Find
Notify
Tools

Re: If? Then why not? So what?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted
I have to say most of these guys are very tollerent.I also say that when in Rome do as the Romans do or pay the price.The 45-70 can kill Buff,we all know that,but should it be your choice for a once in a lifetime hunt to Africa?If I was to go there and spent the money it takes,I would want the best caliber available for a once in a lifetime shot just not one that works but one that is known for just kicking butt.

Don't take me wrong,I love my 45-70 but it is not as good for Elk as my .300 as it is not as good for DG as say a .458.Lets try not to make it something it is not being a better choice would be a .416 on up for the big critters that bite back.

Just my opinion.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was wondering what dead horse tastes like. Does anyone know? I've heard it tastes a bit like chicken and a bit like beef. If it is tough do you have to flog it to tenderise it?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

First of all to Hogfan,Canuck, marterius, 500 grains, and JeffeyDenmark. You people exactly made my point for me, who cares if someone wants to shoot even a sling shot at a buffalo

Yep, you're just another troll trying to start an argument.

Quote:

Originally posted by a troll:

...but if someone wanted to give me an all expense paid trip to Africa...

Are people lining up for that yet?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't play this card very often because I actually hate it when other people do, but ....

Maybe I'm just a girl and this is just too much for my pretty little head to worry about, but what? GIVE IT UP!!!

The way I feel is if it works for you, then do it. If you try it and it doesn't work, then modify your technique and try again. If it still doesn't work, then GIVE IT UP!!!

That is the most my pretty little head can come up with, but just so you'll know, I don't have any problem with the idea that you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. GET IT!

Just one of my rantings - and if you check, I don't have many. This just seems to be prep'd, marinaded, cooked, over-cooked, burned, then warmed up as left-overs. IMO.

Shannon

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to start an argument, just trying to figure out why people like yourse;f amd others on this board are so closed minded. Does it really bother you that someone else has a different opinion than you, would you have a knock down drag out fight with someone over the fact that they thought the 45-70 would kill a buffalo. If being open minded and giving my point of view, and enjoying reading, hearing, if not agreeing with someone elses point of view makes me a troll then thatis what I be. Would much rather be a troll, than a sheep.

Posts: 626 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, it tastes like a dead horse.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You PH is probably going to want you to shoot your buffalo within 30 yards. Now what, when he (the buff) wants to even the score?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry. The above was ment for Tech.

Dave

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We tolerate the intolerable.

I hope I said that right.

I have been told I deserve a medal for tolerating Walter's shenanigans for so long!

Posts: 66975 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering how many people on this board have actually taken a buff with a 45-70? I have a feeling the answer is zero. If so I would love to see some pics. Will someone please write an essay on why not to hunt buff with a 45-70 and all 45-70 questions can be directed to the essay. Tech, no one ever said a 45-70 can't kill a buff, there are just better guns for it. A ball peen hammer can kill a buff if you wack him in the head enough, it's just not the right tool.

Posts: 54 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must not be communicating very well, because some people are not understanding what I am trying to get at here, and it's probably my fault. I have no experience on dangerous game anywhere(unless you count women) so I am not qualified to be spouting off advice on which caliber is sufficient to take a cape buffalo. My point is that after reading some of the 45-70 debate, and reading how individuals were giving and taking major offenses to each other over each others opinions to the point of wanting to meet up for a fight, now is it just me or does that not seem silly in the extreme. So again my major point is so what if someone believes that they could kill anything that moves on the planet with the 45-70, it's not going to harm you to have a civil discussion on the subject, and if you cannot change their mind then let them go on and try it again it's not your skin on the line it's theirs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've stayed out of the 45-70 discussions because i don't care. If I take another Buff, it will be with a bow even though I have a 458 Lott.

I've eaten dead horse and dead zebra. I thought the horse was just tasteless meat that needed flavoring similar to the taste of bear. The Zebra tasted kind of like beef liver.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I must not be communicating very well, because some people are not understanding what I am trying to get at here, and it's probably my fault. I have no experience on dangerous game anywhere(unless you count women) so I am not qualified to be spouting off advice on which caliber is sufficient to take a cape buffalo. My point is that after reading some of the 45-70 debate, and reading how individuals were giving and taking major offenses to each other over each others opinions to the point of wanting to meet up for a fight, now is it just me or does that not seem silly in the extreme. So again my major point is so what if someone believes that they could kill anything that moves on the planet with the 45-70, it's not going to harm you to have a civil discussion on the subject, and if you cannot change their mind then let them go on and try it again it's not your skin on the line it's theirs.

There is so much water under the bridge on this topic that no matter how new or sincere you are in your question, you will not find a civil debate about it here.

To understand why, you need to know the history on this particular debate. Do a search on this forum as far back as you can (three years or so). Once you have finished reading them all, you will understand. Most of us (whether pro, anti or indifferent to the use of 45-70's on cape buff) are not intolerant, we are just tired of the same issue over and over and over and over and over again.

The point I tried to make above was directed to the "regulars" here and was to say that if you don't like the 45-70 debate, quit participating in it. The less interest there is, the faster it will go away.

I am personally not against the use of the 45-70 on buffalo (if thats what someone wants to do), but I sure as heck won't be sad if the day comes that no-one raises the issue here again!!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Here it is...I am not going to give it away, and you gotta pay the day fees, but I'll give anyone that wants to shoot a buff with a 45/70 govt all the opportunity they want for $3500 a buff. That's 1/2 price on my trophy fees. One of my PH's is a lurker here and laughs every time this stupid assed subject comes up. Put up or shut up Tech, Carmello, or whatever you want to call yourself.

Here's the deal-
Trophy fee-$3500ea-no limit
Day fees (7 day min.) $800/day (usually $750, but the PH is in more danger on this hunt, so I gotta pay him more)
Import fee, License, etc.-$450
Air charter from RSA to Mozambiqe to my concession there-$1000 one hunter, $1200 for two (one non hunter)
Non hunter-$250/day

If you get there and decide that the 45/70 ain't enough gun, you pay $7000 per buff.

That should take care of it. I dare someone to take me up on it. That being said, I really like the 45/70, and I have hunted Africa successfully with a 454 Cassul, but I have enough common sense to know when I am undergunned.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hhmag,

While that is probably a very generous offer, it is still beyond my means. You see I have a daughter, and another daughter on the way in 2 months, so in order to take you up on that I would have to use money that is put away for their education, which I will not do. I wish that I had money to waste on such hunting expeditions but alas I am a family man first. I do have about 5 weeks vacation saved up at work however, and if you would pay all expenses including getting me there and back I am in. I will buy my own rifle since I would want to become very proficient with it, probably trade in my .338 win mag.

I think that you are missing my point, and making my point at the same time, probably quite accidentaly. Since you seem to a little upset at your misconcieved notion that I think the 45-70 is an excellent cartridge for big dangerous African game, truth is I don't know one way or another, but if someone is willing to shoot a buff with a bow, I certainly would not miss out on the chance of a lifetime to shoot one with a 45-70. After all would not the PH be there backing me up with a 458 lott or something similar. I hope that noone else takes this to mean that I am on one side or the other of the 45-70 debate, my point is be civil and act like adults.

By the way who is this carmello, was he a smart, good looking, funny, and wise individual like myself(just a joke for those that have a hard time understanding me).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The point I tried to make above was directed to the "regulars" here and was to say that if you don't like the 45-70 debate, quit participating in it. The less interest there is, the faster it will go away.

That is an excellent point!

Don't you think that there are continually going to be new guys coming to the board, with similar questions about the issue? Are you guys that don't wish to discuss it anymore just going to shut them down, and possibly cause them to leave, imagine the knowledge that they may have been able to bring to the board. Or will you simply ignore the question?

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Quote:

To understand why, you need to know the history on this particular debate. Do a search on this forum as far back as you can (three years or so). Once you have finished reading them all, you will understand. Most of us (whether pro, anti or indifferent to the use of 45-70's on cape buff) are not intolerant, we are just tired of the same issue over and over and over and over and over again.

Just to make Canuck's point even more clear: When you do this search, you will notice threads not only discussing the actual question, but threads discussing the debate on a meta-level (how come X reacted like this when Y asked about 45-70, etc), and will also find the 45-70 debate a standing joke in this forums in every topic from feral cats to Saddam Hussein. Se what I mean?

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Once I found on a magazine that an ex legionaire etrang� bet that he can kill a Buff with a .22lr. He won, he shooted at the buff at the nape of the neck, after he avoided the buff like a torero.
Is for this reason the .22 a DG cartridge? of course no. Was the man a hunter? maybe, but very unconventional.
I knew one ex legionaire etrang� after a terrible heartquake in Friuli. It was the '75/'76.
His house was still up, but thru the cracks was possible to see furnishings or a vista of the panorama normally visible from the other side of the house.
That ex legionaire invited me to visit his house, showed me the damages and told me that he was still sleeping there during the night to avoid robberies, but always ready to jump out from a second floor window, when an earth tremor happen, as was happened that night. I always thought that he was crazily brave, but maybe more crazy than brave. As I think of the one of the first part of my post.

bye

P.S.: anyone crazily brave enough for a demo? c'mon don't be timid

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote