New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 404 J
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we’re talking 404J and its derivative cartridges, I’ll throw in an oldie but goodie to consider. Just having a 460 G&A finished on a Win M-70 Classic. That’s the 404 J case slightly trimmed and a bit modified at the shoulder yielding about 90 grains powder volume. COAL 3.6” so just right for a Win M-70 configured for the H&H class of cartridges.

Received a video from the GS last week showing flawless feeding and extraction of the 4 dummies I sent him. GS made a new mag box and follower to allow 4 down and 1 in the chamber for final approach. Rifle’s out for metal bluing now so should have it in the next couple of weeks for load development. Loaded with CEB BBW#13 500 gr monolithic solids in front of enough powder to get to 2350 fps, it’ll be the primary DGR this summer after tuskless in Zim.

Its backup will hopefully be a Ruger Hawkeye African rebarrelled with a modified Ruger #1 barrel, just installed yesterday and waiting for finish reaming of the original, 458 WM chamber. Of course it became shortened in the process of modifying the #1 barrel to work in the Hawkeye receiver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
My brother-n-law was showing me how powerful AI is with ChatGPT. He told me to have it write anything I wanted. I said “write a limerick about the 404 Jeffery”. Here is what it spit out in less than a second. My brother-n-law is a college professor. He can’t tell if a paper is written by students or ChatGPT. The only thing he can do is quiz the students about what they wrote to see if they understand the material. Scary.

This is a bit off topic, but this may be the first AI limerick ever written about a 404 Jeffery.

There once was a rifle named Jeffery
Whose round was quite legendary
The 404 it shot
Was powerful and hot
For hunting, it was necessary

Wow. That’s kinda scary…

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5 Wildcatter:
Since we’re talking 404J and its derivative cartridges, I’ll throw in an oldie but goodie to consider. Just having a 460 G&A finished on a Win M-70 Classic. That’s the 404 J case slightly trimmed and a bit modified at the shoulder yielding about 90 grains powder volume. COAL 3.6” so just right for a Win M-70 configured for the H&H class of cartridges.

Received a video from the GS last week showing flawless feeding and extraction of the 4 dummies I sent him. GS made a new mag box and follower to allow 4 down and 1 in the chamber for final approach. Rifle’s out for metal bluing now so should have it in the next couple of weeks for load development. Loaded with CEB BBW#13 500 gr monolithic solids in front of enough powder to get to 2350 fps, it’ll be the primary DGR this summer after tuskless in Zim.

Its backup will hopefully be a Ruger Hawkeye African rebarrelled with a modified Ruger #1 barrel, just installed yesterday and waiting for finish reaming of the original, 458 WM chamber. Of course it became shortened in the process of modifying the #1 barrel to work in the Hawkeye receiver.

Sounds like a nice working pair of DG rifles!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW I always loaded my 404s with 400 gr bullets at 2400 to 2500 FPS wherever the sweet spot was..I can say without a doubt the 416 Rem was as good at about 50 to 100 fps less...I liked the 450-400-3" in a double..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've always liked the sound of the 460 G&A since reading about it years ago. Sounds like a well balance cartridge and based on the 404J case will be a smooth and reliable feeder.

As a matter of interest why do you feel the need for a backup 458 Win Mag rifle. Not sure how many tuskless or other large animals you intend shooting but surely a mag full of 460 G&A will suffice and the M70 would be a very reliable rifle?

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I routinely carry a second rifle when I travel on hunts. This is to ensure I have an adequate caliber rifle which I’m familiar with, in case something goes wrong with my primary rifle.

I plan on 2 tuskless, so I’ll probably use the 460 G&A on the first and the 458 WM Hawkeye on the 2nd.

On this hunt my PH carries a Win M-70 458 WM, his primary DGR, for back up in case it’s needed.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I routinely carry a second rifle when I travel on hunts. This is to ensure I have an adequate caliber rifle which I’m familiar with, in case something goes wrong with my primary rifle.

I plan on 2 tuskless, so I’ll probably use the 460 G&A on the first and the 458 WM Hawkeye on the 2nd.

On this hunt my PH carries a Win M-70 458 WM, his primary DGR, for back up in case it’s needed.

Sounds good

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Early on we were limited to Woodleighs in our 404s and that was never a problem, later on we got GS Customs, North Forks, Barnes, and always had the Woodleighs, all good bullets, I never suffered from lack of bullets, brass or powder, these shortages are of late to to the best of my memory, and it goes back when buffao hunts were the price of a good saddle...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote