New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skoal to RSA ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know I know. . . the stupid things we worry about. And spare me the lecture please Smiler

So internet research has shown that each person is allowed up to 250g of "pipe tobacco". My wife and I can each claim some, but I'll still be about 500g over the limit for duty free

Has anyone ever run across this? I can't find what the "duty" will be? Should I take receipts to show my cost, so I can argue that it's for "personal use" and not for sale?

Any experiences out there?

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought it with me on my way to Namibia in 2010. No problems, never got asked about it.

Posts: 332 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I quit, I've taken multiple rolls of Copenhagen to Africa with no problem. It gets a bit dry by the end of a safari though.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
If interested in quitting, not taking enough is a good way to do so. Well, it worked for a little bit... Then smoking took over, which was a bad idea.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Do NOT try quitting on your hunt. Jeez we have had guys almost every year try and quit smoking or chewing and they are grumpy people who affect others trips.

Quit in advance. Getter done. I did it. Chewed for years and one day when the price made me angry I just up and quit.

Still like chewing tobacco, but strangely I can use it now if someone offers me a pinch and enjoy it and that is it. I do not need it.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Good point. Smoking was an easy out.

They do say the snipers can't use tobacco, but Kyle sure did. To each his own, I suppose.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Before I quit, I've taken multiple rolls of Copenhagen to Africa with no problem. It gets a bit dry by the end of a safari though.

Me too. Never asked about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Do NOT try quitting on your hunt. Jeez we have had guys almost every year try and quit smoking or chewing and they are grumpy people who affect others trips.

Quit in advance. Getter done. I did it. Chewed for years and one day when the price made me angry I just up and quit.

Still like chewing tobacco, but strangely I can use it now if someone offers me a pinch and enjoy it and that is it. I do not need it.

+1

My partner still dip Copenhagen and I have a dip with him 2-3times per year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll stop worrying.

I quit for about a year after I got married almost 10 years ago. I didn't have any headaches or other physical manifestations of addiction. I didn't really crave it. Just missed the taste and action of it.

One of these days I'll quit it. But I really enjoy it tremendously.

Some people like a beer with or after dinner, wine, etc.

I like a good dip while watching the ball game, or driving, or hunting, etc.

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baker,

I hear you, but I'm a complete addict. I wish I could have a dip now and then. I do enjoy it. I just can't.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you run out you can always substitute dried elephant shit for Copenhagen. It should taste about the same.

Mix in a little mint and you've got Skoal. I've been off the chew for about 20 years. I've finally got to the point to where I can't even stand the thought of taking a dip. Unless I've had a couple of cocktails, then it seems like a right fine idea if it's available!!! I don't think the urge ever totally goes away.