THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    458 Win Mag High Speed Firing - KNP Ranger Drill
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Win Mag High Speed Firing - KNP Ranger Drill
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Vlam
Do you realize how unlikley this is. Can you imagine yourself flying to Canada to do this? I know what works for me if the other works for you that's great but I wouldn't start off by saying it is the best or the only real way to go about it. If I'm going to travel to go shooting it will be with the boys from Texas or off to the Kootnays. The big bore shoot in Montana sounds great also.
Take care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave
This is a sincere offer for a free African Adventure. What else do I have to add to make it worth your while. How about a 5 days plains game hunt at game ranch cost prices. You cant beat that.
Anyway, if not you then I am sure there must be another out there who would like to take me up on the offer.
Let me know if you change your mind, but I am dead serious about it. Either way we are going to do it, I just thought I would make the offer to you first as you had been the only one who had taken the time to publish your videos and interesting facts about your cartridge.
Cheers
Ian

P.S. On rereading your message I want to clarify that I never said that the method exibited was the best. In fact I started off my posts by saying that this was specifically for field guides working i the field. Not PH's or hunters on a follow up. Just for your understanding a Field Guide is a person who conducts walking trails through nature reserves with tourists.

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
vlam i can go next year ,prepare something for me and my son ,hes 12 but recently won a tactical rifle tournament to 40 hunters.After training ill hunt a bit ,very intersted in bushpig and warthogs as here i guide boars mostly besides wing shooting,if you can hunt bushpig with dogs ,i would love that,please send me aPM.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Juan
Bushpig we can do. I have already started working on the program for you and your son. Will get it to you within a few days. And not to worry, I am sure we will be doing plenty of shooting tests while we are there. Might even have a FAL by then for you to show me some of your trade secrets
Chat soon
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ok,i want to learn from you guys ,im very intersted in african survival ,hunting,and shooting methods ,perhaps i can make the basi course with Ferdie and hunt some hogs and plains game .By the way you are invited to hunt here ,when you decide.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vlam you must see DRPOZZI shooting ,hes left handed and works the bolt with his rigth hand ,i saw him winning every rifle tournament he participated ,several members of AR saw him shooting , hes incredible fast with the boltand incredible accurate product of many years of olympic shooting,here he teachs everybody rifle shooting .
ING.MARCOS A.FISCHER INFANTRY LIEUTENANT ARGENTINE ARMY.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fischer
I look forward to it and posting the videos up here afterwards. I have seen a lefty use this technique before like Juan and he was quick too. Need to have a strong wrist though.
He can teach me some tactical shooting while he is at it.
Cheers
Ian

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vlam:
What I propose is that if you are ever in South Africa, preferably KZN I will arrange a shoot, supply the video equipment, accommodation and 2 competitors from the off the shoulder school. You provide the two from the on the shoulder school.
We can run a series of tests both hunting and guiding related situations and then publish the results here on AR.

We could also film several other carry options and do some time trials for bringing the gun to bear etc. All time measurements etc will be done using video time code only so no chance of getting it wrong.

If you keen, lets start making plans.
Chat soon
Ian

I understand where Dave is coming from....the price of transportation to RSA from here is substantial. So unless you had another reason to be there, its pretty well cost prohibitive for your average Joe. I know my wife would kill me if I told her I spent $3500 just to fly to a shoot. Big Grin

Anyhoo, as fun as it sounds (and I hope Juan and you do get something going), it isn't always necessary to be in the same spot to do this kind of thing these days. It might also be fun to try and make some comparisons remotely....ie. agree on a standard shooting exercise (or multiple exercises), practice up a little and shoot it (with rifles and video cameras!). Then post it here. It could include a lot more guys that way, if there was sufficient interest.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fischer
I look forward to it and posting the videos up here afterwards. I have seen a lefty use this technique before like Juan and he was quick too. Need to have a strong wrist though.
He can teach me some tactical shooting while he is at it.
Cheers
Ian

Alan Vincent is a lefty and shoots a right handed rifle. He demonstrated his rapid fire technique for me when we hunted together in Tanzania in 2006. Of course, he has to keep the rifle on his shoulder while cycling the bolt with is right hand. I was very impressed though...he was BLAZING fast.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Juan
Sounds good to me. Should have something for you within a couple of days. Might have a new concession opening up with good opportunities for Nyala at reasonable rates too. Same property has buffalo on so we can get some stalking practice for you on them in thick Ilala veld.
Thanks for the invite to Argentina, I would love to come over some time. Probably not in the near future but once things settle down with the new lodge then it is a sure thing.
Will be in touch
Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Canuck
I think Dave is a little bit tightly wound personally. But hey we cant all be born friendly or polite for that matter. Should try relax, might help with the headaches.
The offer was an "if you are ever" offer and still stands.
Juan and I will make the most of the opportunity, and as you say having the opportunity to compare other video will be great too.
What would you suggest, should I start a new post asking for suggestions and then compile a shooting test schedule with some rules? That way we can then compare apples to apples. I got the feeling throughout the posting that no one actually read the first post which clearly stated that the video was showing the method taught for "Field Guides" not PH's or follow ups etc. I also never stated that it was the best or the be all and end all, just that for "Field Guides" it had been the tried and trusted method. Obviously to that means that I am forcing my will on the world in some peoples mind but hey, you cant keep everyone happy.

Anyway, I will be shooting a series of video clips with comparisons throughout next year and welcome anyone who would like to participate or who may ever find themselves at a loose end in Hluhluwe to come on over and do some shooting.
Looking forward to hearing from you all
Ian

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Canuck
I think Dave is a little bit tightly wound personally. But hey we cant all be born friendly or polite for that matter. Should try relax, might help with the headaches.
Ian

You shouldn't jump to conclusions like that, as I am afraid you are not very good at it. Dave is about the friendliest and easiest going guy I have ever had the good fortune to meet. You have pegged him way wrong.

This seemed like it might be a good excuse to do some more shooting and generate some interesting discussion, but I am more than a little put off of the idea by your attitude at this point.

Anyway, its an interesting topic. If you are serious, starting another thread is a good place to get the ball rolling. I'd keep it simple...like replicating the 3 shots at 3 pop can sized targets from a walking position, etc.

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Canuck
Sorry if I pegged Dave wrong. Apologies Dave. Maybe we have misunderstood each other. Anyway, I have apologised to you both now. If you read my posts properly I was trying to make a friendly gesture of goodwill when I invited him into my home.

Thanks for your time
Ian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim PH shooing test today...

Fastes split between (centre) hits on two seperate targets with a bolt action .89 of a second. one target at 10m and the other at 15.

Fastest split with a double. .58 of a second.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bar has been set. That is pretty awesome

Ganyana - Would you be willing to give us the layout, procedure etc for this one to be added into the test we are planning, new post started earlier.
Better yet, is there any way you might be able to get your two top scorers to do it again on film? it would make a worthwhile addition to tests.

Thanks
Ian

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
VLAM ,here im with my mauser 1909 458 winchester made to me as a gift by guillermoamestoy a member of AR ,this is the way i reload ,if im tired i put the muzzle down but i maintain the stock on shouder.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
My short 458 winchester.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Juan
Nice hunting rifle, have you got some close up shots too. Is this the DWM 1909? Will you bring this rifle with you on Safari? If you do I think we need to find you at least a Wildebeest to hunt with it.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
This is an argentine 1909 model mauser ,considered by many experts the best action even made ,i use it for stopping injured water buffalos.And not i wouldnt take any of my rifles on safari .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA