New
Find
Notify
Tools

577 NE 3" Bell Brass - Who has?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got a new to me 577. I gather from old posts that Bell brass is the way to go. Anyone know where to find some? Anyone have dies for sale?

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
www.ch4d.com has your diesm shellholder and bushing for your press.. You'll need an RCBS supreme press, or something else that can handle 4" rounds, ... the supreme uses the same bushing as the RC3

midway prices for a die set, 375 bucks
ch4d -- 161

MAST, who makes BeLL brass, no longer lists this on their website
http://www.masttechnology.com/caseprices.htm

You choices are Bertram and Horneber, I believe

hungtons has bertram, generally in stock

http://www.huntingtons.com/CasesBertram.html

Hornerber is listed, and cheaper than bertram... I believe it to be the best brass there is for the 577

http://www.huntingtons.com/CasesHorneber.html

for bullets, you best bet, i believe, it to get a box or 3 of woodleigh softs, send a couple of them to www.hawkbullets.com and ask Andy to put the grove where the bullet will have the same OAL...

if you've never had a 577, the first things are
1: all bullets MUST be crimped
2: use ONLY fed 215 primers
3: a FILLER is REQUIRE... 1/2" thick styrofoam sheets using a case as a cookie cutter seem to work well..
4: Reloader 15 is your friend
5: If you are so unfortunate to not use a filler, the hang fire you will experience (the second one) is like waiting from judgement day... keep your eyes open, the lord's name on your tongue and what for it to hit you... it will... wait AT LEAST 30 seconds...

In other words, you have a GREAT round, that can whip the snot out of you.... and will cost a good deal to load.

The brass prices are roughly 4.50 (after shipping) each. Richard has found that a normal person would probably be fine and dandy ordering 60 pieces for a long long time.

Tell use all about your gun.. pics?

jeffe

Posts: 38502 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 577. I use Horneber brass,seems to be pretty good quality.I know Huntingtons has this brass in stock right now,just got a letter from them. I also have some bell brass but it comes unformed,meaning it needs to be resized and trimmed,so order the trim die from ch4d also.I think it is like 85.00,happy shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Back in Alaska where I belong | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
140 grains of IMR 4831 gives 2050 to 2065 in my .577. A full case and no wadding needed. Order the BeLL Brass from MAST Technology direct.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would go with the 4831 load and avoid the filler.

I used Re22 in the 600 nitro with no filler and never had a problem although there was 1/4 to 3/8" gap between the bullet and powder.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote