Notify
Tools

One year ago today...Gibbo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
Rest in Peace my friend.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Sitting in Harare at Buzz's house when we got the news.

RIP

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
bull of a man - i think about him often -

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great gentleman who knew Chewore North like the back of his hand... he is sorely missed.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Every time I think of elephant hunting I think of Gibson and I only know him From videos
Tough on family
Been there

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed my time spent talking and joking with him. RIP, my friend.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
bull of a man - i think about him often -

+1
Memorys like pulling thorns out of the soles of his deck shoes, watering down the coca cola, raiding the Packet of sweets, a beating from him when not expecting it, dissapering down the river with the Mutumbos, bribing the woman cop with my Biltong, quick haunched shuffle into position, advising to "hook it!", those old but practical Poro prism Swarovskis, that well pointing but crap 458, all the great lessons in hunting the Zambezi and so much more..

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Every time I think of elephant hunting I think of Gibson and I only know him From videos
Tough on family
Been there

Likewise. He seemed such a jolly fellow and loved his profession. Still prayers to his family and friends.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I loved watching him on TV. RIP

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was the ultimate predator-eyes forward all the time. I was told before our only safari with him to put a handful of pebbles in my pocket, and to throw one at him when he got too far ahead. I thought it was a joke-it wasn't! What a gifted hunter he was, knew every square inch of Chewore North. How he loved M&Ms. When I asked about getting a bushbuck, he said it would be simple,and proved it. 90 minutes after leaving camp, we were back with a fine old ram. There are few that are his equal, and fewer that are his superior. Rest in peace, my friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was leopard hunting in Rifa camp with Spike Claassen when the news came through.
Cliff Walker was there as well, on a fishing trip with some friends.
Everyone was having some pre dinner drinks, and the news hit (actually think someone was looking at AR). Everyone was shocked and told me no one was more experienced than him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gibbo sorely missed by all- what a great guy he was!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was a great guy. I regret not hunting a lion with him, when I had the chance.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at work on the phone telling someone I was going to Africa again because I didn't want to have any regrets in life when the news flashed up in an email.

RIP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We actually just shot and will begin editing today a REMEMBERING GIBBO theme TV show for Tracks Across Africa. I will give a heads up on when it airs.
Miss Gibbo a great deal. One of a kind...

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I never hunted with Gibbo but he was one of my favorite PHs knowing him only on film he was my kind of PH. He seemed to always be calm and tolerant of his clients' inexperience guiding them in the right direction! I will always miss him in the African films in future!

..................Africa has lost a fine man and PH but he will be remembered! R-I-P Gibbo salute

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This time of the year. Visibility must have been poor with his last encounter.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Just watched the "Tracks" episode about him and I must say it was very well done. I never had the opertunity to meet or get the chance to hunt with him but he seemed like a good fun loving no nonsense type guy that really knew his stuff. The show was a fitting tribute to him.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
We actually just shot and will begin editing today a REMEMBERING GIBBO theme TV show for Tracks Across Africa. I will give a heads up on when it airs.
Miss Gibbo a great deal. One of a kind...

Saw that episode last night and enjoyed it very much. Well done.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote