and it is a difficult choice.

If you are hunting in Zimbabwe bushveld do not get a fixed power scope that is higher magnification than 4x. It could be that you come upon that Eland at a distance measured in feet rather than yards, and with a higher power scope you may as well use your rifle like a shotgun. This happened to me on a Kudu hunt – the Kudu was out of focus on my fixed 6x42, which I have now sold. Bagged the Kudu however.

I have just purchased a 1.25-4x24 Swarovski for my plains game 8x57. I’ll move this scope to my (to be acquired) 375H&H when I go for Buffalo – when I will take my 6.5x55 with a 3-9x36 Swarovski for the light stuff.

Take a look at the 1.25-4x24. It is a very nice scope.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The Swarovski 1,25-4X would get my vote too. I've one on top of my O/U in 9,3x74R and shoot running game from <10m to 100 m with - I never bother to take off the scope. An excellent reticle choice for fast work is their "battue"[= drive hunt] model.
 -

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I love my Leupold 1.75X6. One my most recent trip to RSA, my outfitter had the same scope on his .375 H&H. My P.H. was almost begging me to sell mine to him for his 416 Rigby. I gave it to him as a tip, and have already purchased a new one for myself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too thought of a fixed 4 power but as my 9.3 gets used in dark woodland too I went 1.5-6x42 which I find perfect. IMHO it is more versatile than the 1.1-4x24 as it only gives up .4 at the bottom, gains 2 at the top and gathers light better to boot.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
All these choices sound good [Smile] - but aren't the Swarovski's the PH Model? Im not sure I want to spend that much on a scope that won't be used that much. I'm thinking more of along $500 for a scope and $500 for a backup.

Does anyone know the eye relief on a 4x Kahles?

If I go with the Leupold, should i get the heavy duplex or the regular one? Thanks - Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

My opinion is the manufacturers are putting their development money into variable power scopes. I used to advocate fixed power rifle scopes, but now I buy low-power variables.

It is difficult to ignore the cost-benefit ratio of Leupold scopes, and the VXIII scopes have good internals and advanced lenses and coatings.

There is so much recent progress in optics that if you are using products over 8 or 10 years old, I would sell them and buy the latest "stuff".

I have used the following scopes in Africa on .375s: Leupold VXIII 1.5-5X20 with Duplex reticle; Swarovski 1.5-5X20 with Duplex reticle; Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9X40 with illuminated triangle reticle; and Kahles 1.5-6X40with the #7 heavy plex. They all worked well.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Ngrumba:
All these choices sound good [Smile] - but aren't the Swarovski's the PH Model? Im not sure I want to spend that much on a scope that won't be used that much. I'm thinking more of along $500 for a scope and $500 for a backup.

Does anyone know the eye relief on a 4x Kahles?

If I go with the Leupold, should i get the heavy duplex or the regular one? Thanks - Jeff

The regular duplex is just fine, and I've never heard anyone complain about the Leupolds [Smile]

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend the Leupold VARIXIII 1.75X6 (E) with a heavy duplex. I used it myself on the same animal you are planning to use it on. I own all the other high dollar german/austrian stuff and they are indeed a marvel of clarity and maybe they do have a slight, very slight edge on the leupold when it comes to light transmission. Having said that, the Leupold has considerably more eye relief and is will take heavy recoil better. D'Arcy Echols, one of our premier rifle makers, Strongly recommend Leupolds on his heavy rifles becasue according to him, they hold up better than any of the others. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote