Find
Notify
Tools

Saeed------->Nicks Articles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saeed,

Nick has been posting some of his finest work here in years with all the old stuff for the past few weeks. I have been enjoying them all. Some of if not most of it is great to re-read from time to time. It would be a shame if it were all lost in the 8199 topics in this forum. Which brings me to my suggestion.

Saeed, is there anyway we could put together a forum of his work and lock the threads so it would become a online libabry in a sense. There is a great amount of stuff there and it would be a shame to see it disolve into cyberspace with the rest of our threads. I know there all saved but its difficult to remember which ones you want to re-read or re-find. And since they all have a common theme it would make sense to put them in one spot.

I feel it would enrich our site having that type of content readily avaliable. Especially for new people comming here. Just like the Photos of our hunts or reloading pages. We could call them "Nicks Libary Pages". [Big Grin]

Thanks,

eric

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
Outstanding idea!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Anything posted on the Forums cannot be made permanent, because the software is not designed for that.

I will be very happy to put whatever the members wish under a seperate heading. I am not sure how would that work with copy right though.

I am open to any suggestions, and will be happy to do whatever the members wish to have.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Couldnt we just creat a new forum that is read only(no posting)mode and move all of his threads to there. And password protect it so
Nick could add things as he comes up with them. The password would lock out people from starting threads in that forum. It would only be nicks threads with no posts. Just a libary.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Eric,

We can create a new Forum, which only Nick can post to.

But, I think we need to hear what he has to say to this idea.

Also, we are running into problems with our software, and are in the process of getting it upgraded.

Apparently, UBB Classic - which we are running right now - has reached its limits, and cannot cope with all the amount of traffic we are getting.

We are talking to Infopop, and trying to see what software will be more inline with our growing forums.

I will keep you all up to date with any progress we have .

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To All ... my view is that the display of old articles for the enjoyment of our readers, without intent to profit, amounts only to free advertising in the most fertile soil imaginable, for the surviving publication. As with earlier postings of photos and archival materials, I do try to obtain appropriate blessings, when a direct path is clear. Whether or not my views hold water, is up for debate. In Internet related incidents involving copyright issues, I've seen conflict resolution via the prompt removal of the offending item (s).

More of an issue than posting , is that of hosting , as photos and scans can suck up a lot of resources. The question is whether or not "AR" can accomodate this ever accumulating weight or a separate hosting site is necessary, which is what I've been using, of late. This, however, must be paid for.

Alternatively, we might simply maintain a listing of sorts, within a dedicated Forum, where the reader can select items of interest and request them via email. This may require both a waiting period for the requester and multiple emails per item, depending on filesize and the server capabilities at the receiving end. In recent weeks, for example, I've responded to many email requests for specific articles, 10% of which were failed transmissions.

I stand ready to respond to any scenario that enhances this, best of all, hunting related websites. Eric, I thank you for your proposal. A very nice thought.

[ 11-23-2003, 00:26: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

Do you have any idea of how much space you require?

We have a dedicated server, and I think we have plenty of storage.

Whatever we decide, I suggest we hold o for a few weeks, as mentioned earlier, we seem to have reached the limit of this software, and are in teh process of upgrading.

Once that is done, we can set up a Forum specifically for you - it will be READ ONLY, with only you have accessto it.

posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Waiting suits me fine, as I have not and will not have time to resume scanning, until after our Holiday Season.

Upon reevaluation of site resources, after the upgrade, if you still feel it can be done without any blown-primers, that would be super.

As always, we convey our appreciation for the Accurate-Reloading website.

posted Hide Post
Saeed,
119 Articles were posted, totaling 213.09MB. I might reduce this to 180MB, with the removal of those articles that fared poorly, both on the website and in regard to zipfile requests. Considering what I already have stored in photos and figuring on a 75% suitability rate on the other boxes of articles to be scanned, I figure 500MB, which would require the occasional culling of low demand stuff, to maintain things at that level.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nick and Saeed. [Smile]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thank God [Roll Eyes] That will save me downloading the bloody things. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Bakes

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Kalle Stolt>
posted
Great idea! [Smile]

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

500MB is no problem at all.

Can you copy all these files onto a CD and mail them to me please?

I am asking this because it will take an awful long time to upload them to the site.

I only need the pictures, which I can put on our server, then you can link to them with yout text.

[ 11-23-2003, 16:01: Message edited by: Saeed ]

posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I'm afraid that will not do, as it would require far too much effort to extract the myriad of pics and then reconstruct the pages, assuming I had the software to do so.(?) It must be remembered that, with a scan, the pictures and text are "one", a single pic or file, the segmenting of which is difficult, at best.

Is there a way in which I can do the uploading of the scanned pages? If not, I suggest we just take the first step and establish a place for them, where members can find all of them without difficulty OR I'll simply maintain a listing of articles available by email request.

[ 11-23-2003, 18:40: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

I just looked at your post of Pondoro, and can see that you have scanned the articles as photos. Am I correct?

If this is the case, we should have no problems. If you just copy all of the articles - pictures - you wish to have included on our site, I will copy them onto our server, and you can link to them as you have done where they are now.

I think whatever we do, if we are going to put these articles on our server, they have to be transferred to it. And the quickest way is to just copy the files, rather than upload.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Saeed and Nick, thanks for working on this!

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Yes, as photos. As it happens, an AR member has posted to me, a small number of CD's, which are due to arrive, later this week. On these CD', are the first 101 articles. As soon as they arrive, I shall post a copy to you. This AR member, plans to continue this project with all subsequent articles, so I will repeat this mailing, as they arrive. As an aside, earlier this week, I was granted permission to scan and post pre-approved articles, from one of the leading African publications. On behalf of the members, I offer sincere thanks for your unbounded generousity.

[ 11-23-2003, 19:57: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who cares? [Wink] We just want to read them. Seriously I doubt there would be much trouble because they are so old. Also this is a free site no different than looking at a magazine in a barbarshop. Saeed isnt charging anything so they dont have much of an argument. I think the copyrite police have better things to do. [Wink]

If this were a commercial pay site that charged to view the contents then you may have a point.

[ 11-23-2003, 21:54: Message edited by: LV Eric ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for following up on my idea. It is such a tremendous collection of important historical articles. Having them all in one place at one time is incredable. I have seen some of them over the years, some of which I had forgotten about. It will serve the hunting community well having this historical resource at their finger tips. Thanks again to all involved.