New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAAM Safari Training Courses?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone done one and found it helpful. It look pretty cool but at over 4,000 dollars it seems a bit expensive. you could do an actual hunt for that amount of money. Just interested it the price justifies the experience?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not . However , Ivan Carter tells me it is fantastic.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went in January of prior to my elephant hunt with CMS in April of 2015. WORTH EVERY PENNY IMHO. You can PM me if you want more details.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the moving targets

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Some of my clients did it ,very usefull ,the instructors were retired seals with hunting experience ,many shots in realistic situations .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Full disclosure - I have taken many ( over 50 clients ) to this course. As a client activity it's great, you are giving them a gift that lasts forever. MOST, if not everyone that attends, doesn't realize what they don't know until it is taught to them.

I used to take these same guys hunting in several different venues. More lost animals, and missed shots, broken rifles, rifles that didn't repeat than I care to remember. In 2007, I started with a group of 12 guys, in one class. My partners and sales guys, were kind of skeptical, to say the least. After that first year, everyone wanted to come back, and guys that didn't come, asked to. Fast forward ten years, many have also brought their kids and spouses, on their dime. EVERY (caps intended), EVERY single one, without exception, also has much better equipment now.

In my opinion, it's worth every penny. With the cost of travel and trophy fees these days, the SAAM courses maximize the shooters effectiveness. Most hunters do NOT know their limits, whether it be from sticks, sitting, prone or whatever. You will learn your limits at SAAM. Personally I go for a 2 day tuneup prior to an african hunt, and bring the rifles/ammo I plan to shoot there.

The instructors are not just SEALS, they are also hunters, and pretty dang good ones at that. The food is good, you will work hard the whole time you are there, and I promise you, you will make some changes in your equipment as a result of what you learn.

I just took 4 friends from Namibia and RSA there last month, these are lifetime hunters and shooters. As hunters, they are very serious, as competitive marksmen, they are also very good. To a man, they all learned a ton, and now also know that in a 15 mph cross wind, 300+ yards out, if that shot is within their capability, is it an ethical shot. If you haven't shot a bunch at longer ranges, in those conditions, you're probably guessing at yours and your equipment's capability.

There are quite a few on AR that have been here. I noticed on the last trip to the Caprivi, one of the scouts, wearing a SAAM shirt. I had to giggle a little bit, but it was cool to see.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, well worth it! Especially the African Safari prep course if you are planning to go.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAAM is $2950 for 2 days and 120 rounds, $4150/4 days/300 rounds. Meals and lodging included. Safari Shooting School is $2550/2 days/ 120 rounds meals and lodging included. Gunsite Hunter Prep is $1100/3 days/200 rounds and General rifle is $1775/5 days/500 rounds No meals or lodging. I can vouch for the excellence of the training at Gunsite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you had a good experience . I didn't. In fact, I had no experience .

I booked private lessons. Bought plane tickets . Afterward, they determined they had some conflict. Cancelled . They never responded to subsequent e mails or a call.

They are not high on my list of places to go. They are high on my list of places to avoid. I would not spend $10 with them after the treatment I got.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also attended a similar school, Gunsite Academy, outside Prescott, Arizona many times in prep for safaris. Besides extremely experienced instructors, great ranges and hunting scenarios, you can't put the kind of pressure that you train under by yourself on you home range. It is amazing the benefits of having a trainer catch little flaws you may have developed over time. Plus it is fun!!! Expensive maybe. But I have always considered it a great investment.

I would definitely recommend it!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
I have also attended a similar school, Gunsite Academy, outside Prescott, Arizona many times in prep for safaris. Besides extremely experienced instructors, great ranges and hunting scenarios, you can't put the kind of pressure that you train under by yourself on you home range. It is amazing the benefits of having a trainer catch little flaws you may have developed over time. Plus it is fun!!! Expensive maybe. But I have always considered it a great investment.

Best regards, D. Nelson

Joyce certainly came back from Gunsite with a new found confidence.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:

Best regards, D. Nelson

Joyce certainly came back from Gunsite with a new found confidence.

We had fun shooting your lion target too! And eventually getting her own leopard!

Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I am glad you had a good experience . I didn't. In fact, I had no experience .

I booked private lessons. Bought plane tickets . Afterward, they determined they had some conflict. Cancelled . They never responded to subsequent e mails or a call.

They are not high on my list of places to go. They are high on my list of places to avoid. I would not spend $10 with them after the treatment I got.

Larry,
Which school are you talking about? Which one to avoid?

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunsite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Gunsite

Larry, you should really gives the boys at SAAM a try - excellent people and actually it was a lot of fun too.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Larry was talking about SAAM, and that DID NOT sound like Tim Fallon's crew. Glad it was not SAAM. But Larry, I agree wit everyone who has been to either the SAAM Safari or Precision courses, they are a learning experience like no other, and they are fun start to finish. I am going back in July for a refresher.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote