New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hippo Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
416 Rem. Would you use solids only or maybe a 400 grain X for the first or subsequent shots? Any experience here is welcome to chime in, especially what your PH reccomended.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Solids! Solids! Solids! You wouldn't believe how thick hippo skin is. Approximately 2". It is much thicker than elephant or anything else. I'm not sure what would happen to an Barnes X, but I wouldn't risk it.

Your first shot may be the only one you get. If they are on land and you don't drop it with your first shot, they are heading to the water. Secondly, they don't bluff charge. If they are coming, your bullets are the only thing that will stop them. So you don't want to just piss them off. You want to hurt them real bad. The only thing that will guarantee that is a well placed shot from your 416 with a quality solid.

Oh, I forgot. Thier skull is very thick and their brain is very small. A well placed head shot will save a bunch of trouble.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Solids.....Also it's not the thickness of the skull that can be a problem, it's the angle of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I've killed 3 hippos in the water with brain shots. Even a good 30 cal. controlled expansion bullet will do the job under these conditions. This shot is really not difficult.

My understanding is that on land they are nearly bullet proof if you cannot brain them. Big solids all the way for body shots. As has been mentioned their skin is nearly 2" thick and tough as hell.

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I shot mine with a 375HH. First shot - 300G Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, then I put a box of Trophy Bonded Solids into him. When you shoot them in the water, you have a target about the size of a softball between the eyes and ears. I shot my first shot at about 65 yards and missed my target by about 4". He then started porposing and rolling, and my PH said to keep shooting until he stops moving. I did as I was told! Shot him in the side, the lungs, the ass, and back. Not pretty, but it worked. I'd rather be lucky than good anyday. Anyway, my face is all scratched up because the day before, I was treed by a black rhino, and I went charging through those wait a bit thorns like crap through a goose. That's a whole 'nuther story though....Jeff < !--color-->

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The trouble with hippo is that you can never really know in advance exactly how the hunt is going to unfold. Hippo are indeed dangerous game - grouchy, unpredictable, amazingly agile and fast on their feet, and, of course huge. Your hunt might end up resembling a quick and easy execution, but then again, it might not. If you get between a hippo and water, you'll likely have a charge on your hands, and if you do, you'll surely have your day in court. If a hippo bull initiates a charge, he will not bluff and he will not turn back, so you'll have to stop him. Pretend that there's no PH involved - it's just between you and that hippo. I always plan rifle and ammo selection according to that concept.......

I'd feel real good about using a .416 on hippo, but I would surely insist on 400 gr. solid bullet loads-only. Every PH I know personally advocates solids on hippo, and based on my limited experience hunting them (on dry ground), I think solids are absolutely the way to go.

AD

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

How fast were you running... Damn lucky you did not get goosed...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I shot mine in the head with a 375 Trophy bonded solid. One shot kill, recovered bullet was slightly bent but it did the job, must be some solid bone to bend a solid.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am shooting them in the water then a good 22-250 or 6 MM with a 10X scope would suit me...

On the ground between them and the water I would want my 470 loaded with flat nose Bridger solids...A 404 or 416 would be fine with the same bullets...you will get a charge if your between them and home base, and three strikes and your out...You will be shooting them in the mouth if they get too close!

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KevinNY,
I used a 375h&h Solid for my first hippo, this was on advise I got on this forum. I used factory ammo made by PMP in South Africa.And it was a one shot kill the brain is a very small target. I got myself the African hunter pocket shot placement guide it is a very handy book to have.
Do ask your PH to get the camp cook to serve you some of the meat it is very tender and tasty in my opinion.
Good luck

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone recommending a client to shoot hippo with anything smaller then a .375 hopefully is not a ph or an agent. The preferred shot would always be a brain shot and not knowing the distance and angle you will be involved with before the hunt these famous words should apply "the bigger the better, so long as you can shoot it well" IMO

Some countries have caliber restrictions for hunting hippo so be aware of them.

Happy hunting!

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote