Find
Notify
Tools

PH gored by buff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted
Well known Zim PH Martiens Naude was gored by a buff in the last couple of days.
News of extent of injuries and which hospital he is in are not known as yet, but will post as soon as details come in.
I wish him a speedy and full recovery and look forward to hearing what happened.
We met Martiens a few times over the last 3 weeks
while up in Zim and he is a most pleasant gentleman and by all accounts a heck of a PH.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked with Martin Naude this morning in Bulawayo and he is fine. Buffalo did not get his horn into him but did hit him hard in the right leg. Very close call but Martin is fine. He was just leaving home to rejoin hunt.

Posts: 38 | Location: Pensacola, Florida | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good news all around! Glad to hear it was not serious!

Who says the "Big 5 DG" are not DANGEROUS!

I'd like to know if he "bagged" the bugger!

Mike R. In TN
Africa! Buff! in 2004!

Posts: 45 | Location: Chattanooga, TN USA | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's no fun being "bossed" around.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike.....someone must have "bagged" the bugger 'cuz once you start the dance it ain't over 'til it's over....you or the buff.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the dance goes on, and some newbie to one African hunt will be telling us dangerous game animals will not hurt you...A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...where is Garret when you need him....

I hear these same stories evey year, some poor PH gets it in the shorts (or crotch), a lion chews him up or a Leopard scratches him a bit or an elephant turns him into nothing....A few hunters or tourist every year are added to that list..It happens every year.

It pays to be carefull.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
...where is Garret when you need him....

[Smile]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<richard powell>
posted
'Elephant turns him into nothing.' Ray ... the perfect line !!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It just amazes me that anyone can think these animals aren't dangerous.

My little 4.9 pound cat can tear the hell out of you with her claws, and teeth. I know they don't loose ANY speed at 600 pounds, and, I know lions by nature are mean, nasty, combative creatures.

Try getting a rifle aimed as the little cat charges, much less a roaring, 600 pound lion.

It's incredible how common sense goes right out the window when talking about Africian animals.

Cape Buffalo make the bulls in Spain look like house pets...

Elephants? A film of an angry elephant, intent on doing damage, should be standard viewing for anyone considering the continent. The amazing speed, agility, and strength that "slow moving, stupid animal" has is just unbelieveable.

S

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Got this from Martien's nephew last night.

I spoke with Martiens last night, he's ok. It was only his leg that got gaffed, so he was in hospital just long enough for them to sew him back together. What happened was he was out with a client, and had been tracking and stalking a herd for the whole day, when the client decided he had had enough of walking and let fly at a bull off his own bat. Martiens then went after the bull in the thick stuff when it charged him from behind. After being tossed into the air a few times he and his rifle parted company, but his personal lesser spotted had the presence of mind to pick the rifle up and shoot the buff, who was then distracted enough for M to finish him off. The client thought capturing all of this on film was more of a priority.

So Mr Garrett, what were you saying about dangerous game?

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been a good year for the animals.

The score in Zim this year is

Elephant 1 PH survived
Elephant in communal lands 7 locals

Leopard 5 ( all alive)

Buff 4 (including the ecologist from mana pools - Norman Monks who was just walking back from the office to his house.). One parks NCO failed to survive one encounter.

Buff in communal Lands 9.

Lion 1, - Bugger when they eat your tracker. It makes following up very hard. Last year C. Chareli lost a tracker to a lion as well.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote