New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boot suggestions for Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since we have a good clothing suggestion thread, how about boots? I'm planning a trip myself, and am debating boots as well as all the other stuff. Have been looking at the Russells, but don't have any prior experience. Most of the average American boots have a really hard sole, but Russell has many options, since they are custom boots. Also heard of some PH boots that are made in Africa, but don't know the name or where to find them. What's everybody else wearing?

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing special - just about what i wear everyday believe it or not you really don't need to go over to cabellas and spent a thousand dollars on gear and clothes, jeans, tee shirts (but not in fly country) and the like work just as well there as here. I think I just commited blasphemy sofa

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
On two safaris I've yet to find a situation where boots are really needed to the degree that they might when hunting in the USA. I've taken some Courtney's on both my trips, but have found these shoes to be my favorites on both hunts. PH's frequently wear shoes with less covering of your foot that even these offer, such as the sandal type things you might see a hiker wear.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's basically what I suspected. I was thinking about just a good pair of hiking boots, maybe Vasque or something similar, maybe Merrell. And then something like yours Spring. Maybe a walking or "lite Hiker"/"trail running" shoe as a backup/camp shoe.

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been there twice so far, and I think that too many people put too much emphasis on what to wear...me included!
Wear whatever cloathing is comfortable, and walking is walking wherever you are, so take what feels best.
By the way, I think that alot of PH's snicker when we show up in "safari cloathes" especially the silly hat's!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it depends where you'll be hunting. When I hunted in Kwa Zulu Natal we would start at the bottom of mountain and climb up or start at the top and climb down. I wore a pair of 10 inch Rocky Outbacks and I'm really glad I did for the ankle support, I wish the had a more aggressive tread though, some of the steeper slopes I was getting plenty of "slippage". I had a pair of Meindl Hiking boots and never even considered using them because there just would not have been enough ankle support.
Now having said all that, our tracker, Richard, wore a pair of cut off rubber boots with no socks! I was in pretty good shape and couldn't even come close to keeping up with him. I'd check with your PH and see if there will be any mountainous hiking. Good luck and have fun! Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have made 8 safaris to Zimbabwe and always wear Russel Sheephunters with a gro-cord sole. I like them but know an awful lot of people on here don't. They fit me and are comfortable, but I don't wear sneakers or sandals here at home this is the only pair of boots I've had for years. Only thing I would change is to replace the soles with air-bob's I believe they are called, but the GroCords won't wear out. These are high boots but I find the protection excellant. Only down side if there is one is they are warm in hot weather.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
x2mosg,
You mentioned Vasque. They do make a good boots; that's what my son likes to wear when there since they give better ankle support than some Russell PH's I bought him 2 years ago. In TZ and Zim, however, those walking shoes I linked earlier seem ideal for me and I plan to wear them again on my next trip.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer 8" boots for the ankle support. I wear the same boot here when the weather is warm. They are old Rockeys that they don't make any more. As to silly things the PHs think is also our obsession with rifles that shoot less than MOA at 100 yds.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read alot of suggestions that you need softer soles to be quieter when stalking. Some of the PH's hate to see a real "mountain boot" unpacked.

By the way this will be my first trip, and it will be to South Africa. I feel it best to get my feet wet on PG and that maybe SA is easiest travel for a rooky.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've worn a lot of boots in Africa, but my favorite are my Courtney Selous'.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I really like these if it's going to be hot and dry.

http://www.botac.com/lotafosedept.html

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I walked right out of a new pair of Russells in Zim five years ago. The PH said it was the second time he'd seen this with Russells. The stitching failed.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be heading to Zim for a buffalo hunt this July and decided that I needed an additional pair of boots to go with the Courteney "Safaris" that I already owned and have used before. I liked the idea of the military desert style boots but most are too tall and heavy for my taste.

I then found the Converse Desert Foot Pursuits. These are app. 8" and weigh about the same as most mid height athletic shoes. The construction seems very good and the are, so far, very comfortable. I wanted a little more ankle support than the Russell PH series.

I bought my pair from www.desert-gear.com The price and service was good.

If you need gaiters check out www.boytharness.com They have a good canvas model.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I went to R.E.I. and found some lightweight Keene hiking shoes that are above the ankle and do not have a cleat type sole. They were very comfortable, quiet and light. Our first day in TZ we went on a 12+ mile hike and I was bushed, but my feet were fine. They have held up well and cost $100.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lee,

Were they the same as the one's you were wearing on Saturday? If so, you felt that they held up well?

Mike

P.S. Gander Mountain has the shoes like you were wearing on Saturday on sale for $59.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Yeah Mike, they are the same. They have become my "gun show" shoes as well. Walking the concrete for hours would tear my feet up, the Keenes really help. Bob liked them enough to buy a pair also. For $59, I will buy another pair from GM.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I thought they looked very comfortable. I swung by GM on Sunday. They had two pairs of 10's and I bought them both. They were regularly $99, on sale for $59. I looked at the Keen website and did not see them. They may be a discontinued item. They are very comfortable, my only concern was their durability.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
I will be heading to Zim for a buffalo hunt this July and decided that I needed an additional pair of boots to go with the Courteney "Safaris" that I already owned and have used before. I liked the idea of the military desert style boots but most are too tall and heavy for my taste.

I then found the Converse Desert Foot Pursuits. These are app. 8" and weigh about the same as most mid height athletic shoes. The construction seems very good and the are, so far, very comfortable. I wanted a little more ankle support than the Russell PH series.

I bought my pair from www.desert-gear.com The price and service was good.

If you need gaiters check out www.boytharness.com They have a good canvas model.

RCG

x2

The Converse boots that RCG linked are great.

The other boot that is ALWAYS comfortable and quiet is the Lowa Seeker, it's an 8 inch desert style, and very quiet. good ankle support and protection from some snake bites...............

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two cents worth

Don't get boots with a gortex tounge or other soft padded area anywhere on the front. In many parts of Africa you encounter spear grass which works it's way into these soft materials and they have to be cut out. Had several clients who have simply cut the tounge out of their boots to be able to continue hunting.

Otherwise- It really doesn't matter- Many of my mates wear "rafter" type sandals. I always used to wear the canvas "hockey" boots we were issued. Thin rubber sole and canvas uppers. They were great for most areas, particularly during the rainy season. Walk through rivers and they would drain and dry themsevles. On broken rocky terain like we get at Tuli they simply tore appart!

These days I generally wear low cut Courteney boots with gaiters

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Stupid question, but where do you get the gaiters for Africa? Sure don't want to wear knee high snow gaiters!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I've worn a lot of boots in Africa, but my favorite are my Courtney Selous'.

Amen, Amen, Amen to that. I wear Courteney Safari's every day. It is the only boot I know of you can buy today and wear on safari tomorrow - with the right socks. Fits me like a glove, fantastic footwear. Made from all kinds of gameskin such as Buffalo, Impala and Giraffe.

They have distributors all over the world ... have a look at http://www.courteneyboot.com

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot guys. Lots of help. I like the looks of the Courteneys, but I have wide feet and I'm afraid they won't fit me. Example: Danners in wide width are snug on me in proper length. One reason I was considering Russell's, but they may not hold up well enough.

Thanks,

David

P.S. Keep it coming

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Meindl desert .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...in the 110 heat I wore "Tevas", when cold front with rains arived I put on Amazon 4 and they worked great (they are light, soft and comfortable - would fit wide feet great)

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x2mosg:
... I have wide feet and I'm afraid they won't fit me. ...

Not to worry! We are a few guys with wide feet. We all prefer Courteneys - partly for how it fits our wide feet. My PH's love them and work with these shoes for months at a time in all conditions - wet, dry, hot and cool. Just treat them well and they'll treat you better in return.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a triple E width and the Courteney boots are fine. They are tougher to fit a narrow foot than a wide one. You can buy them in Zim for a very good price. Buy them there and use them a couple hours at a time in the evening and in a few days they will be like slippers.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have wide feet and have found the Courtney boots to be my favorites. They are available in the U.S. @ Westley Richards. They are made in Bulawayo Zim. and are available in Fazak's in that city. Zuka safaris also carry them in their office near the Sea Cliff in Dar Es Salaam Tanzania. You will find them in most any city in southern Africa and the price will be cheaper than here.
They are available in a variety of skins and styles including elephant which cannot be sold in the U. S. they remind me of Africa every time I see them or wear them which is often.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you ever worn knee high snake boots on safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wore a pair of 10 inch Rocky Outbacks and I'm really glad I did for the ankle support, I wish the had a more aggressive tread though, some of the steeper slopes I was getting plenty of "slippage".

Same here. Very comfortable for flat terrain, took a while to break in... "squeaky" sounding too.

quote:
Stupid question, but where do you get the gaiters for Africa? Sure don't want to wear knee high snow gaiters!

If you wear lace-up boots, the best gaiters are the Buckwing neoprene tick gaiters. Very inexpensive and will keep your laces from snagging and untying.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:

If you scroll up there is a link to Boyt Harness where I got mine.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The canvas gaitors made by Boyt (Cost is approx. $11-12 pair) is the way to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ahve always used whatever brand of 8 or 10" boot I had at the time and no complaint.

I don't like Courtney's at all. I had two pair made out of skin from the 2001 hunt and they are the most uncomfortable boots I have ever wore. Why I don't know. The wife got a couple pairs of of other styles and she really likes them

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which Courteney style did you have made that were uncomfortable? I have both the Selous and the Vortrekker style boots and they are amazingly comfortable, durable and great boots. I have been through thick and thin with them. Sorry to hear about your experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought a pair of Courtneys in Botswana on Monday,{no idea what model,only had 1 pair in my size so I took them}Took them off yesterday when I got back,bloody marvelous.Only AUD$120,ABSOLUTE BARGAIN.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rogue boots and gaiters. I wore a pair of running shoes once when huntinh zebra and had a thorn pierce through the sole.

I guess it depends where you hunt but if it´s in dry, thorny, bush I´d wear adequate shoes.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Without getting into specific brands, generically you are looking for something between Nike hightops and work boots.

The only other point is make sure they are well broken in prior to heading out on safari.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general, one's choice in footwear is very personal. My current favorite field boots are Crockett & Jones' Chelsea 5 with their rubber Dainite sole. They are a bit pricey, but are very well made and the last fits like it was custom-made for me. The company makes lace-up field boots as well.

Crockett & Jones Chelsea 5

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WPN:
In general, one's choice in footwear is very personal. My current favorite field boots are Crockett & Jones' Chelsea 5 with their rubber Dainite sole. They are a bit pricey, but are very well made and the last fits like it was custom-made for me. The company makes lace-up field boots as well.

Very similar to R M Williams' boots from Australia.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite right. RM Williams makes excellent field boots as well. I vastly prefer a hard vamp boot for the protection they afford to the moccasin types (such as the Courtneys) that are very popular, but as I said, it's a very personal choice.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote