Find
Notify
Tools

Lion hunts in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
I read the recent hunt report with two Lions killed. What's the present Lion hunting situation in Namibia? Are there any on quota as trophies? How many per year?

I wasn't offered one when I was there but while researching the outfit I hunted with one reference said he was offered a "PAC" Lion near Etosha.

How common is this? Are there that many coming out of the Park and causing problems?

I just wonder what effect this might have on the future of Lion hunting in general, not just specific to Namibia.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard there are enough canned lions over there these days to have screwed up the record book classification of Namibian lions. Perhaps Aaron or Lane could shed some light on that.

I recall that Boddington shot a legitimate wild Namibian lion a few years ago -- some sort of PAC cat, I think.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about canned lions in Namibia or anywhere really. I also don't have any specific info on those lions shot for PAC. I will say that they were very young...probably 2 year olds just kicked from a pride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of any canned lion hunts available in Namibia.

Peter Thormahlen at Thomahlen & Cochrane had a license for one just outside Etosha last year. He's a very reputable PH.

I went through Etosha in 2006 and saw some absolutely unbelievable lions - the most beautiful lions I've ever seen anywhere.

My sense from Thomahlen is that these licenses are not regularly available and are only occasionally made available by the Namibian government.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't have used the term canned--far too subjective. Beyond those park cats, my understanding is that there have been a lot of captive-raised lions coming out of Namibia. But I could be mistaken.

I saw a guy on TV the other night hunting a lioness with the Tam boys in RSA. He kept talking about how seeing huge-maned lions walking about was why he came to Africa. He might have even said something about it being magical. I would probably use other words to describe a 35,000 acre property turning out multiple MGM lions every year. Thormahlen also sells such hunts in RSA:

http://www.africatrophyhunting...6LdYtP4fsKpTZnpuZO*b

I've no doubt these guys work hard to make the hunts as fair chase as they can be under the circumstances. Both outfitters talk about how they're in compliance with the latest regs, and T&C even takes care on their web site to distinguish South African lions from free range cats (with the free range ones located in Namibia, by the way--surely the limited opportunity you mentioned). This more ethical captive-raised lion hunting clearly appeals to some people (lower cost, high success, outstanding manes, no malaria risk, etc.), and I suppose it's okay, so long as no one calls it something it isn't.

Anyway, that's a long-winded way of correcting my earlier statement. My understanding is that captive-raised lions are becoming increasingly common in Namibia, and that the situation has affected how Namibian lions are treated by at least one record book. Perhaps someone else has more knowledge regarding the existence or non-existence of hunts for captive-raised lions in Namibia.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I killed a problem lion with Vaughan Fulton north of Etosha in 2004. Mine was a tracking hunt for one particular, old, cattle-killing problem lion - who, by the way, was traveling with most of his pride.

The females, especially, did not take kindly to being harassed by us hunters. They frequently turned the tables and hunted us.

And as we did not have an MET permit for any but the one lion, it made things interesting, and dangerous, to say the least. Often, when the females would double back on us, we had to retreat, and break things off.

My hunt was not a canned hunt in any way, shape or form. We tracked and stalked my lion for nearly a week, before we finally killed him.

It was the most harrowing, and unforgettable, adventure I have ever had.

I would certainly hope that the despicable South African practice of planting drugged and hand-raised pet lions in enclosed spaces, for shooting by naive, or complicit, foreign hunters, has not spread to Namibia, but I have no recent knowledge of that.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit.
The two lions our team shot at the Ekongo
Farm was young cattle killing male lions coming out of the Etosha National Park.

According to the PH´s and the farm manager on situ, they where part of a pride of five lions, most likely on a "training hunt" they said.

The offer to hunt those lions came out of the blue, as the cattle was killed the night before we came in.

Such offers to shoot PAC lions can be on a days notice the way I understood the manager.
It there are no clients on the farm when such killings occur, or no hunters like to participate in such a hunt, the manager and his staff shoot the lions them self.

The lions was not exportable as trophies, and the skin and skull belong to the farm manager.

Still it was an unexpected and very exiting manouvre for those of us that participated.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
Frostbit.
Farm was young cattle killing male lions coming out of the Etosha National Park.

According to the PH´s and the farm manager on situ, they where part of a pride of five lions, most likely on a "training hunt" they said.

The offer to hunt those lions came out of the blue, as the cattle was killed the night before we came in.

Such offers to shoot PAC lions can be on a days notice the way I understood the manager.
It there are no clients on the farm when such killings occur, or no hunters like to participate in such a hunt, the manager and his staff shoot the lions them self.

The lions was not exportable as trophies, and the skin and skull belong to the farm manager.

Still it was an unexpected and very exiting manouvre for those of us that participated.

That is the way a PAC hunt should be conducted - not like some we see advertised for months on end!

One of Us
Picture of Hallgeir Gravrok
posted Hide Post
My PH and Outfitter also have problem cats that they shoot when they have killed cattle or sheep, The Lions are animal that is coming from Etosha Nationalpark, because the fence is in really bad condition.
This Lions is raiding the farmers livestock and causes big problems.
They take this lions out, and you can not get any exportlisence for this animals. I never heard of any canned lion in Namibia.

Posts: 78 | Location: Norway | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
Frostbit.

Folks - A couple of things that I think would be IMPORTANT to NOTE! I do believe a GOVT AUTHORIZED PAC lion permit in Namibia is an EXPORTABLE trophy. Generally Namibia issues ONLY a handful of these per year. Certainly landowners have/do allow hunters/staff to shoot what they consider problem lions, but they are often NOT state sponsored PAC lions. If they were, an export permit would be available. I cannot speak to the total legality of this type of hunt for a visiting hunter, but Namibia does allow landowners to take lion/predator matters into their own hands. So I think often times, these landowners are simply trying to capitalize on a chance to make money, telling a client that they can shoot the lion/lions, but that they are not exportable. If no export permit is available, its not a legitimate, government allowed, PAC. Just FYI.

I have no problem with the making money part of it, that's business, and I understand. I understand protecting your stock, etc. But I do worry that if the non-hunting community/scientific community/PETA/HSUS, etc, etc. Get their hands on pictures of lions shot, like these 2 yr olds, that the surrounding circumstances WILL NOT be considered. They will simply be used to show that hunters are shooting young lions, without consideration of age structure, conservation, consideration of the current plight of the lion, etc, etc. Basically, its more ammo they can use to support their proposed uplisting of the lion to a CITES 1 animal, and to have the lion listed as an Endangered Species. Both, are something the lion hunting industry just cannot afford.

Just making a comment, nothing more. But it would seem awfully quick, that in less than 24 hrs, a PAC authorization would be granted? TIA, and they can't spell their name that fast, much less authorize a PAC.

I think a friend of mine said it best regarding the lion problem around Etosha. The pride system inside the park is full, thus often times, young males are spreading out and looking for their own territory. And old males kicked out of the pride, are doing the same thing. Since Namibia issues NO trophy-hunt permits for these lions, its becomes a HUGE waste of a valuable resource. Roughly 100 lions per year are killed on the out-skirts of Etosha!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibian problem lions are often, but not always, a short notice proposition. Several hunters had tried for mine in the months prior to my safari. None was successful, so the hunt went on.

The local cattlemen paid the price, as the lions killed over 60 head of cattle.

Also - assuming that they have been properly permitted by the MET - Namibian problem lions are absolutely exportable.

Mine is in my living room.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Also - assuming that they have been properly permitted by the MET - Namibian problem lions are absolutely exportable.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Namibian problem lions are often, but not always, a short notice proposition. Several hunters had tried for mine in the months prior to my safari. None was successful, so the hunt went on.

Thats right, last time when I was hunting in Etosha Conservancy, we suddently got a permit to shoot a lion, that were exportable. We must hunt this lion on a very short notice, I did not hunt this lion because I were about to go home next morning, but another client shot a big male, on these permit.
Next year I`m going back and I have got the message that I have pri 1 when they get a permit.. And I will use it, thats for sure, I think it sems that it`s more strickt to get a import lisence to US than it`s to Norway, even if both countries are obligated by the CITES regulations.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Since Namibia issues NO trophy-hunt permits for these lions, its becomes a HUGE waste of a valuable resource. Roughly 100 lions per year are killed on the out-skirts of Etosha!!

That is the clarification I was seeking.

Thank You

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

Folks - A couple of things that I think would be IMPORTANT to NOTE! I do believe a GOVT AUTHORIZED PAC lion permit in Namibia is an EXPORTABLE trophy. Generally Namibia issues ONLY a handful of these per year. Certainly landowners have/do allow hunters/staff to shoot what they consider problem lions, but they are often NOT state sponsored PAC lions. If they were, an export permit would be available. I cannot speak to the total legality of this type of hunt for a visiting hunter, but Namibia does allow landowners to take lion/predator matters into their own hands. So I think often times, these landowners are simply trying to capitalize on a chance to make money, telling a client that they can shoot the lion/lions, but that they are not exportable. If no export permit is available, its not a legitimate, government allowed, PAC. Just FYI.

I have no problem with the making money part of it, that's business, and I understand. I understand protecting your stock, etc. But I do worry that if the non-hunting community/scientific community/PETA/HSUS, etc, etc. Get their hands on pictures of lions shot, like these 2 yr olds, that the surrounding circumstances WILL NOT be considered. They will simply be used to show that hunters are shooting young lions, without consideration of age structure, conservation, consideration of the current plight of the lion, etc, etc. Basically, its more ammo they can use to support their proposed uplisting of the lion to a CITES 1 animal, and to have the lion listed as an Endangered Species. Both, are something the lion hunting industry just cannot afford.

Just making a comment, nothing more. But it would seem awfully quick, that in less than 24 hrs, a PAC authorization would be granted? TIA, and they can't spell their name that fast, much less authorize a PAC.

I think a friend of mine said it best regarding the lion problem around Etosha. The pride system inside the park is full, thus often times, young males are spreading out and looking for their own territory. And old males kicked out of the pride, are doing the same thing. Since Namibia issues NO trophy-hunt permits for these lions, its becomes a HUGE waste of a valuable resource. Roughly 100 lions per year are killed on the out-skirts of Etosha!!

Thank you Aaron you hit the nail a 100% on the head. clap

Lions on a PAC export permit from Namibia are normally hunted inside one of the rural conservancy areas, these animals are identified as problem animals due to killing of livestock or endangering human lives. A specific problem animal is identified as such and by law only this animal is aloud to be shot. Etosha lions do not fall under this category if they venture onto privately owned farm land.

If you look at these 2 links you will see what happens when the non-hunting public / newspapers reported on the 2 collared male lions shot in Namibia a while ago. The public outcry was unbelievable!

http://allafrica.com/stories/201005070460.html

http://www.namibian.com.na/ind...%5D=74563&no_cache=1

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nampom:
Thank you Aaron you hit the nail a 100% on the head. clap

Lions on a PAC export permit from Namibia are normally hunted inside one of the rural conservancy areas, these animals are identified as problem animals due to killing of livestock or endangering human lives. A specific problem animal is identified as such and by law only this animal is aloud to be shot. Etosha lions do not fall under this category if they venture onto privately owned farm land.

If you look at these 2 links you will see what happens when the non-hunting public / newspapers reported on the 2 collared male lions shot in Namibia a while ago. The public outcry was unbelievable!

http://allafrica.com/stories/201005070460.html

http://www.namibian.com.na/ind...%5D=74563&no_cache=1

Roger - Thanks for the links, and yes I've seen these stories before, as have many others. This is exactly what I have been telling folks, and referring to, in many of my posts regarding the young lions shot lately. The public is watching, regardless of whether we think so or not!

I'm not commenting on the facts/issues of the shooting of these collared lions, as I have NO problem with that. If they are living in a hunting area, a legal permit is issued, the lion is mature, and that specific lion is NOT made illegal for hunting, by the authorities. Then it becomes nothing but a bunch of bleeding heart, bunny-huggers, whining about hunting. Unfotunately however, once it gets into the "public" eye. Facts, figures, issues and other circumstances (Problem Animals) are completely ignored. But when they show collared "pets", or obviously im-mature lions shot, it can become huge fuel for their fire.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.wpazambia.com/Artic...0Lion%20Hunting.html

This is an interesting link of Zambia's opinion of canned lion hunting.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://www.wpazambia.com/Artic...0Lion%20Hunting.html

This is an interesting link of Zambia's opinion of canned lion hunting.

Kathi - I know Phil. We've spent some time lately talking about the issues in Zambia. He's very passionate about Zambian lions.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be a much better system for the lions if the MET issued a quota for areas surrounding Etosha.

But that would make stopping the depredations of these lions dependent on the market for lion hunters, and their tastes for only the old, heavily-maned specimens.

And let's not forget that a three year old lion can kill a cow as easily as a six year old.

So that kind of system is not a great solution for the locals and their cattle.

And let's also not forget that animals always lose in conflicts with humans and their interests.

I have mixed feelings about Namibian problem lion hunting. I took a great old lion, and paid a handsome trophy fee (although small by today's standards) that went to the locals.

Yet I don't blame the old boy I killed for doing what he did - namely, killing cattle by the car load.

Beats working for a living, chasing zebra and gemsbok.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I was editor of the SCI record books in the 1990s when it became apparent to the club's Trophy Records Committee that nearly all lion entries from South Africa and some of the lions taken in Namibia were "canned." The committee responded by removing all lion entries from those two countries from its book.

It was a timely move because very soon after that a BBC-TV program appeared in Britain and South Africa exposing canned lion hunting, and the club was able to say it already had taken action to discourage the practice.

What I thought was interesting was that some outfitters had been so skillful in staging phony "hunts" that some members refused to believe that they had been duped. At least one threatened to sue the club for refusing to publish the fact that he had killed a lion where no wild lion had been seen in 75 years.

Typically, they would have hunted high and low for a week or more before they suddenly encountered their trophy feeding on a freshly killed wildebeest or some other critter. In other cases, an outfitter would inform a hunter that a single lion had moved into the area and was causing problems, and could be killed at a bargain price.

I haven't followed what has happened in recent years, and don't know what criteria the SCI book has for listing lion trophies now. I also have no idea if canned lion hunts still are being conducted in Namibia. I do know for a fact that at least one well-known, long-time outfitter was offering canned lion hunts (unbeknownst to his clients) before the club stopped accepting lion entries from that country.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you are coming from on this, Bill.

But a properly permitted problem lion hunt in Namibia cannot be "canned" in any way, shape or form.

An MET (that is, Ministry of Environment and Tourism) permit, issued by the Minister himself, must be issued for the problem animal - and not just any animal, but THE problem animal.

In my case, our hunt was monitored by the head game warden of Etosha, at every step of the way.

Before we could even begin the hunt, Vaughan Fulton had to arrange for the permit to be faxed from Windhoek to the ranger station at Okaukuejo.

The week we spent tracking our lion was hard core hunting. He, his brother and the females and sub-adults with them, were as wild and wary as lions can be.

There are many other peculiarities involved in hunting Etosha problem lions. They are not readily understood or appreciated. I have written them down, and may publish them some day.

Apart from that, I cannot say.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hallgeir Gravrok:
quote:

Thats right, last time when I was hunting in Etosha Conservancy, we suddently got a permit to shoot a lion, that were exportable. We must hunt this lion on a very short notice, I did not hunt this lion because I were about to go home next morning, but another client shot a big male, on these permit.
Next year I`m going back and I have got the message that I have pri 1 when they get a permit.. And I will use it, thats for sure, I think it sems that it`s more strickt to get a import lisence to US than it`s to Norway, even if both countries are obligated by the CITES regulations.

And I hope that you will employ restraint if you only come across a 2-3 year old lion that is killing cattle and possibly educate the rancher on what has been learned on discussions on this forum. tu2

As Lane said, cattle are an easily renewable resource!

The main cause of livestock-lion conflict around Etosha is the sad state of the fence which in recent years has not been maintained due to poor management and lack of interest of the park's management. 12-15 years ago, when the fence was being maintained properly, there was no conflict!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see no reason to kill cubs thats for sure.
But it`s a pitty that the fence is in such bad condition as it is, I think Namibian government need some financial help so they can restore this fence, this will benefit everyone also the lion.
THe elefants had break thru the fence and the worthogs are digging holes under, so the lions have a lot of openings so they can get to the livestock.
But when I as a hunter get a offer to hunt I will partisipate in this hunt, but it must be a legal hunt where there is a lisence for the animals that will be hunted. Also PAC hunts

Here in Norway the farmers have some big problem with Wolves and bears who is attacking their livestock.
The Govenment give lisence to shoot some of this animals that causes problems, but this hunt is not for ordinary hunters, the County has sellected a couple of hunters that do this hunt, and the animal that is shot belongs to the government, In Norway we do not have any high fenced areas, just low fenced as borderlines between properties.
The government also give some lisences to hunt wolves and bears, and everytime such animal is shot, it`s a lot of noice from the non hunting puplic.
So the problems in Namibia with the lions and ours problems in Norway with predators are simulare, actually the same matters.
This problem will not be over in the near future, I`m sorry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bwanamich:
And I hope that you will employ restraint if you only come across a 2-3 year old lion that is killing cattle and possibly educate the rancher on what has been learned on discussions on this forum. tu2

QUOTE]

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the Etosha fence, even when perfectly maintained, cannot stop a lion (much less larger game) from escaping.

It is merely a few strands of wire strung between fenceposts, and is an easy thing to slip through.

Etosha covers a vast territory. I can't imagine what it would cost to erect an effective fence - if there is such a thing. Etosha's game includes giraffe and elephant, don't forget.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, the Etosha fence, even when perfectly maintained, cannot stop a lion (much less larger game) from escaping.

It is merely a few strands of wire strung between fenceposts, and is an easy thing to slip through.

Etosha covers a vast territory. I can't imagine what it would cost to erect an effective fence - if there is such a thing. Etosha's game includes giraffe and elephant, don't forget.

Mike, spot-on!

No fence, no matter how good, will keep a lion from the other side, if that's where he wants to go. Much less an elephant! I have personally watched with my own two eyes, a lioness go right through the Kruger Park border fence. And we came upon a fresh break in the fence, by the tracks, it looked like lions had run a buffalo right through it!

According to the ranger at the Kalserie, the lions go through the fence, all the time. Not over it, not under it, right through it. He also had some great pics of big maned lions on his laptop, just sayin.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
Originally posted by Hallgeir Gravrok:
quote:

The main cause of livestock-lion conflict around Etosha is the sad state of the fence which in recent years has not been maintained due to poor management and lack of interest of the park's management. 12-15 years ago, when the fence was being maintained properly, there was no conflict!

do you really think the Namibian government is going to continue to reimburse a rancher for cattle killed for the 3-4 years it takes for a 2-3 year old lion to become a hunting trophy or to go to the expense of sending game rangers to dart him and take him back to Etosha- were he will be driven out again? just can't see it. bottom line is that when a lion goes through the "fence" and starts killing livestock- HE IS A DEAD LION ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. I DON'T LIKE IT BUT MY LIKES AND DISLIKES WON'T CHANGE FACTS.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the fence I saw back in '05 was over 12 ft high with chain link fence...............whilst hunting for a pac lion following a call from a farmer friend of his (we did not connect but the farmer shot a lioness the night before we arrived out of a pride of 3) my good friend and ph explained that when Etosha was well managed, the fence was patrolled daily and repaired constantly. He attributed the reason for the lions moving out of the park for a large part due to the fact that the numerous man made waterholes in the park were running dry due to lack of maintenance to the pumping stations which caused prey animals and the lions to be drawn towards the ranches in search of water and grazing for the herbivores. Once in the vicinity of these, the smell and bellowing of cattle was the final enticement for the large cats to break through the fence and kill livestock. Both the farm we visited and the neighbouring Heroe farm had the same kind of fence I described along the park boundary..........

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich, I'll bet you were in the south. The fences in the north are fences in name only.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure where you are coming from on this, Bill. But a properly permitted problem lion hunt in Namibia cannot be "canned" in any way, shape or form. An MET (that is, Ministry of Environment and Tourism) permit, issued by the Minister himself, must be issued for the problem animal - and not just any animal, but THE problem animal. In my case, our hunt was monitored by the head game warden of Etosha, at every step of the way. Before we could even begin the hunt, Vaughan Fulton had to arrange for the permit to be faxed from Windhoek to the ranger station at Okaukuejo. The week we spent tracking our lion was hard core hunting. He, his brother and the females and sub-adults with them, were as wild and wary as lions can be. There are many other peculiarities involved in hunting Etosha problem lions. They are not readily understood or appreciated. I have written them down, and may publish them some day. Apart from that, I cannot say.

Hi Mike:

My point was that there was a time when canned lion hunts definitely were conducted in Namibia, and some of those outfitters are still in business. I have no reason to believe they still are staging "hunts," though.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I see what you mean. I have likewise not seen or heard of any Namibian canned hunts in recent years.

My sense is that these canned lion hunts are a South African scam these days, no matter where they happen.

Or what's worse, they're eyes-wide-shut deals struck by the hunters, and not scams at all.

Why people do such things is utterly beyond me.

Yet, having said that, I will add that problem animal hunting is not hunting. It's something else. Not necessarily better and not necessarily worse, but something else entirely.

Thanks.

Mike