Find
Notify
Tools

Here's to the PH's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. You PH's (Pros) make it look easy. Now, since I've got the DVD and I've watched it a couple of times lately (Boddington on Elephant) it goes that without saying; that it doesn't matter how well the client can shoot, when the shit is on the line, it's the PH that has to ultimately face the charging fill in the blank. It's your abilities that save our asses. The client's caliber of choice, be it 375 H&H or 600 Nitro Express is irrelevant. No client can match the experience of any PH worth his salt. No matter how many animals Craig Boddington will shoot in his life, Ivan Carter will either guide or save the day on ten times as many. No slight on Craig, just the way I see it. I've seen clients fire at charging animals with either no effect or after the animals has already had a solid in his brain for a half a second. I've seen a PH I know shoot a Bull Elephant at two paces while the client is waiting for the PH to give the go-ahead. Again, no slight on the client, but the PH gave the Ele every chance to vacate before protecting the client and camera-man. And who the hell films this action without being armed? MADMEN I say. So here's to you, the PH with your life on the line, with no back-up to speak of, but I promise to keep shooting until I'm out of ammo. I raise my Scotch to you tonight.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I tip my hat off to the true PHs, some of whom you have mentioned above.
They are a credit to their profession, and to us as hunters.

Some, however, are nothing of the sort, and applying the name "PH" to them is no different than aapplying the description "honest" to a politician!

As far removed from the truth as one can get.

A perfect example of the latter ones are those who charge clients for a safari, enduce a charge, and shoot the animal, glorifying themselves in the process.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A perfect example of the latter ones are those who charge clients for a safari, enduce a charge, and shoot the animal, glorifying themselves in the process.

Or the one who doesn't allow you to take a second shot on a wounded animal because it would cause more meat to be bloodshot and ruin it at the market, then charge you the trophy fee when the animal gets away. BTDT. Rarieties, I believe.

I have nothing but remarkable respect for the real ones. beer

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PH allowed me to shoot a buff at something between 30-35 yards and I did the "insurance shot" as well. (We had worked out hand signals beforehand about buff) I think it depends on the assessment that a PH makes of the client. (Yeah, I'm patting myself on the back and proud that he trusted me enough) I truly do pity guys who drew such PHs as described above. I was lucky to get a real professional hunter. (We insulted each other every day, he being an Englishman {Rhodesian born} and I an Irishman. I saw his tracking abilities -and they were better than the Zulu trackers on one occasion (after a wounded zebra)and his knowledge of fauna and flora was very educational. In short, he was a good guy to know if you are in the middle of the African bush! Smiler I hope all others get as good a PH.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I fell in love with all my PH's. They were above being human. They are like God, or something.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19310 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I fell in love with all my PH's. They were above being human. They are like God, or something.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Let's put it this way, you the client are a tourist and he's the pro. That's all I'm saying, people get all hung up on their DG rifle of choice and how well they can shoot it. Doesn't matter, because the buck doesn't stop with you, it stops with the PH. I keep spending time thinking about my next Africa rifle, bigger, better, fit's inbetween the other two, yada yada.

Here's an analogy, let's say I'm friends with Troy Aikman, and last Saturday he's at my son's 4th grade football game. We like to toss the ball around while the kids are warming up. Daryl Johnston shows up and I toss him a TD on the middle school field. Does that make me a pro football Hall of Fame could have done it, been it or lived it kind of guy?

I'm not swooning over any particular PH that I've had, haven't had, met or read about. I'm not a PH groupie. I'm just saying give credit where credit is due.

Not to the unscrupulous PH or the arm-chair PH nor to the buddy of the PH or the guy that's researched the subject and practiced the most.

If you don't think that giving credit or raising my scotch while surfing AR is worthwhile, then go do it. Get your PH license, concession, camp, vehicles, etc. Acquire you clients, slay your beasts and then come back and post something.

If you've done it and still think it's nonsense, well I can't help you.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the praise for the ph's out there. I trust and enjoy the ph I hunt with in Zim, Gordon Duncan, even though sometimes I get an attack of "see here, young man". I usually get over it pretty quickly when I remember I hired him, not the other way around.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I love this theory that if an animal is wounded and needs following up or there is a charge that the PH will sort it out.
Most PHs Ive met will Tell you straight, if you F$^%ked it up then you can help sort it out.
I actually don't mind this straight line of thinking.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
I love this theory that if an animal is wounded and needs following up or there is a charge that the PH will sort it out.
Most PHs Ive met will Tell you straight, if you F$^%ked it up then you can help sort it out.
I actually don't mind this straight line of thinking.

I think most decent hunters would be more than happy to join in.

However, some might not be in the best of condition to do so, and the PH is right to ask them to wait while he finishes the animal off.

There, howver, those who wound an animal, turn to the PH, and say, "you follow it while I wait at the truck".

This is the sort of so called "hunter" who should really have stayed home.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first outing for buff, the PH and I discussed the eventualities beforehand, of course. He told me that if there was a follow up, it was my animal and he would only shoot if I screwed it up. I liked that, went on the follow up and we found the animal dead. I was relieved, but I was also energized, and I appreciated his confidence in me. I would never tell a PH to go sort it out himself.

I know my limitations. I shoot well enough and fully realize I am an amateur. I flew as first officer on many jobs and would not presume to question the captain. Same goes for PH's. But a ranch hunt in RSA is a heck of a lot different than a DG hunt in Zim, Moz, CAR or TZ. The PH is the man. I suffer from no delusions about my abilities.

I related the wounded animal/no second shot story to a Tanzanian PH and the first words out of his mouth were "South Africa." I don't know how common this is, but I was sick at heart and still am because that animal was lost. That was almost five years ago. The trophy fee didn't matter in the scheeme of things. I was greener than green and have been told by several who know that I should have fired anyway. If I had it to do over again, I would take the shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thread guys, and I agree with all said. But believe me, we Madmen cameramen don't trust blindly when it comes to filming big nasties in heavy cover. If I don't have total faith in the guy with the gun, I do not go in, period. Ivan has earned my trust , for reasons shown in the DVD's we produce as have others seen there. But just because a guy has a PH card does not mean I will blindly trust my life to him and his ability.
I have said"no thanks before" and never felt bad about it afterwards. I have also had elephant blow dust, blood, and snot in my face with guys like Ivan by my side and I feel right at home there!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400,

All points well said!!!... Wink

I've never been on a DG hunt yet, but would love to hunt a buff or two in my lifetime...Yep, there's a big diff being on a PG hunt than a DG hunt for sure.

I definitely give you a toast for this thread...well done... beer

In fact very well done.... beer beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, as far as I'm concerned, you rank up there close to a combat camerman. Any dangerous game stiuation can quickly get out of hand. It's nowhere nearly as dangerous as being in a firefight, armed only with a camera, but you must feel a bit naked out there.

Last safari, I was on a ten day and when that ran out, I went along on buff hunts with my buddy Ed and Bloodnut. They wouldn't let me take a rifle, so I took my camera. I couldn't get rid of that uneasy feeling of insecurity, but it was a lot of fun. You and all the other DG photogs have my respect.

One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
We always live in hope that the client WILL make the first shot count.The ammo for our big DG back up rifles is far too expensive for us to waste !

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for Mark not wasting bullets!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark DeWet:
We always live in hope that the client WILL make the first shot count.The ammo for our big DG back up rifles is far too expensive for us to waste !

Yeah, Charley Horsley told me he paid around $70.00 a round for his .460. Blew me away. That's full box of Remington 300 gr. A Frames in .375 here in the states.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jet. Most days are just another day in the bush, but some days...Oh My it can get exciting.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading Saeed's post reminded me of a story my PH told me. He was with a guy who took a shot at a lion at some distance away (despite being told not to do so) The lion turned and came for him. This guy told the PH " You take care of it". (I swear the PH said it was just what he said and I came to trust the PH implicitly -and I spent my life in a business where judging people could be very important)The PH dropped the lion -but wait- there's more. At a group dinner in Harare (this was a company sponsored hunt in Zim for its "successful salesmen" and happened nearly 20 years ago)this same guy told the assembly that HE killed the lion. I asked the PH what he did. He replied: " What do you think I did, you dumb Mick? I kept my mouth shut!"

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote