New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Test
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yesterday was the first of the year's two shooting proficiency tests for aspirant professional hunters and guides. This test must be passed before the candidates can move on to their interviews and final exams.

There are four separate courses of fire, and the IPSC "Practical" score-divided by time format insures that an element of pressure is introduced. .375 H&H is the minimum caliber allowed, and is scored as "minor" with anything in the 4s (that makes the muzzle energy requirement of 5.3kJ) counting as "major".

There were 16 candidates, out of whom 6 passed - 5 learner PHs and 1 learner guide. Like the rest of Zimbabwe's test criteria it's not designed to be easy!

Those who came close can try again at the end of the year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That course would be a sight to see! Is there video of this anywhere on the internet?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know how the 4 courses are laid out how many target and distances. Do they include what we called called, in or military training, a bushlane, where you have animal target instead of human targets.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The standards for becoming a PH and the qualification process for PHs in Zimbabwe are the best in Africa. Regardless of what all else may be happening in Zimbabwe, the PH community, by and large, continues to be credit to the profession and deserves to hold their heads high.

tu2

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemtRN5287:
That course would be a sight to see! Is there video of this anywhere on the internet?

Assuming no changes, this is the course of fire, posted right here on AR.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...22101325/m/347100925

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
The standards for becoming a PH and the qualification process for PHs in Zimbabwe are the best in Africa. Regardless of what all else may be happening in Zimbabwe, the PH community, by and large, continues to be credit to the profession and deserves to hold their heads high. tu2

Agree 100%.

The shooting test is difficult in another respect. We can shoot as much as we like, ammunition or at least reloading is relatively cheap and plentiful. An appy makes no money and has limited supplies to practice. Makes it that much more difficult.

One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
Barry what was the highest score , out of those passed how many where repeats , this shooting test is not easy and take alot of practice its expensive for the kids who don't have fund or axcess to ammo ,couple years ago they had 32 candidates thanks for posting

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
The standards for becoming a PH and the qualification process for PHs in Zimbabwe are the best in Africa. Regardless of what all else may be happening in Zimbabwe, the PH community, by and large, continues to be credit to the profession and deserves to hold their heads high.

tu2

Amen!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bambazonke:
Barry what was the highest score , out of those passed how many where repeats , this shooting test is not easy and take alot of practice its expensive for the kids who don't have fund or axcess to ammo ,couple years ago they had 32 candidates thanks for posting

I've read a bit about the proficiency tests and hear the oft repeated problem of lack of money for enough ammo to practice. How hard is it to acquire a set of dies, a cast bullet mold and a bit of shotgun powder, pull some from cartridges if need be.

While not providing the same level of recoil it will certainly provide plentiful cheap ammo to run through courses and practice the handling and loading of a firearm. Expensive cases will last forever using cast bullets even if requiring occasional neck annealing which is not rocket science.

If it means the difference between getting your licence and earning your living rather than sitting out for a year before a retest!!!!!

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Hunter ran a story with photos some years ago, I will look through my back issues. I'll also ask a couple of guys on the range if they have footage.
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the one Mike. The targets can vary from year to year, but it's a center-of-mass scenario, with no visibly defined aiming marks.
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:

Assuming no changes, this is the course of fire, posted right here on AR.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...22101325/m/347100925

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using the IPSC scoring system, the top score (when the point scores have been divided by the time it took to shoot the stage) automatically becomes 100%, and everyone else's score is a percentage of that. So there is no "highest possible score" as there is in, say, Olympic shooting.This adds another dimension, because the highest scores will vary with each test day, and also with the caliber (no pun intended) of the better shooters. So if you're a weaker shooter, it is very bad luck to do the test on the day when a "range god" is shooting it. And, as has been noted, many of the apprentices can't afford the amount of practice they should get. A number of training courses are now being offered, and there was a week-long course at Rifa on the Zambezi before last weekend's shooting test. Chris Pakenham, a former National Parks warden who was at both said it did make a difference.
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, these are supposed to be individual replies, I'm pushing the wrong button somewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be the percentage will drop when you get a good guy in, but the hit factor will stay the same, i.e. points per second.

What is a passing score for this test?

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does the Zim qualifications stack up against the ones the Namibian guys have to get for their big game licence?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the faster the shooter completes the course of fire, assuming his point score is good - say HPS for instance, the faster those points - points per second - will be scored. In order to make it more "understandable" for National Parks, Don Heath and Charlie Haley sat down and determined fixed point values to be added to each stage, which kind of bridges Comstock scoring with "conventional" scoring. So an aggregate score of 120 points for all stages is required for a pass.
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
It may be the percentage will drop when you get a good guy in, but the hit factor will stay the same, i.e. points per second.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure - I don't know the Namibian course of fire, but would like to.
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
How does the Zim qualifications stack up against the ones the Namibian guys have to get for their big game licence?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are different criteria for hunters and guides, and the test is even slightly different for canoe guides who only shoot with a handgun. Hunters require 115 points overall to pass, and guides 80.
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
Well, the faster the shooter completes the course of fire, assuming his point score is good - say HPS for instance, the faster those points - points per second - will be scored. In order to make it more "understandable" for National Parks, Don Heath and Charlie Haley sat down and determined fixed point values to be added to each stage, which kind of bridges Comstock scoring with "conventional" scoring. So an aggregate score of 120 points for all stages is required for a pass.
quote:

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, thanks for posting that.
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:
There are different criteria for hunters and guides, and the test is even slightly different for canoe guides who only shoot with a handgun. Hunters require 115 points overall to pass, and guides 80.
quote:
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Barry - I actually meant the whole course mate, not just the shooting proficiency.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Kevin Robertson will chime in. He has been involved in Zim instruction and/or testing.
He shoots clays IN THE AIR with his Dumoulin 505.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wonder what use a handgun is in the field?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Perhaps Kevin Robertson will chime in. He has been involved in Zim instruction and/or testing.
He shoots clays IN THE AIR with his Dumoulin 505.

Quite a change from his story of when he first shot it, when he knocked himself out and set fire to the area. Wink

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

I carry one at times when the situation calls for it. Like if I am going fishing in a small boat - protection against overly friendly crocodiles!! Many of our fishing guides here in the NT get a licence to have one for this purpose. While hunting game I sometimes carry it when going after smaller animals - not as much need to lug the big gun around everywhere and easier to get in and out of the truck in a hurry, with the handgun. Some protection for oneself - if we bump an upset larger animal.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the written components, I'll ask around.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Barry - I actually meant the whole course mate, not just the shooting proficiency.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was once told by a Zimbabwe PH that Andrew Dawson (Chifuti Safaris) holds the record for the highest score on this test with Mike Payne (Save Safaris) coming in second. I was also told both shot the course using .470NE double rifles - a nice tidbit to know when you are choosing your PH for a dangerous game hunt

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A handgun is used primarily as a backup and Don Heath was a great proponent of carrying one; he could also use one to great effect. The other application is for canoe guides, some of whom do not carry rifles. Don was always a big fan of the .41 Magnum, which is probably about entry level.
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The double is no disadvantage at all in capable hands, and can be a decided advantage in the speed shoot. As said, the scores vary from year to year, and there was also a regular shooting test that the Zimbabwe Hunters' Association (the group that represented local, mostly non-professional hunters) held for its members, and oftentimes PHs would come and shoot that as well, so it depends on which test.
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

I was once told by a Zimbabwe PH that Andrew Dawson (Chifuti Safaris) holds the record for the highest score on this test with Mike Payne (Save Safaris) coming in second. I was also told both shot the course using .470NE double rifles - a nice tidbit to know when you are choosing your PH for a dangerous game hunt