New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had the best show ever. Thanks mainly to the big boy behind me I believe! I guess it depends on what you are selling and the flavor of the moment!

Arjun Reddy
Http://www.HuntersNetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
USA
Tel: 845 259 3628
Email: arjun@huntersnetworks.com

Posts: 2553 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My lord Arjun...what an Eland
and what a mount!
I could see that garnering great attention
Congrats on a great show

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks it was a real show stopper. Here is another angle of him.

Posts: 2553 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill, Flat tires are for youngsters. No grandchildren?
Best, Andrew

Andrew, my grandson is 27 and decided hunting wasn't for him after shooting a turkey at age 12 and discovering girls and music a couple of years later. My 33-year-old granddaughter would hunt, I think, but she lives and works in San Francisco a long way from our cabin in eastern Arizona.

I'll be 80 years old in eight months, and am sorry to say I've decided not to apply for an elk or deer tag this year. Dove shooting, at which I'm lousy, seems to be what I've been reduced to.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
SFRanger,

What was Dixie's honor? She's one of the best.

Gayne,

What is it about dropping DEF? I was not aware.

I was working Miles & Miles Outfitters (Argentina dove and big game). The dove hunts normally materialize later once the group coordinates with wives/bosses, etc. Plenty of interest.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun
That eland is magnificent, almost looks unreal.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
quote:
Bill, Flat tires are for youngsters. No grandchildren?
Best, Andrew

Andrew, my grandson is 27 and decided hunting wasn't for him after shooting a turkey at age 12 and discovering girls and music a couple of years later. My 33-year-old granddaughter would hunt, I think, but she lives and works in San Francisco a long way from our cabin in eastern Arizona.

I'll be 80 years old in eight months, and am sorry to say I've decided not to apply for an elk or deer tag this year. Dove shooting, at which I'm lousy, seems to be what I've been reduced to.

Bill Quimby

Bill, I will send over one of my trackers for the season.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

Such great animal! Yours ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
It was our first show to set up our knives at. We sold every thing but the one piece. Some people got sticker shock and some were fine with it. Many people seemed as they appreciated the work shown which was good. The sales were better than we expected for a first time we will be back next year.

In our opinion it was a better educated crowd about knives than a few others that we attended as a first time. It seemed that many knew exactly what they were looking for and at. Regardless if you are hunting, fishing or cutting your daily bread everyone must have a knife.

As a vendor the loading back up was a booger but we learned on that too. I enjoyed meeting a few of you face to face so thank you for dropping by. I could not get around the show like I normally do due to the amount of people that was looking and that had questions.
Some of the comments were funny such as the one guy that said the knives were too pretty to use, so I offered to make him an ugly one.
I was just kidding, I am not taking orders but it was still funny.
Thank you to the show staff they did a good job.

Jerry,

Glad you had a great show and you make great knives mate. tu2

I still miss Kelly Carlson. He made some beauties for me and he was a gentleman........

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember reading your hunt report.

What a magnificent animal tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

MAN! After seeing that eland, I thought about taking mine out in the back yard and burying it!

What a bull! diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MAN! After seeing that eland, I thought about taking mine out in the back yard and burying it!

mac
You crack me up.
That was a good one.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Gayne,

What is it about dropping DEF? I was not aware."

Marcus, you didn't hear about it because it didn't happen. DEF hasn't been dropped. DEF continues to exist and receive support from DSC.

I intend to start a new thread on the topic, but DSC formed the DSC Foundation to serve its complete mission and vision and core principles of DSC - conservation, education and hunter advocacy. DSC Foundation is going to continue to support the traditional causes supported by DSC, but will take a more aggressive, focused approach, with an eye towards reaching the right audience with the right message - no more, or certainly less, preaching to the choir.

If you follow DSC Foundation you will know exactly where donations go. You will know the projects the Foundation supports and you will see the results of the work done by those projects. We have agreed with Ivan Carter that 100% of donations made though his new show will go to the project designated by the donor. DSC Foundation will list the other projects it supports.

My message at the Convention at the evening banquets was this - the hunting community lives in a different world than we lived in 12 months ago - we saw the aftermath and fallout of the Cecil carnival, airlines adopt policy to refuse shipment of legally harvest animals, states and countries enact laws to circumvent CITES and bar the importation of legally harvest animals, etc. Anyone who thinks our way of life isn't under attack is oblivious.

We have to change our approach, our messenger, and even our message to reach those who may otherwise be swayed by media firestorms based on false information or outright lies, by social justice warriors and /or social media outlets who believe the ends justify the means and facts are irrelevant. We have to counter emotion driven argument with fact in a way that the general public can accept.

We read the complaints registered on AR and frankly, we agree with many of them. We have too often been reactive. We need to be proactive, and when we must react, we have to be better prepared. We have to begin to shape public opinion, and we have not done that or not done it well.

The Foundation is served by 5 directors including Karl Evans. Time will tell whether we are successful, but we're damn sure not going to sit back and fiddle while Rome burns.

Richard T. Cheatham

Posts: 72 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marcus, you didn't hear about it because it didn't happen

I'm not going to argue semantics...

Yes or No

In the forthcoming fiscal year, will DSC being providing DEF with the same yearly finical support as it has in the past?

Will DSC be providing DEF with office space after July?

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
and what a mount!
Congrats on a great show

My wife saw that Eland from about 10 booths away and said "we have to go get a close look at that"!

Show stopper for sure!

Speaking of bookings, I spoke with John Sharp and he seemed to indicate that Buffalo bookings were very low for the BVC. Lots of quota left for 2016.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarbe:
quote:
and what a mount!
Congrats on a great show

My wife saw that Eland from about 10 booths away and said "we have to go get a close look at that"!

Show stopper for sure!

Speaking of bookings, I spoke with John Sharp and he seemed to indicate that Buffalo bookings were very low for the BVC. Lots of quota left for 2016.

Tim

The all in buffalo hunt in Zim has gotten ridiculous expensive - it's has gone up 60 percent in last 5 years. Demand and supply are finally catching up.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard T. Cheatham:
"Gayne,

What is it about dropping DEF? I was not aware."

Marcus, you didn't hear about it because it didn't happen. DEF hasn't been dropped. DEF continues to exist and receive support from DSC.

I intend to start a new thread on the topic, but DSC formed the DSC Foundation to serve its complete mission and vision and core principles of DSC - conservation, education and hunter advocacy. DSC Foundation is going to continue to support the traditional causes supported by DSC, but will take a more aggressive, focused approach, with an eye towards reaching the right audience with the right message - no more, or certainly less, preaching to the choir.

If you follow DSC Foundation you will know exactly where donations go. You will know the projects the Foundation supports and you will see the results of the work done by those projects. We have agreed with Ivan Carter that 100% of donations made though his new show will go to the project designated by the donor. DSC Foundation will list the other projects it supports.

My message at the Convention at the evening banquets was this - the hunting community lives in a different world than we lived in 12 months ago - we saw the aftermath and fallout of the Cecil carnival, airlines adopt policy to refuse shipment of legally harvest animals, states and countries enact laws to circumvent CITES and bar the importation of legally harvest animals, etc. Anyone who thinks our way of life isn't under attack is oblivious.

We have to change our approach, our messenger, and even our message to reach those who may otherwise be swayed by media firestorms based on false information or outright lies, by social justice warriors and /or social media outlets who believe the ends justify the means and facts are irrelevant. We have to counter emotion driven argument with fact in a way that the general public can accept.

We read the complaints registered on AR and frankly, we agree with many of them. We have too often been reactive. We need to be proactive, and when we must react, we have to be better prepared. We have to begin to shape public opinion, and we have not done that or not done it well.

The Foundation is served by 5 directors including Karl Evans. Time will tell whether we are successful, but we're damn sure not going to sit back and fiddle while Rome burns.

A gentleman and a scholar. Thank you.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Slower than last year, no doubt.

I heard a little birdie say that an SCI "Authority" was present and said pre-registration for SCI attendance was down 50%.

Is that true? Only someone from SCI could confirm.

I have not seen the numbers, but it would not surprise me if DSC was down 50% as well.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:
and what a mount!
Congrats on a great show

Show stopper for sure!

Tim

The all in buffalo hunt in Zim has gotten ridiculous expensive - it's has gone up 60 percent in last 5 years. Demand and supply are finally catching up.

Mike

Correct, and there are several reasons for the surplus, but WITHOUT A DOUBT, the primary driver for the surplus in GREED. Buffalo Trophy fees are outrageous.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:
and what a mount!
Congrats on a great show

Show stopper for sure!

Tim

Mike

Correct, and there are several reasons for the surplus, but WITHOUT A DOUBT, the primary driver for the surplus in GREED. Buffalo Trophy fees are outrageous.

Prices in Zambia are looking more attractive.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Slower than last year, no doubt.

I heard a little birdie say that an SCI "Authority" was present and said pre-registration for SCI attendance was down 50%.

Is that true? Only someone from SCI could confirm.

I have not seen the numbers, but it would not surprise me if DSC was down 50% as well.

No idea is either is/was down. I would be surprised if DSC was down 50%. People are getting fed up with SCI. This might happen.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If areas are being depleted and there are no lion left,no shootable ele bulls,very few leopard,no plains game,more and more farmers moving into the area,new roads,...then bargain buffalo in South Africa is looking better and better.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Most operators that I have spoken to are banking on better results from SCI?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Besides the obvious........... prices are getting too high on some hunts, USFWS screwing everyone over, anti-hunting BS, shipping issues, firearms issues, poor economic performance globally, oil and gas cratering, older hunters starting to think about protecting the pension funds they have left...... there are TOO MANY shows.

Between, SCI, DSC, HSC, African Hunt Expo, Sheep, RMEF, Chapter Banquets, and the myriad of other hunting and shooting shows in every major city across the US and Canada...... heck you can spend all winter going to shows waiting for the right deal. Some cities see 3 or 4 big outdoors shows between December and April.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides the obvious........... prices are getting too high on some hunts, USFWS screwing everyone over, anti-hunting BS, shipping issues, firearms issues, poor economic performance globally, oil and gas cratering, older hunters starting to think about protecting the pension funds they have left...... there are TOO MANY shows.

No only that but a lot of outfitters are feeling the squeeze donation wise.
Every group wants a donation, every group's foundation wants a donation, every chapter wants a donation, every sub chapter wants a donation...And there's more chapters and sub chapters coming and with them more shows coming

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The show was good but it did seem that there were fewer people. Thursday and Sunday especially.

On a side note - can someone at DSC please do something about the exhibitor welcome dinner on Wednesday? This was the third year in a row that they ran out of all the meat dishes!! It would also be nice if they served for a while longer so that those who are socializing with others still get a chance to eat. The staff in that restaurant is always in an awful rush to shut up shop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it just depends on who you are, where you are, and what is attractive at the minute. I don't doubt that things are off some especially with all the other factors.

I did talk to one of the guys we are looking at yesterday morning. I asked him how DSC closed out and he said it was great and about the normal for him in 10 years of DSC. He said he only had one spot in 2016 and that was due to a move to 2017. He said by the time he follows up and makes the necessary moves on time etc that he will be right where he was this year and last.

So things swing around some in hunting like all business.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I just got home yesterday after driving from Dallas. I had a pretty good show for me but I must say there were not a lot of buffalo hunt inquiries in general although that last Buff special I posted is completely sold out so I think people are looking for a deal. People seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about hunts here Stateside but the specialty Africa stuff not so much. I'll be very interested in what SCI brings.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12926 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:

No only that but a lot of outfitters are feeling the squeeze donation wise.
Every group wants a donation, every group's foundation wants a donation, every chapter wants a donation, every sub chapter wants a donation...And there's more chapters and sub chapters coming and with them more shows coming

Funny you should mention this. I won one of the donation silent auctions, and have given the issue some deal of thought. I intend to add to the included bag in the hopes that the outfitter will feel the donation worth while and will continue to support the DSC.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone from Canada would have to be absolutely nuts or stinking rich to book a hunt in Africa right now....The dollar exchange is getting ridiculous....69Cents Canadian to $1 US...

It was only a couple years ago that we were pretty much par with the US dollar...I really don't understand how this happens so quickly..

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's called $30 oil

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I changed some Canadian dollars over to US about 10yrs ago especially in case a scenario like this reoccurs.I am glad I did.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector:
It's called $30 oil

Yeah, $30 WTI turns CAD into monopoly money.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the Canadian Dollar, I was surprised in Dallas to see that the Canadian hunting and fishing outfitters haven't adjusted their prices.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryce Dillabough:
Anyone from Canada would have to be absolutely nuts or stinking rich to book a hunt in Africa right now....The dollar exchange is getting ridiculous....69Cents Canadian to $1 US...

It was only a couple years ago that we were pretty much par with the US dollar...I really don't understand how this happens so quickly..

If you have Canadian employees you are loving it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote