Notify
Tools

Boiled African Rats Anyone?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I love the look on that kid's face.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TIA-This is Africa

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delicious

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No thanks, I prefer them roasted not boiled Eeker

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
I'll pass. I had boiled rats for breakfast and hate to have too much of a good thing.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine without the fur still on.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
What's the trophy fee on one of those?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Geez!! I hope that green-colored stick he used to boil those suckers isn't covered with lead-based paint!

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Trophy fees are only paid after the rat is in your possession and is based upon a sliding scale: i.e. trophy fee being determined by measuring the length from nose to tail, although another way that has been used to determine the trophy fee is the boiled skull measurement. However, that often takes too long, and sometimes the fee is never paid as the hunter/consumer skips out after taking and eating the trophy and before the boiled skull measurements are available/finished. Big Grin I think that the kid in the picture is worried (Look on face) Roll Eyes because two of the rats in the picture are definitely not legal size. Mad And yes, I too, prefer them roasted over open coals. SmilerI see them quite often at my local chinese restaurant! dancing

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Those must be the famous pygmy rats of Bangewy.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19318 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think I saw them offered on the dollar menu at the local Mickey D's.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trophy fees are only paid after the rat is in your possession and is based upon a sliding scale: i.e. trophy fee being determined by measuring the length from nose to tail, although another way that has been used to determine the trophy fee is the boiled skull measurement.

Unscrupulous PHs have been known to "stretch the pegs" to boost the fragile ego of the Dangerous Rodent hunter. Ethical hunters won't even dream of bragging until the 60-day drying out period and they can present accurate skull measurements.

Note: This e-mail written by a so-called adult who, in his college days, used to shoot wax bullets propelled by a primer out of his .357 Mag to kill cockroaches in his trailer. BTW - the wax bullets will penetrate walls if cold enough Wink

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boiled African Rats Anyone?

Couldn't be any worse than the monkeys offered up in the Philippines. But I draw the line at that Filipino delicacy, the balut.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zambeziman
posted Hide Post
Excellent shot!

John

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF THEY CATCH ON HERE, I CAN CATCH, TRAP OR SHOOT ENOUGH TO PAY FOR A REALLY GOOD SAFARI!!!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Think I will go back to the oyster thread...

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Balut is great.... 16-17day ones are the best!

I like the bigger rats without fur done thai style like in northern thailand ! mmmm

damn i'll eat anything I'm chinese Smiler

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapmonkey:
Balut is great.... 16-17day ones are the best!

You must have lost your gag reflex? yuck

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like the bigger rats without fur done thai style like in northern thailand ! mmmm

The fur holds more dipping sauce...

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had them barbecued in Belize. Without the hair of course, but it really wasn't that bad.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen African guys put them on sticks, put them in the fire and eat them. You could here them crunching them.

Not me though. I would not touch them.

Posts: 11987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have seen African guys put them on sticks, put them in the fire and eat them. You could here them crunching them.

Skewer them from head to tail on a stick and you can conveniently burn the fur off before eating. I've done it with bats.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Only will and can eat them in the 'Year of the RAT" stir

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I am not that hungry...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Eat them whole? That's bloody insane. A full mount is the only way to do justice to those bad boys, in a full frontal scurry.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Probably better than some of the 'processed' food we eat every day and think nothing of! Cheap hotdogs and slim jims come to mind. I've had some chinese food that was of very questionable origin.

Gimme a couple (good!) beers along with a double-dog-dare and I'd try the boiled rats. Back when I was rushing a college fraternity I ate dog and cat food (Rival is better than Puss 'n Boots)

If it don't kill you it only makes you stronger!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
Would my 45-70 be an adequate caliber for collecting said delicacy??

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote