New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sure Cure for the Safari Blues
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good to see you had a good hunt. That is a great bull! I have hunted that ranch the last four years. It is getting harder to get in to the Yturria. Fees go up every year. I still think it is a good deal. We were on the wait list this year. Some in our party have hunted there for the last 10 years or so. It is a great hunt. It is my understanding that the King ranch is not offering these hunts to the public any longer. Only coorporate sponsored hunts. The Yturria ranch told us to go ahead and book last year but some in our party were dead set on hunting doves in Argentina as a change of pace. Looks like we missed out. Nilgai are good eating mostly. The first year my nilgai was strong tasting but last year's was mild and quite good. Rut? Eating strong weeds? I dunno. I am glad I am eating last years bull. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make a very challenging hunt for bowhunters. Large and quite tough but sometimes very difficult to stalk. Not great eating though, IMHO.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Zambian,
Mature nilgai bulls do look blue-black from a distance. They are originally from India, but are now free-ranging on the southern Texas coastal plains. Texas has a larger free ranging population than India! There are a few on exotic ranches BUT most of the guys I know like the other posters here hunt em on big low fence ranches in the Texas tropics!

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Another shot of my bull.

This is a fun hunt to take your Dad or son on too! My Pop shot a nice bull as well!

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Just got back home from a great hunt on the Yturria Ranch near Raymondville, Texas. My fifth nilgai hunt and one of the best ever. If you are ever searching for a great hunt thats reasonable and will remind you of African plainsgame, try Nilgai! I shot my bull at 250 yards after a 2 hour stalk. He measured 10" which is a good 'un. Was shooting my .375 H&H with 300 grain Failsafes. These bulls take punishment like you wouldn't believe and are spooky! Quite the challenge and just the ticket for the "safaris not until July" blues.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I have hunted the King Ranch several times with my good friend Ray Lambreth from Laredo, he has the stock yards there and I think he has a ranch at Victoria also, you may know him...

Another great hunt is Bison, I do that every year and the two ranches I hunt them on are great, they are big, wild, and hard to hunt...

Nice thing is you can hunt Nilgai, and Bison all year around but of course the cooler months are the best.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact, I do know Ray. He does business with us and crosses alot of cattle in from Mexico. He is a good man and a great businessman! Small world. Will have to do one of those bison hunts with you one day, Ray.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Oh, by the way, we did leave a few.........

There were thirteen bulls in this group. They are about 200 yards away and are moving out.
Here are four bulls we caught at the La Retama windmill. Alert as usual!

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Neat looking critter! Just out of curiosity-are they good eating?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull! What does it cost to hunt one of these critters?
Regards Mike

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,
Lucky you looks like you had a good time.
Just thought you would like to know that Nilgai translated into english means blue cow, Does the nilgai look bluey?
Not being an African animal I have never seen one also I have been told that these animals originate from India where nowadays they have become very rare.Maybe the future of exotic animals will be game ranches.
Maybe one day you could hunt buff in the states.

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a big bull in Benavides a couple of years ago. They are tasty, but that one's meat was like shoe leather, definitely had to be cooked in the slow cooker.

Zambian: Many people call Nilgai, Blue Bull. The bulls do look bluelish at a distance, but they're actually more black with some silver hair.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,

I wonder if Mr.Yturria is the same gentleman who used to live in Brownsville, Texas?

If he is, please give him my best regards. I had the pleasure of staying at his house while visiting Brownsville. And as with all the Texans I met, he was the perfect gentleman. Both him and his wife were the perfect hosts, and made us feel as if we were part of their family.

Posts: 66948 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,give us the details on whom to contact,cost etc.
I hunted several years ago with Amos Dewitt and just recently learned he passed away.I had intended to hunt again with him.I dont know if Tia Moyo Corp. retained their concession on the King Ranch after Amos'death.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Bravo five one

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote