Find
Notify
Tools

The Elephant, et al.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Before I begin, I have some advice for some of the folks who read here about planning your upcoming safari. Consider some other African stuff beside hunting.

I particularly love the Victoria Falls area and the activities and sightseeing available there, so at the beginning of this trip I stayed at Gorges Lodge which is about 20 minutes down the Zambezi from the Falls. I visited the Falls for the umpteenth time, went on the booze cruise, did a helicopter again, etc. You just can't enjoy Victoria Falls, too much.

The dining area, the bar and your private laupa all hang out over the Zambezi and the views are simply amazing. Wives and Girlfriends will certainly enjoy this fine place with its great food, wonderful chalets and professional staff.

Some pictures from the Lodge and Vic Falls:

While my primary focus on my hunt to Deka this September was leopard, I dearly love to hunt elephants. I am not nearly as experienced as a myriad of folks who post here, but I’ve done my share of up and down hills on Tembo’s track.

There is no thrill in the world better than slipping among a bunch of animals dozens of times bigger than you and getting positioned for an ethical shot (and not one that will get you killed by the surrounding elephants which are inevitably pissed).

I wrote here sometime ago, getting amongst a few hundred thousands of pounds of powerful flesh and tusks makes me think how German U-Boat captains must have felt when fighting surfaced... darting in and out of convoys during the World Wars. Come to think of it, neither people nor submarines handle being counted coup very well. Hunting elephants has to be the ultimate thrill! It makes you feel as alive as you'll ever experience.

Deka has way, way too many elephants. Almost every tree carries scars from over-abuse from them. Most trees are reduced to stumps that spout suckers and remain only as high as a man’s head. In some places, the whole terrain looks like a battlefield where aerial bursts of artillery have denuded a forest. Add in that my safari was in the dry season and most of the leaves had fallen, made seeing elephant in the rolling hills just darn easy.

Besides leopard, when I booked the hunt, I reserved a quota for a tuskless cow. Upon my arrival, Lou Hallamore, my professional hunter, told me that he had seen dozens of elephants every day while setting up a few baits for me. His past experience turned out to be a good predictor of what we’d see. I don’t think a day passed that 60 elephants weren't glassed.

On the first morning, our first task was to get three impala for bait and hang them, resulting in a total of six baits, including the three that Lou had already hung. We took our time at breakfast that morning, I shot my leopard rifle a few more times for confidence and off we went shooting an occasional impala.

We started seeing elephants within a mile of camp. There was so much poop in the road that you wondered if someone sprinkled Ex-Lax on the mopane trees. Of course, we checked every bunch for a tuskless lady, but we had no luck the early part of that morning.
As I explained elsewhere Buffalo Hunt, we interrupted reconnaissance of our leopard baits through lunchtime to hunt a a great dagga boy.

That afternoon, after trying stalks on several kudu and wary zebras, I took the below stallion with a pretty good shot from 200 yards, particularly, since I was using a 9.3x74 double, albeit scoped.

The next morning we saw the far side of 100 elephants as we rode around checking baits.

On the road to Hwange Park, both coming and going from camp, we must have seen 15 groups. Among them was my first tuskless sighting, but she had a wee calf with her. I took another impala to replace a slightly ripe one and we finally started discovering leopard tracks… lots of leopard tracks. Four of the six baits were hit with two of the tracks indicating males.

That afternoon we had a few more good stalks on kudu, but they were smarter than we.
On the third morning, in the dark, we climbed a pretty high and steep hill to overlook a leopard bait about 80' lower than where we had built a blind on the first afternoon. Any shot would be about 60 yards, so the angle was rather acute.

It was cold, particularly since I’d worked up a good sweat climbing the backside of the rocky cliff. As the sun just began to change the black of the eastern sky to violet, Lou tensed and whispered that he thought he saw an extra rock at the base of the bait tree. I looked through my scope and saw nothing distinguishable in the valley below and dismissed his comment as wishful thinking.

Oh, me of such little confidence. Right at that moment, the new shape at the bottom of the tree decided to tell the world that the bait in the tree above was his and he’d kick anyone’s butt if they challenged him. RRRRRRRRRAAAAAHHHH! RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAHHH! Twice was his declaration and both times, chills went up and down my spine. But, as leopards do, after vocally making his claim, he just dissolved into the pre-dawn shadows, to leave many a spoor and eat two whole impala, but never giving us a chance in sufficient light for a shot.

On the way back to camp, we again saw several bunches of elephants, but no tuskless. Lou indicated that after eating breakfast, we’d get serious about taking one, so my eggs, bacon and toast tasted particularly good that morning.

As promised, by 9:00 a.m. we were in the Land Cruiser and headed back out. We took a path that paralleled the river that runs (if dry sand runs?) in front of the camp, progressing all the way to the Hwanke border, then turned north along the line and back to the main road. I’d guess that we glassed 10 groups of elephants, ranging from 3 to 12 in number. Most all were cows and calves, but we did see a couple of 35 lb. bulls among them.

Reaching the Hwange road, we reversed our course and backtracked. We all agreed that the elephants were coming and going to water so we'd probably would see a different set of elephants on our return. Such proved to be the case.

A mile or so past our “best” leopard bait, Alfred signaled that game was in sight. We had been seeing lots of kudu in this particular little valley and I thought that was his indication. When I raised my binoculars to my eyes, I discovered that I was quite wrong.

Three elephants, two being grown and a calf were about 500 yards from us and slowly walking away towards some hills. We could clearly see that a cow with tusks was mommy to the half-grown calf. Wunderbar! It was evident that the other cow had no tusk on the left side.

Encouraged, we “un-trucked” and grabbed our rifles. Yet, having been through this drill several times this trip, only to find that one tusk had been broken off and the off-side had ivory, I still had a wee doubt that this old lady was to be my trophy.

The mopane was rather sparse between us and the elephants. We could clearly see them while we hustled directly towards the slowly retreating group. For some reason, the suspected tuskless lady became interested in one of the few trees about and since the other two elephants continued their march, a gap of 200 yards or so widened between them. We got in that space, figuring that big mama would certainly come our way.

Now in front our quarry, it was plain that the approaching cow had no tusks. She was obviously mature, had no calf and therefore was a shooter. I took deeper and deeper breaths and prayed to not screw this up.

Lou stood behind me with his .470 Wilkes at the ready. The cow chose to pass on our left at 20 yards. We weren’t hidden at all and were just remaining as still as we could be.

I really didn’t want to botch the shot and starting wavering about whether I wanted to take the perfect side-brain shot that the elephant was going to offer in three or four seconds. Brain like a loaf of bread, lung and heart like a Volkswagon, I thought.

I slowly raised my .458 Win. Mag. and looked at the crease by the shoulder. Lou said, “Side-Brain”, and I took one more breath and complied.

BOOM!

Immediately the elephant’s rear legs gave way, then the front and she landed, stone dead, still vertical on her four knees. Of course I’ve seen it happen before, both on videos and once by my hand, but never right out in the open with nothing to obscure the view. Damn, it is instant and almost surprising.

I worked the bolt and looked for the other two elephants to see them having spun around and flapping their ears, deciding whether to come investigate or flee. Lou whooped a couple of time while I put two insurance shots in the heart of the lady, sure of my first shot, but heck, more than one elephant has done a Lazarus trick.

After the second pop to the chest, the old lady just seemed to ooze over onto her left side. The other two elephants climbed the hill to the north, occasionally grumbling a toot or two on the way out of sight.

I walked around her body and touched her eye with my rifle. I felt really strange. I’ve killed elephants before and it is always the same. They are so damn big. I empathize with great elephants. They are old and regal. Big Grin

I am a hunter to my bones and killing seems to be a necessary part of me, but I can’t help having some regret upon the death of such a wonderful creature, even though I can justify it as game management and the use of a renewable resource, providing thousands of pounds of protein. Heck, there are obviously too many elephant in Deka and they need to be managed, but still, killing an elephant shouldn’t be a casual act, at least in my humble mind.

With these emotions and my adrenalin having been exhausted, I sat down on a fallen tree by the elephant and gathered my thoughts.

By the time that Alfred, Clement (the trackers) and Alexander (the game scout) arrived, I was just fine. I’d played my role as I was born to do. An amazing creature and been taken cleanly and with no suffering. The camp staff and their families were going to have plenty of food for a while and with the crocodile farm using the remainder, nothing was going to waste... For sure, nothing goes to waste in Africa.

Lou and me with the Grande Dame:

Above: The Hornady 500 grain DGS entered at eye level on the other side and obviously exited where the blood bubbles indicate. I'm really not sure where the bullet hole in the ear came from unless her ears were folded forward when I shot?

Below is a picture of one of the DGS's that were shot for insurance. It fell out of the skin between the far shoulder and the ribs and was not deformed at all. The other insurance shot exited (maybe through the ear?):

The rest of the safari was wonderful, to say the least. After the usable meat was taken from the elephant the next day, we prepared a blind up on a hillside 100 yards away, being careful that we could sneak to it without being seen from the remaining carcass with the assurance that a hyena or two would be there until the sunrise ran them away.

We awoke well before light and stopped the vehicle one-half mile from the blind and pretty much felt our way to it. As the night began to leave the east, Lou whispered to me that lions were on the elephant. I took his place and observed a lioness and two grown cubs grabbing stringy pieces of gristle and eating it.

I don’t think I, or anyone else moved, but the lioness saw something she didn’t like. She put her ears forward, turned toward me and stared intently. Folks, even at 100 yards, through 8X binoculars, a pissed lioness will get your attention. She crouched and began to purposefully slide towards us as if on a greased track. I whispered to Lou that she was coming towards us and he acknowledged my concern. A cub voiced something in lion-talk that must mean “What’s up Mom?”, and she turned away after only 10 yards or so towards us, gathering up her cubs and disappearing into the murk.

Lou whispered, “Good! Now the hyenas will come!”.

Sure enough, at that lope that looks like Quasimoto running a wind sprint, from the left, two hyenas appeared, intent on nothing but getting a bite before, vampire-like, they had to be back in their graves before they could see their shadows.

Both ran behind the remains of the elephant and whooped and ate for a bit, but I had no shot. Finally, the bigger of the two decided that he wanted some meat from the back of the skull and scampered around to pull and tug at the meat.

With the cross-hairs steady on his shoulder, I lightly touched the set trigger on the little 9.3x74 Merkel double.

I rolled the sucker to the cheers of the Black crew, but he was up in a flash and running right to left at a good clip. I shot again and hit him just above the brisket, breaking his left leg and ending the event, right then.

The hyena was an old dude with worn teeth and a hide full of scars. I will make a wall rug out of the hide and look forward to looking at it and remembering that satanic giggle he made just as my first gunshot sounded.

Before the safari ended, I took a good kudu after a rewarding stalk down a dry creek bed and then up the banks to make a 60 yard shot. As usual, the little Merkel killed dead.

The leopards were never very cooperative again with all the lion activity and lots and lots of hyenas about, but believe it or not, I enjoyed shooting sand grouse and guinea foul to my hearts content. I don’t regret not getting Mr. Spots... It is just an excuse to go back.

And, my smile says everything.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just great, Judge!!

Great old tuskless..

And I need to take your advise and get over there and see The Falls.. Ive yet to do that.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great safari. Did you shoot the ele with the 9.3 as well.

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Judge,
You are living well...glad you had a great trip.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story sir. Thanks for taking the time to write it for us.

Posts: 41776 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Elephant was shot with a .458 Win. Mag. built on a CZ military Model 98 Mauser action. It has a synthetic stock (with wood grain). I particularly like the NECG large white bead front sight and the shallow V rear express sight with a whitle vertical line engraved in the center.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, your adventure made for great reading!

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am amazed that you survived hunting an elephant, while using a cartridge that; penetrates poorly, has insufficient velocity, is poorly designed and hasn't enough case capacity to make it a safe DG cartridge.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! I love hunting hyena as well. Ele too, but those Sons of the Devil are a delight to go after! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well done,Judge
Love the report!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

It is always with great enjoyment that I read your posts. Don't stop.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done Ernest!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG:

Thanks for a very interesting post and pictures. (You reminded me (sadly) that on my only trip to Africa -and within less than 100 miles of Victoria Falls that I never went over to see "the smoke that thunders". I was glad to see that a hyena got shot. (My PH kinda brainwashed me into disliking hyenas. I think he never forgave me for failing to shoot a hyena who stood almost transfixed in the headlights of the truck (we were retrieving a zebra shot earlier). I had my PH's Colt Python in my lap - and, instead, got rattled and tried to reach for the rifle. I shot a buff at between 30-35 yards who had turned towards me -but that hyena rattled me.Smiler I noticed that you used the word "tembo". I had heard the name for elephant in Zimbabwe as "mzou". (Guess yours is Swahili and the other may be Zulu because the trackers I knew were Zulu)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another great report. I love the photos, but did not see the one of your hang gliding over the Falls clap

Best regards, Darin

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Another great report. I love the photos, but did not see the one of your hang gliding over the Falls clap

Best regards, Darin

Ultralite and JudgeG is an oxymoron. I exceed the max gross takeoff weight without the darn aircraft.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Wonderful report and it looks like you had a great time.

I will also say the Judge is right. The pro hunter, Dean Kendall, was kind enough to drive me up to Vic Falls while I was in Zim. Really nice of him. He paid the fuel and I got the lunch and drinks. We all need to add something other than the hunting and do not miss the Falls when in Zim. It alone would be the trip of a lifetime, along with drinks on the veranda of the old hotel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A classic.One of my favorite reports.It has a bit of everything.Congratulations and I hope you have another next year.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This has been an outstanding report in every aspect. Thanks for sharing your safari with us.

I cannot believe how differently the habitat looks in Deka these days. As you said in your earlier report, elephants have totally changed the foliage. It doesn't look very much like I remember it, when the Mopane Tress were large and abundant.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure enough, at that lope that looks like Quasimoto running a wind sprint, from the left, two hyenas appeared, intent on nothing but getting a bite before, vampire-like, they had to be back in their graves before they could see their shadows.

Dang Judge, nobody writes like you do! I love reading your posts and your "in person" stories are the best. Congrats on your success. I really appreciate the pics of the Gorge Lodge. I've been there before and it brought back some great memories. Wife, girlfriend; oh absolutely! They all love it, just be sure not to bring them both at the same time Smiler See you in Dallas, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good for you Judge! Well done.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Judge, love the hyena

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Great read thanks for sharing and welcome home.

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Excellent read, congratulations on another great trip.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Awesome hunt report. I am jealous and impressed. I have only been to Zim once and would love to go back. What do they get for accomidations at Gorges Lodge more or less $$

Thanks again for a great post

Jamie

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
great great story judge ....

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I walked around her body and touched her eye with my rifle. I felt really strange. I’ve killed elephants before and it is always the same. They are so damn big. I empathize with great elephants. They are old and regal.

I am a hunter to my bones and killing seems to be a necessary part of me, but I can’t help having some regret upon the death of such a wonderful creature, even though I can justify it as game management and the use of a renewable resource, providing thousands of pounds of protein. Heck, there are obviously too many elephant in Deka and they need to be managed, but still, killing an elephant shouldn’t be a casual act, at least in my humble mind.

With these emotions and my adrenalin having been exhausted, I sat down on a fallen tree by the elephant and gathered my thoughts.

the ethos of a true hunter ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
Judge,

Awesome hunt report. I am jealous and impressed. I have only been to Zim once and would love to go back. What do they get for accomidations at Gorges Lodge more or less $$

Thanks again for a great post

Jamie

Gorges Lodge is not cheap, obviously because it is a class place, but they have an all inclusive plan that includes three meals and two "activities" per day and a ride to and from the airport. Activities include a Falls visit, the elephant ride, rafting, etc. I believe a day with the activities is $320 US. If you figure that each activity costs not much under $100 anyway, the price is quite reasonable.

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Excellent report. Well written account of your adventure with great photos. Congratulations on a wonderful trip and welcome home. Best of luck with Mr.Spots next time around !
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge - great story. I very much appreciate your attitude on the comparison between the need to hunt elephant and the emotional attachment afterwards. Weird psychological place to be isnt it ?

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge, my wife loved the falls. If we go back to Zim I think that place is defiantly worth a few nights after the hunt is over.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. I really enjoyed the read, photos, and the way you recreated the experience for us. Well done!

One of these days, I want to go back to that part of the world. With any luck, our trip will turn out to be as rewarding as yours. Fantastic safari!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, Ernest. Hope we can do Vic Falls if we decide to hunt Zim next year.

F.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Et al, is that like "you all" in Georgia?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just had the opportunity to read about your elephant hunt. You certainly have a way with words and can put one right into the action, sights, and smells of Africa. We have only been to South Africa once on a plains game hunt and I had the opportunity to kill a blue wildebeest and Gerald got a nice kudu, blesbok, and impala. We are looking forward to going again and hope to make the Dallas Safari Club convention in January and meeting you! Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us.
Rosemary C
wife of Gerald C

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Congratulations clap, I see the old 458 Winchester Magnum continues to give satisfaction to its users. I'm glad jumping.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing judgeD.

The smile says it all Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt and a better story.I wanted to hunt a hyena after my elephant,but ran out of time.Maybe next time. Congratulations on a great hunt!!

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG...Thanks. That's just great. Thanks a lot.

Just when I had begun to convince myself that I could muddle my way through the rest of my life without making a second trip to Africa, along you come with these fantastically well-written hunt reports...specifically, your recent buffalo report, and now this one.

I sacrificed the bulk of my gun collection (or accumulation) on the altar of my first trip. In order to do another one, I may have to do the unthinkable, i.e. work a lot of overtime!

Seriously, it's nice to read hunt reports that are more than just "shot this, shot this twice, missed this, shot this, shot this..." ad infinitum.

Thanks for the great reads, and many congratulations.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

Nice! You have a great attitude that allows you to get the most from your safari even if everything you'd like doesn't end up in the salt.

I'll have to check out the Gorges at sometime. I had not heard of it previous to your report.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote