THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Question For Saeed and Others Who Hunt Buffalo With .375
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question For Saeed and Others Who Hunt Buffalo With .375
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I got some good advice one time in a conversation with an old hand PH. As long as the buffalo is on his feet, keep shooting! I lost a buffalo I thought was properly shot in the shoulder. We saw dust fly and can only assume the bullet veered forward into the brisket area. That cost me about $1500 and a day and a half wasted looking for him. I sure wish I had shot him twice. I was using a 375 by the way.

Hard lesson, but at least you learned it. Now if others can only learn it without paying the price....................

People aren't shy about paying the insurance when he's down, but they'd get a better rate when he's still up. It's not just the slim chance of someone getting hurt, there's the much higher chance of losing the animal.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Our bullets penetrate from the tail to the neck.
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
That is what happens when you put enough speed on a MONO SOFT . No flies on those things. dancing

Hi Gerard,

Did you intend to type mono SOFT above?
I thought your, and the other best mono SOLIDS
would manifest this "Tail to the Neck" penetration trek???
If the SOFTS do it, the SOLIDS from these superior
bullet sources ought NEVER be used on buffalo it would
appear. An bullet that exits the game is never wanted,
is it?
Confused

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DR Hunter,

I intended to say soft. That is why we also reccommend solids for elephant only and for special applications where a solid is indicated. GSC goes from the point of view that, if a cartridge and bullet combination does not exit the animal on a broadside shot, it is inadequate for that animal.

If the combination does not exit on broadside shots, it is impossible to take a straight going away and reaching the heart/lung area. Sometimes that has to be done.

Solids are another matter. GSC solids are firstly designed to give straight, deep penetration. Using solids on a small target like a broadside cape buffalo guarantees an exit hole.

The fortunate thing about GSC softs and solids is that linear penetration is a given, if our twist recommendation is followed. One can predict where the exit hole will be and allow for it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
And to add to the confusion.

I personally shot 2 rounds from the 375/404 into a zebra.

He was lying down dead. We just wanted to see what happens.

Same load, two different bullets.

One was the original Barnes X, and was a Barnes Super Solid. This one is a round nose brass solid.

Both bullets penetrated to the neck of the zebra!!

And talking of Barnes Super Solids.

I recovered a 416 caliber bullet from an elephant I shot.

The bullet was slightly bent from a brain shot.

I turned that bullet down on the lathe to 375 caliber, and shot another elephant with it.

It went straight through on a side brain shot.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I like to kill an animal without him knowing my presence, if at all possible.

That I prefer too. That´s why 1-2 Hunters on the same hunt in the field is enough. 3 persons or more is crowded.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the combination does not exit on broadside shots, it is impossible to take a straight going away and reaching the heart/lung area.

The purposely intended shot from behind is not to seek the heart/lung area but to either "spine" or break the hip area and anchoring the animal; to gain that opportunity for placing a final killing shot.

Even if the bullet makes the journey to the heart/lung area from a rear-end shot it is more luck than calculation as there are too many variables involved for the trajectory to be maintained.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even if the bullet makes the journey to the heart/lung area from a rear-end shot it is more luck than calculation as there are too many variables involved for the trajectory to be maintained.

That may have been the situation in the past. It is no longer the situation now. That is why GSC makes very specific recommendations and those who follow the recommendations have success.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
quote:

That may have been the situation in the past. It is no longer the situation now. That is why GSC makes very specific recommendations and those who follow the recommendations have success.

I guess that's why its called a "Texas Heart Shot" animal

I will however continue in believing in the real purpose of the departing rear-end shot, GSC notwithstanding. coffee