Find
Notify
Tools

ZIM PH Shooting Tests
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Set ups for the ZIM PH Shooting Test. If you want the full size version, just email me.

I looked it up and I believe the "Bianchi Target" (also known as the NRA D-1 target) is this one:

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Finally the details! Please e-mail the stuff.

Thanks.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Please email me so I will know your current email address (I have three different email addresses for you).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Terry,

Finally the details! Please e-mail the stuff.

Thanks.

DITTO.
Thanks Terry

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I continue to be amazed at the thorough testing and licensing procedures in Zim. It's amazing given everything else that's going on with the government there. One certainly feels safer having a PH whose been so completely tested.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana, what is the pass rate on the shooting test?

Which of these scenarios results in the most flops?
Gabe

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Email sent. Thanks in advance Terry. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
This would be a fun challenge at one of the AR-type get-togethers (DRSS, STC, etc). It might make a good postal match too, although it would be pretty easy to cheat!

Terry, do you know what is meant in the "Puff and Pant" by "10m from the limit line"? The distances seem pretty clear in the others, but I am not sure what the limit line is. It appears you shoot from the "charge line"...perhaps they are synonymous.

Also, could you please e-mail the originals to staggerino[at]hotmail.com. THANKS!

ps: you'd be very proud of me...my travel folder is complete, all items on your checklist checked off and NO hunting vest. Wink

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Terry, do you know what is meant in the "Puff and Pant" by "10m from the limit line"?

No idea, sorry.

I'm glad to hear that you are well prepared for your safari. Honestly, I had my doubts about you. Wink

Regards,

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
In shoot 1, its not clear as too how many shots you might use becuase the time factor is not given.
If the time is set by the last shot, then the time is shooter controlled as the best target score is divided by the lapsed time. Must be a big decision on how many times you want to reload and your accuracy. Also, it must be an advantage to use a medium caliber instead of a big bore rifle.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I think the Puff and Pant is where you are running up to the targets, or allowed to approach them to within some distance.

Someone should pay my way over there to observe and take video. I assume the penalty is in seconds. The "rules" still leave something to be desired as to understanding the details.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Any specifications on the weapon, caliber, loads, sights, etc. that must be used for the test?

Chris

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly, I had my doubts about you.

Confused All because of a question about a safari vest? Razzer

The reality is that I could give you a run for "most anal planner". Smiler My day job is operational and strategic planning....and I have a natural hatred of uncrossed t's and undotted i's. I just don't have sufficient time left over to demonstrate that here!

Cheers bud,
Chris

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisLong:
Terry,

Any specifications on the weapon, caliber, loads, sights, etc. that must be used for the test?

Chris

No, sorry, but once they awake in Zim, maybe we can get some more detail.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This test is completely different than the past tests. have they changed the test procedures? We need much more info to be able to duplicate this test.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reality is that I could give you a run for "most anal planner".

My wife will take that bet, sight unseen. She's giving 10 to 1 odds. Smiler

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will do my best to answer..

Cannuck ...Limmit line = Charge line. Candidate is running down an angled alley (Shoot 4) or starting 40m back (shoot 1). Shoot 1 he can open fire from the start possition but must fire at least one round from the charge line. eg, if you have a double. Fire two rounds when the buzzer goes and reload while you run forward to the charge line and finish there

For shoot 4 He can only see one target at a time. The limmit line stops him going closer to the target than 10m ( the quickest way to do this if you are a lousy shot is to run in really close).If you can shoot on the move, it pays you to be about 15-20 back from the targets - less movement is required and a man walking briskly can cover the 10-12m from where he can first see the first and last targets in about three seconds. Enough time to load and shoot if you can, and don't stop to fire each shot. time to beat on the puff and pant is full house in 11 seconds.

boghossian- about 80% of candidates who turn up fail the first time. Most then go and do some practice!

Dakota - for shoot 1 you must fire a minimum of one round per target. (you can fire more but- time penalty!)

Will et all. Shoots 1, 2 & 4 are target score divided by time. eg. on shoot 2 ( which is the one that fails most people) say you get a full house score (30) in 20 seconds = factor of 1.5

factor x 45 =67.5 points

On shoot 1 say full (20) house in 20 seconds = factor of 1 x 35 = 35 points

shoot 4 full house (15) in 15 seconds = factor of 1 x 26 = 26 points

and if you miss the 6" bull on the "buffalo target at 75m = 0

gives you a total of 126 so you would pass.

Minimum caliber is 9,3x62. no poof loads. "minor calibers (9,3, .375, .378 .404 old load) scores 5,3&1 on the target. "major calibres ( =.404 new load) score 5,4 &2

Best scorte to date = 212

My personal best 189

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
or starting 40m back (shoot 1). Shoot 1 he can open fire from the start possition but must fire at least one round from the charge line. eg, if you have a double. Fire two rounds when the buzzer goes and reload while you run forward to the charge line and finish there

Thanks Ganyana. I think I got it.

On shoot 1, you start 40m back from the charge line and the targets are 10, 15, 20 and 25m from the charge line respectively. You have to shoot once from the charge line minimum, but can shoot the other 3 from anywhere in between the start point and the charge line.

Cool.

The others are a little clearer in the instructions.

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. This thread needs to be pinned at the top of your forum or another appropriate forum, Terry.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the minimum passing score?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
this sounds like a Accurate Reloading competiton that would be interresting in honing our skills.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic with the dimensions of the Bianchi target, in case anyone is interested...

Pretty hard to read though. You can get the PDF of it here

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Basically, it is just an IPSC Rifle Match but with big game rifles! I like it!

Terry, I sent you an email asking for a full sized copy, but I don't know if I gave you my return address. Please forward to (robertpretty@cybersafaris.com.au).

Thanks

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Passmark is 115.

Next PH shooting exam 10 September. See you all in Harare Big Grin

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote