THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Who amongst us uses a .308 Win in Africa????
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who amongst us uses a .308 Win in Africa????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting to where I am not in love with the magnums as much. I am liking the .308 and the 7x57.

Who here hunts Africa with a .308 very much???

Posts: 10348 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted Africa with a .308 but my son has. He had no issues with pg. Plenty of people have used a 7x57 on pg including myself. I don't see much difference between the two rounds and wouldn't have any issues using a .308.

I generally use a .375 for pg. Before a shoulder surgery five years ago I was considering dropping down to a smaller caliber/non magnum. If I have further shoulder issues in the future I wouldn't hesitate to use a 30.06, .308, 7x57. I used a 30.06 as a kid on pg with no issues other than the occasional poor shot. As with all calibers, proper placement is key.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS:

I went through the Kenya gun registration ledgers from the 20's-60's a number of years ago expecting to see it filled with large calibers. I was surprised to find over 90% of the registered rifles were .303. There is no telling how much pg the .303 killed in East/British Africa. IMHO, there isn't much difference between the .303 and the calibers you are considering. If you go in that direction, let us know how it works out.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a .308 in Africa.
I borrowed the .308 from my PH when I was there. I loved it and it did everything I wanted it to do.
Kudu, Wildebeest, Sable, and some other plains game that I cannot remember.
It is a great caliber.

Posts: 2660 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 243, 270, 30.06, 300 H&H and 300 Win Mag, plus 375s of course, on plains game. Didn't seem to make any difference. The only failure that wasn't my own fault was a 300 Win Mag bullet blowing up on an Elands shoulder at close range. I suspect that if the same bullet had come out of a 308 at lower velocity it would have dropped that bull.

Posts: 357 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t taken a .308, yet, I won a Colt .308 a couple of months ago and will be taking it to Africa next year. I have used .270, .243, 7-08 on plains game. And to add to AilsaWheels post, I’m leaving Saturday for pg in SA and the only rifle I’m taking is a .303 British. A single shot at that! It was built and donated by the custom gunmakers guild and I bought it, piece of art, but built to hunt, so that’s what it will do! Bet it works just fine.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2890 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking of taking three rifles next time.

Just like the good old days.

None will be a .308 Win.

Not taking an FAL or a G3.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13596 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Ross, No flies on a .308 (or .30-06 for that matter) for PG. Have been on many hunts where there were .308s in camp. Also 7x57 Mauser is a great PG round, as is the 7x64! There are so many! But as I said, no flies on a .308!

I think you are just looking for an excuse to buy another rifle Wink

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2310 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who lives in Africa.

He shoots everything with an old BRNO 308!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68435 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
It’s a classic besides being NATO round for a reason
That is all I shoot

Posts: 289 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Have taken a .308 Win to Africa many times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37596 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a .308 one year. It is my favorite whitetail cartridge, but can't say I plan on bringing it to Africa again.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At times I get the urge to trim my rifle collection to a .22, 44 Rem Mag, 308Win and my 416RM.
Then I look at my kids and think just to keep everything to pass on to them.
But that combination will surely be more than adequate for my needs.

Posts: 402 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 308 once in Africa but with the exception of culling a Wildebeast it was used entirely for a few hours of shooting Dassies off a huge rock face. Tue rifle was the assistant PH’s so I didn’t take it over just for that.

I’ve use an 06 there a lot and anything an 06 can do the 308 can do as well.

If you are just wanting to shoot medium sized plais game you could put in good work with 165 gr TatSX or Bearclaw.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking a .308 this year.

Last year I took a 7x57.

The year before that a .30-06 (I have taken the '06 several times before...)

The .30-06 and the 7x57 have killed all the PG I have shot at with them, up to and including Eland.

I do tend to use heavy for caliber bullets, but this time will use 150 grain ones. It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference. Of course I also bring a heavy rifle with. This time will be a .416 Rem Mag.

Posts: 10928 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Hasher says the 308 will do anything a 30-06 will and I've killed a pile of animals with an '06. Use your 308 and be confident in it with good premium bullets.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12993 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I'm taking a .308 this year.

Last year I took a 7x57.

The year before that a .30-06 (I have taken the '06 several times before...)

The .30-06 and the 7x57 have killed all the PG I have shot at with them, up to and including Eland.

I do tend to use heavy for caliber bullets, but this time will use 150 grain ones. It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference. Of course I also bring a heavy rifle with. This time will be a .416 Rem Mag.

I started using 308 130 gr all copper and they are simply lethal

Posts: 289 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After over 100 years ish I simply can’t understand the conversation of calibre. If you hit where you intended then there’s nothing else to speak about. If you can not then that’s a different conversation for a different time.

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
I have only one .308, an Enfield SMLE in 7.62 .
The 30-06 handles heavier 180-200-220 gr bullets
well, not so the .308 WCF.

The Enfield in its various issues and Marks in .303 was widely used in Africa during the early part
of the 20th Century as a "small bore" rifle. Even Bell borrowed one.

Stigand or Selous tells of a hunter of their acquaintance using a substitute SMLE in .303 with a headspace issue causing gas and particle emissions at each discharge. Yet the hunter managed to use it successfully with solids against a few elephant.
The price of purchase was 1 pound. He must have needed a "rifle" badly.

Posts: 418 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
On half a dozen safaris for PG, I have used a 308, all camp rifles. No problem. SHOT PLACEMENT!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13367 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1979 when I was managing a gun shop in Auckland I took delivery of some boxes of 303 barrelled actions, still in the grease. I tested them for headspace and found a big variation. Just by swapping the bolt heads around I got nearly all of them to headspace correctly. I still have one of them, never been fired.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
1. It is all about physics

2. The difference between a 308 and a 300 Wm is ~200 yards; i.e., what a 300 WM is doing at ~400 yards a 308 is doing at ~ 200 yards.

I personally don't know anybody who is concerned about shooting PG at 350-400 yards with a 300 Win Mag (assuming they are a good enough of shot) but I am continually amazed at the number of folks who are concerned at using a 308 Win for PG between 150-200 yards.

For much of Africa, 150 to 200 yards shots are about the longest shots you will encounter.

See things I have learned #13 Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
In Africa you can easily shoot everything within 100 yards or less
Absolutely no reason to be shooting far, because you just rob yourself of the African experience

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:
Absolutely no reason to be shooting far, because you just rob yourself of the African experience

Have you hunted every African specie on the continent to come up with that? What is the “African” experience?

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While it is always desirable to stalk as close as humanly possible, I look forward to all the reports of the True African Experience from those who have stalked to within 100 yards of Soemmerings Gazelle on the Somali border, or Gemsbok in the Namib or Lechwe on the Kafue Flats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, Mr. Pom. Swap out the bolt heads until the headspace is right. With enough rifles on hand, why not give it a try, right?

I’m not a fan of the .308 because we have the .30-06, which handles 180 grain bullets better and pushes them faster.

The .308 was designed for 150 grain bullets. It is a good deer rifle and I have used it for that purpose.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Two Zebras were standing in bushveldt and one said to the other:

"Don't worry Fred that guy only has a 308 win loaded with Federal Premium 180s Trophy Bonded tipped at 2620 fps. Now if he had a 30-06 with those Trophy Bonded at 180s loaded at 2700 fps we be in real trouble."

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Two Zebras were standing in bushveldt and one said to the other:

"Don't worry Fred that guy only has a 308 win loaded with Federal Premium 180s Trophy Bonded tipped at 2620 fps. Now if he had a 30-06 with those Trophy Bonded at 180s loaded at 2700 fps we be in real trouble."

Like the man said, why worry about bullet diameter, bullet weight, bullet construction, muzzle velocity, or muzzle energy or any of that other ballistical stuff anyway?

Real hunters use bows and arrows.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Pom:
While it is always desirable to stalk as close as humanly possible, I look forward to all the reports of the True African Experience from those who have stalked to within 100 yards of Soemmerings Gazelle on the Somali border, or Gemsbok in the Namib or Lechwe on the Kafue Flats.

I get your point, but it can happen...

I shot lechwe in Kafue with a 300 grain .375 H&H. The .308 would have been ballistically a better choice. Yes, it was a long shot... but then the Lechwe at Bangwelu was only 75 yards or so, so it can happen.

Made a rifle to take long shots at Mountain Nyala and Sitatunga. Both ended up being sub 100 yards.

On the other hand, I'm just finishing load workup for my hunt this year with the .308. I like some steel jacketed solids for small antelope and in case something mean jumps me when I have the light rifle in hand. The 220 grain Woodleighs give a very pretty sideways silhouette of the bullet. Rifle has a bit too slow a twist to handle the 220's. 200's shot, but not as tight as the 150's.

Posts: 10928 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of PG with .308Win. I used mostly Norma factory with 180 grain Nosler Partition...impalas..kudus..wildebeest and zebra.

Posts: 3973 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:

Have you hunted every African specie on the continent to come up with that? What is the “African” experience?

Seeing up close but that’s just me

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ross,

Some data for you.

The original 30-06 loading M1906 ball ammo was spec'd to fire a 150 grain flat based bullet at 2700 fps. Later (1926), a 174 grain bullet was used at 2647 fps. In 1938, the government switched back to 152 grain bullet at 2805 fps.

The original 7.62x51 (308 Win parent) was spec'd to fire a 147 grain bullet 2809. The standard 308 spec is 150 grn at 2820 fps

180 grain bullet avg ballistic coefficient .468

Avg Velocity 30-06 2713 fps 308 Win 2615

Down range velocity

Velocity
Yards 30-06 308
50 2620 2524
100 2528 2434
150 2438 2346
200 2350 2260
250 2264 2176
300 2180 2094
350 2098 2013
400 2017 1934
450 1938 1857

The difference in performance is 50 yards.

No plains game animal will know the difference.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:
A 152gr. bullet at 805 fps is a bit slow, don't you think? Smiler

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 747 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Not at all - the "2" was written using invisible font.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never personally taken a 308 to Africa . My kids have shot a pile of game with a 30-06. They did quite well. I’d have to think that a 308 would be fine .

My night time hog rigs are both chambered in 308. I love them.

Posts: 12084 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most reliable sources give the ‘06 a 200 fps MV advantage over the .308 with 180 gr. bullets on an apples to apples basis.

Similar to what a “standard” .300 mag. has over the ‘06 with the same bullets.

200 fps is not insignificant.

Plus, the ‘06 has a faster rifling twist rate, which enables better stabilization of longer and even heavier bullets of 190-220 grs. if desired.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
These reliable sources must not be looking at current factory ammunition velocities for like for like 180 bullet used within the same manufacturer.

Comparing mfg A using two different bullet types is not a valid comparison nor is using mfg B and mfg A with same bullet type between the two cartridges is not valid.

The comparison above was like for like across four different mfgs.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just opened my Hornady reloading app on the phone. 200 fps difference with max loads using 180s. 2,550 vs. 2,750.

Based on a quick scan, it also looks like Barnes doesn’t even offer a 180 gr. TSX bulleted load in the .308. No doubt too long to fit or be stabilized.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was the velocity of factory 180 gr 30-06 in the 1930's, 40's aand 50's?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Michael we can find all kinds of different data in reloading apps and reloading manuals, when comparing cartridges the most apples to apples comparison between the two cartridges is factory specifications same mfg same bullet as it is likely the most repeatable and controlled.

For example, I regularly loaded barnes 168 grn TSXs in both 308 win and 30-06 using optimal powders for each both with 22 inch bbls and saw 45 fps difference. All the loads were within books specs.

You should consider doing a comparison of current factory velocity specs 180 grain bullets - like for like same mfg same bullet and see what you get. Especially given, IIRC - Ross doesn't reload.

Mike