New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Proper Buffalo Rifle In Action!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw that clip earlier today and liked it.Where in the buff did the bullet travel?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, of course it would- as you well know- if you would put the bullet in the same place.

Not that the .700 would do it any better- like field dress it at the shot as well... Wink

Posts: 10794 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin tu2 tu2 tu2

Totally awesome

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since when does a single frontal chest shot make a cape buffalo drop like a sack of turnips falling off the truck?

When the bullet rips through the heart and/or great vessels and also disrupts the spinal cord?
Or was it one of those mythical bullet-induced strokes when the full heart or aorta in systole jackhammers the brain?

Good shooting for sure.
Maybe a Dakota 76 African rifle with a 26"-long Lilja #6 contour, stainless, fluted barrel, in a synthetic stock is such a well balanced piece,
that it just aims itself like a magic wand, until Saeed pulls the trigger?

Maybe the .375/404J with 300-grain Walterhog is an adequate cape buffalo rifle?

Only 9 pounds empty, scoped rifle weight?
Saeed is mighty handy with it.
Captain obvious.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Saeed, of course it would- as you well know- if you would put the bullet in the same place.

Not that the .700 would do it any better- like field dress it at the shot as well... Wink

This is the first of the pair

No way would anyone shooting a 700 Nitro Express double be able to make two quick shots at two bulls over a 100 yards away with open sights and get these results.

Using the lowly, minimum caliber 375 has its advantages.

Both bulls were stone dead by the time we got to them.

No Mark Sullivan Bullshit here rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of pair was a high spine shot, above shoulders.
Saeed almost missed that one.
The buffalo was moving downhill when shot and almost dodged the bullet.
Human error, yet Saeed still pulled it off.
Saeed is good, but luck on top of good is even better.
Saeed has a habit of making his own luck in this sort of situation.
tu2
Rip.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Lema, our truck driver, and me play a game together.

Each time I get out of the truck, I ask him to pick a round from my ammo belt, to chamber into the rifle.

"What are we going to shoot now?" I asked him.

"Buffalo!" he says, and picks a particular round for me.

He has been very good at picking particularly guided bullets.

They never fail! clap

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Saeed it only takes three letters to summarize those two shots: DRT : Dead Right There. Impressive shooting

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1385 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Great shooting,how fast were the bullets traveling?I am assuming these were your own bullets? were you shooting off sticks?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think these were going about 2750 fps and yes I was shooting off the sticks.

We saw the tracks of this herd early in the morning, and followed them.

We caught up with them before the hit a thicket.

We ran ahead and just managed to see them going down a hill towards the forest.

It was on this hill that Roy found a whole stack of empty brass and some unaired rounds from World War I.

We named this hill BATTLE HILL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing!!.

Are you sure its not a .700Nitro?...

I think buffalohunting could become addictive…

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done. Thanks for sharing the videos.

Posts: 112 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed. Good shooting. Thanks for sharing. Brian

( PS, Saeed Thant's just the same as I do it on the farm, only on the farm it's not so blurry!..Just kidding!)

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

This is the first of the pair

No way would anyone shooting a 700 Nitro Express double be able to make two quick shots at two bulls over a 100 yards away with open sights and get these results.

Using the lowly, minimum caliber 375 has its advantages.

Both bulls were stone dead by the time we got to them.

No Mark Sullivan Bullshit here rotflmo

Not quite fair to change the situation there! Big Grin

Yes, a controllable second shot makes a difference for getting the second buffalo! Anything from 9.3 on up would work. I like the .416’s a little better on buffalo- it just gives me more confidence. Heck, why do you insist on beating your self up more by using more than a 300 at 2500 (the H&H level)?

A Barnes TSX 300 grain bullet has never failed me on buffalo (but then neither has a TBBC, an A Frame, a Northfork cup point or flat point solid, a Barnes solid, or a Trophy bonded solid in .375, .416,or .470)

The only bullets I’ve had issues with are Nosler Ballistic tips and Berger hunting bullets, and those worked, I just didn’t like the lack of penetration and excessive violent expansion.

Posts: 10794 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was on this hill that Roy found a whole stack of empty brass and some unaired rounds from World War I.

2750 is perfect,I load to that speed with 250 gr TSX's for my 338 Lapua,kills like a hammer,shot a fair amount of bigger game with it.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang! That's impressive. Good shootin'. beer

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I also believe they were both spined. Great shooting.

Posts: 2330 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both looked like spine shots. Nice shooting!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Okay, know this is a dumb question, but were those shots made with the .375/.404 JS?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Okay, know this is a dumb question, but were those shots made with the .375/.404 JS?

I have no idea what a 375/404 JS is.

But they were made by the original 375/404.

Built right here.

In the same workshop where we make our own Walterhog bullets - which we have been using for years.

A most deadly combination on any animal that walks this earth!

If teh scientists manage to create Tyrannosaurus Rex, I will try this combination on his too! clap

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Good shooting. I think a 30'06 would get similar results as both are spine shots IMHO.

In the last 9 years that I have been watching Saeed's safari videos I notice that he takes quite a few neck and spine shots. I guess the experience with killing 300+ buffalo helps! Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fantastic shooting. That rifle is a killing machine tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good shooting. I think a 30'06 would get similar results as both are spine shots IMHO.

If you are familiar with a Buffalo's anatomy you can take one out with even smaller calibers; my favourite was the 7 Rem Mag.

The only real reason behind the legal requirement of larger bore for DG is a larger hole for a reason, no more no less.

Posts: 1936 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
If you will remember, when you first came out with the project some on here commented that it should be called the .375/,404 Jeffery-Saeed!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a 375 H&H, Win mod 70 in Africa last month for the first time.It was offhand at the sighting in range.I was surprised to find how easy it was to shoot.The trigger was light and easy to let off.A light trigger does wonders.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, too lucky shots in a row! :-)

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buffalo and great neck/spine junction shot (on first buffalo)!

I couldn't get the second buff/shot on my computer.

Of course, Mark Sullivan would have charged the buffalo to get it to charge him and then dropped the buff at about 6 feet with a perfect brain shot with his 600 NE.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We were driving along one morning, when we saw an old duggaboy running into the forest.

We ran after him, as he has been evading us for quite some time this one.

We saw him stand looking back at us in the bush as Alan put the shooting sticks up.

In fact, I could only see part of him, and was not sure which way he was facing.

Alan said he was facing to the right, and I aimed accordingly and pulled the trigger.

The bull seems to have started running just as I was pulling the trigger.

I was worried about my shot, as I mentioned this to Alan.

We went to have a look.

For the first few yards, there was no blood - and frankly, I was a bit relieved, as I really did not want to start the day chasing a marginally wounded buffalo.

A few yards further, and there was a few drops of blood!

Now I started to really get worried.

A few yards further, and there was a lot of blood!

Now we were all smiles, as with that much blood, he is not going to be very far.

A few yards further, and Robert, our head tracker, spots the bull on the ground, dead!

This started a discussion between me and Roy.

We thought if I was using a slow moving caliber with a lethargic bullet speed we might not have gotten our buffalo clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

When are you buying a double, Saeed?

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Big Grin

Never mate, never!

I will leave hunting with doubles to those living in Bedrock! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Big Grin

Never mate, never!

I will leave hunting with doubles to those living in Bedrock! rotflmo

Somehow, I didn't think you would be. Big Grin

tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
When I go hunting I like to hunt.

I don’t go to pretend I am living a hundred years ago!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin tu2

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
That rifle puts them down with authority. Of course, shot placement matters a lot too.

Saeed, just curious. Have you ever had to stop a charge with that rifle?Thank you.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobinOLocksley:
That rifle puts them down with authority. Of course, shot placement matters a lot too.

Saeed, just curious. Have you ever had to stop a charge with that rifle?Thank you.

No

The buffalo we shoot do not charge!

They die!

Mark Sullivan’s buffalo, shot with a 600 Nitro Express, charge rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The buffalo we shoot do not charge!

They die!

tu2 Priceless ! rotflmo

As to the MS comment my thoughts exactly ! and i'm sure on the minds of everyone who have ever hunted buffalo.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

In the last 9 years that I have been watching Saeed's safari videos I notice that he takes quite a few neck and spine shots. I guess the experience with killing 300+ buffalo helps! Wink

It all depends on the animal, and how far it is.

Not just buffalo.

This year we were following a herd of buffalo, when we suddenly came up on a herd of eland.

They were not in a very good position, visibility wise - they were into the sun, and in a lot of brush.

The only thing I could see of the bull was his neck.

But an eland is a big animal, and they were just over 100 yards.

So it was a neck shot or nothing.

You can see the video up on my hunt report.