Notify
Tools

zambia - tondwa camp and sitatunga
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
from the camp in bangwelulu

and the beautiful black lechwe

we took the next 14 hours driving north into the camp at tondwa. The last 5 1/2 hours was on the most horrible road you can imagine. It was night and the temperature had dropped to the high 50's. We had to stop a couple hours from camp to pick up one of the staff. Imagine crawling out of a nice warm bed at midnight and jumping into the back of a cold truck. In any case we got into camp about 1:30 am, tired and thirsty (which a couple of brews helped out). The camp at Tondwa washes out every year and must be rebuilt each spring.

We slept in the next morning. About noon or so Terry went to the lake to retrieve his boat. We had a choice to either wade across the lake in the dark to the machan or to take a boat ride. Only thing was the boat leaked like a sieve. Terry had a couple tubes of silicone sealant that he wanted to fix the boat with. When he got back with the boat, he was more than a bit excited. He had seen a big sitatunga out in the open mid afternoon. Just where it shouldn't be. We jumped into the truck and headed out across the plains to the lake.
We could see 5 sitatunga from the truck. 2 females 2 young bulls and the horns of the big one Terry had seen. All we could see sticking out of reeds was his horns, but one of the small ones came out on the edge.

The big guy was across the lake and showed no interest in moving. Terry thought that maybe just maybe we might be able to sneak up on him. Into the reeds we went. We had about 600-800 yards to cross. Wading in water up to our waist we moved as silently as we could. The water had a green scum on top, but underneath it was clear and cool. Probably spring fed. Fortunately there were no crocagator or hipposauses around.
It probably took 45 minutes to an hour to make a decent sneak. We were about 100 yards or so from the far edge where the sitatunga were, when a female came into the open and started to feed. We figured that we had been had, but she never saw us. Working our way a bit closer and getting a different angle, we could seen the horns of the big guy moving toward the female. We froze, hoping that he would come out near the female, but instead he swung over a bit and walked slowly toward an opening. We froze in the waist deep water while he fed his way into the opening. His head and upper portion of body came into view. He had no idea we were even there. Terry had the shooting sticks set up and the Beretta was resting on them, but we were standing to low to see over the reeds. Squeezing the sticks together and standing on my toes I could just see the crosshairs over the top of the reeds. Trying to control the wobble best as I could, the first 165 gr partition hit, taking out the top of the heart. He jumped straight up and the second barrel caught him in the spine. I doubt that I could have gotten the second shot off with anything but a double.
He fell straight down and it was a gleeful walk through the hippo runs over to him and then back across the lake to shore.

It was only the second time Terry had made a successful stalk on a sitatunga. Then to top it off he measured 28 3/4", making him the biggest one of his career. The long hair and markings on a sitatunga make them one of africas most beautiful animals

Quite a start to the hunt, first day lechwe, first day sitatunga. There's more to come, lots more.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can definitely say that I have never had to shoot while waist deep in water. It can't be easy. Normally you try to stay OUT of the water but you really scored on that one.

You mentioned the hippo runs...isn't that like stepping into an underwater ditch? Sounds like something that would keep the stress high.

Looking forward to more of the story but a great start!

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
A good read and thanks for the pictures.

Quite a stalk though the water. Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Butch- Great hunt and what a beautiful animal!! Well done.

I met Terry last year while hunting in Zambia-he's a really good guy!

Congratulations!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man what a trophy, love those spiral horn, I am green with envy! thumb

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great trophy and quite the stalk.

Congratulations!

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Isn't that a beauty, both animals!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
Beautiful animal.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Butch, Great pictures and glad you had a great hunt. When you have time, please send to my office some pictures of your hunt so we can put in your file. Terry told me that he enjoyed your hunt and that you took some great trophies.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Super trophy and heck of a hunt! Congratulations.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Butch Lovely trophies, congratulation on a excellent hunt.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding story and pics!

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats Butch on two fine trophies. Your Sitatunga will make Roland Ward. I look forward to reading the rest of your report. GH, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote