THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    EDITORIAL: Government should stick to its guns over increased hunting fees

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDITORIAL: Government should stick to its guns over increased hunting fees
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
EDITORIAL: Government should stick to its guns over increased hunting fees

THE government’s rejection of a proposal to reverse its recent decision to hike various hunting block and trophy fees has sent shockwaves among influential holders of hunting block licences and concessions in the country.

This was after the minister responsible for natural resources, Prof. Jumanne Maghembe, confirmed to THISDAY towards the end of last week that the government would not bow to pressure from the country’s powerful hunting lobby to rethink its move to increase the fees.

Unsurprisingly, this was not good news to members of this lobby, for obvious reasons. These are the people who have been arguing that the fees increase would make Tanzania a less attractive destination for tourist hunters in the region. But we are in full support of the government’s decision because we believe it is high time such tough measures were taken to boost the hunting industry’s overall contribution to the country’s national economic output or gross domestic product (GDP).

Moreover, given the minister’s statement that despite the fees increase Tanzania still has some of the lowest rates of hunting fees in the East and Central African sub-region, we do not see any reason why hunting firms should react so irritably to the government’s decision.

But as the minister put it: ’’Resisting change is a common trait for many human beings.’’ However, as he also rightly pointed out, people in the hunting industry must be made to understand that no amount of argument can or will convince the government to back down on this matter.

Our sources say the hunting firms have been trying to call in favours from their connections in government circles, while also waging a parallel media campaign in an all-out effort to sway public officials. And all this against the background of widespread reports that the local tourist hunting industry has long been one of the areas considered particularly prone to serious corruption.

The government therefore should not continue to entertain hunting firms because it has already been too lenient ? a leniency which has apparently made some of those in the industry big-headed.

With over 130 hunting concessions covering more than 200,000 square kilometres that are leased to hunting outfitters licensed to conduct tourist hunting, Tanzania as a nation should certainly be earning more. But according to available statistics, the ministry’s wildlife division currently earns an average annual income of only $10m (approx. 12.5bn/-) from its concessions.

We are also pleased to hear that President Jakaya Kikwete is amongst those keen to see the hunting industry make a more realistic contribution to national economic growth.

It is with this mind that we must express our surprise that an online publication named ’The Hunting Report’ has taken it upon itself to irrationally attack this newspaper for publishing the story on the government’s decision to hike the fees, with the editor and publisher of this online publication even seeking to console his subscribers with the presumptuous statement that ’’I do not take this report (by THISDAY) as the final word on hunting fees. In fact, I believe a responsible outcome is still the most likely result.’’

Let this editor and his colleagues understand that we are a patriotic media outlet looking to protect the interests of the people of this country, and not to please a small group of people whose only desire seems to be making as big a profit as they can out of this country’s resources while giving back as little as possible for the benefit of the majority of Tanzanians still living below the poverty line.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Moreover, given the minister’s statement that despite the fees increase Tanzania still has some of the lowest rates of hunting fees in the East and Central African sub-region, we do not see any reason why hunting firms should react so irritably to the government’s decision.

It is hard to take issue with Tanzania's desire to maximize its income from its hunting resources. However, ex post facto fee increases are poor business and the ministry needs to recognize this. Also, from the quote above, Tanzania apparently doesn't realize that it is among, if not THE, most expensive African country in terms of hunting fees. The ministry may or may not be misestimating (that's misunderestimating for you W. Bush fans) how much the traffic will bear, but in good faith, it should honor the fee schedule that was in effect when a given hunter made the commitment to come.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can give you a real world situation on what this is doing. Not speculation.

I sent a friend of mine an e mail inquiring if he was back and how he did. I got a response last night. He had sent me an e mail from Dar.

He wanted a lion. He didn't shoot because of the uncertainty of the situation. He said the lions he saw were marginal shooters but he passed because of the uncertainty.

That is one trophy fee not going to the economy of Tanzania.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, its a done deal, and in reality has been since the first post on this blog..

Like it or not we have to live with it, I did my part and have the letters to the hauncho in my file, but I knew all was in vain, even though I was informed my statements would be taken into consideration. I also know it was a mistake for those that used political clout to get this changed, it only served to inflame the situation those in power IMO..One thing I know about the black African, you can catch more flies with honey, than with s--t! Smiler

Some of you will not go back, others will threaten not to go back but they will, others would have never gone anyway but most will continue to hunt if they can afford it and everything is de ja vue, this ain't my first rodeo in Africa, and it ain't the first or last fungu in Africa..It is just a matter of time until the rest of the countries follow suit.

Buffalo, plainsgame hunts are still dooable and on par with the rest of Africa, and Tanzania has the best buffalo, and we have been booking at the new price and see very little effect on this as far as buffalo/Pg go.., but I expect the 21 day Lion and elephant hunts will slow down for awhile, especially on AR and other forums, that is normally about 5% of our clientele, and we hate to see that happen, but like all of you, we don't have much choice in the matter with the increase in concession fees, trophy fees and hunting Tanzania in general.

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your lives, don't waste it and don't fret over those things of which you have no control. Africa is Africa and it won't change.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trade off in hunting Tanz was it had high daily rates but low trophy fees. I fear that the government's decision has put them in the position of high daily rates and high trophy fees.

It will cost them.

I am planning a trip and looking at these issues. I may not be going to Tanz because of this. It is truly unfortunate because it is a wonderful destination and has beautiful areas to hunt. The sad part is, that when last there, we spent five days touring in a non-hunting environment and they will loose that revenue also.

The fastest way to get the fees reduced is to watch the revenues fall because significant numbers of us decide not to go and not to pay the fees. Kudude

PS: The greatest danger to their hunting resource is the government's decision to let the Masai run their sorry cattle to the detriment of wild life thru out the country. If they want to do something positive pass a law "devaluing" cows,ie, one cow now equals 10 cows. Kd

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
It all boils down to who gets the most pie. Greed always plays a role anytime money changes hands. Those that have pie, want more pie. As the American Indian once said of white's spreading across America in huge land grabs: "When is enough land enough?" There will always be the haves and have-nots. The haves will hunt where and when they want. The have-nots will wish and dream, but they will always find a hunt. But those with the goods will always want more pie. I suspect Zimbabwe will get a fair percentage of Tanzania's hunting business next year. It will be interesting to see what happens with other hunter friendly nations. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i think when the SCI conv rolls around in Jan., you will see a lot more people at the Moz, Nam and Zim booths- not just booking lion/ leopard/elle hunts but buff/pllains game hunts as well. why would someone pay $15-20k all up(especially those outrageous air charters) for Tz when they can hunt the same buff in a true wilderness setting in Moz for $10-12k?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

There is no final decision on the the fee increases as TAHOA has not yet met with the Minister and there still is the Tanzanian court if all else fails.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
As we who have booked for this year wonder:

"Tic-toc, tic-toc" goes the clock,
When is TAHOC gonna s--t or get off the pot?

Don Causey has indicated that it is "next week" for about two months. What's his estimate now...? Why the delay? Anyone know?

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Judge G.: I once worked on a very significant lawsuit with a nationally acclaimed eminent domain lawyer who wrote legal briefs and motions like that. He was brief, colorful, very much to the point and won quite often. I suggest that you send that VERY SAME MESSAGE to TAHOC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good grief guys!! As Mark says nothing is all in. I have nothing personal against Ray, but why in the world fan the flames when you don't know any more than anyone else. I know what I am going to pay and Ray knows what his clients are going to pay. No one turned on a light and gave Ray any answers. The only sane comments I have seen regarding hunting this year in Tanzania belong to Bwanamich. My friends and I are going to go hunting in October unless something much worse than what is happening now takes place. Judge you're booked, go and have a great time. Shoot what you can and "don't let these bastards grind you down". Come back and tell the rest of us about the great hunt you had this year in Tanzania.

joec

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Atkinson said, in good Democratic fashion, the war is lost. "We just have to live with it". Well, I for one can live without it (the TZ increase). If and when I return, I'll go to Namibia. I don't blame anyone who's already booked. I don't blame anyone who can afford the new fees. But the thing I really don't get is the "when rape is inevitable, enjoy it" attitude. I guess I've been watching too many John Wayne movies or sumthin'. salute

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, for one, have no intention of paying exorbitant fees to go to tanzania. i would rather take 2 safaris in Zim. its a question of supply and demand. If the demand lesens, prices will fall.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with my PH/owner. He is in Arusha for 3 days before the next hunt. I questioned him again on this matter.

He told me that there is a petition on the desk of the President on this matter. The indications are that the President will act favorably on this. However, at this moment, it is NOT signed.

They are charging the old rates.

I am trying to be optimistic. We leave one week from today.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote