New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where for Sable
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to have Sable included in my next trip, but I refuse to go to Zimbabwe. Can they be taken for a reasonable price elsewhere?

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Zambia, From what I gather we are slightly expensive but then we are the "REAL AFRICA"

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
What is a reasonable pric? the sable is a overprized peace of plains game nice but overpriced

Tanzania would be the place to go then

Happy hunting

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I should have taken a Sable when I was in Zambia in 2000. I just refuse to pay $5000 for any kind of antelope.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Shoot a waterbuck and a bufallo and spend the rest on G&T

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trophy fees for sable in Zambia average $3500.00 US.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Trophy fees for sable in Zambia average $3500.00 US.

This is consistent with what I've been quoted for my sable hunt in Zambia at the end of this month, plus a five-day minimum on daily rates.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric. Who are you hunting with and what area are you going to be in?

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hi Eric. Who are you hunting with and what area are you going to be in?

My PH in South Africa has partnered with Sable Safaris and they have a huge concession in Zambia. They've arranged to hunt my sable on a concession near Lusaka, but I don't know which one. I've been told that I can expect a trophy in the 40" range, which is just fine with me, and the price goes up another $1K for 42"+.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a good hunt and lots of pics. I am not going until OCT. It will be hot but hopefully I can pick up on the end of season leftovers.

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you, too, Mike!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slingster

Keep us posted. I'm jealous!! We'll be in Botswana starting Aug.1 - 28 chasing ele and leopard. Will you be back by then? Chase a sable my way! D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD,

To have a reasonable expectation of taking a sable on a short safari you pretty much have to hunt them on a ranch. Zambia has some facilities where you very likely could find a sable in the mid 40's quite easily.

If you don't want to hunt Zim and are willing to book a 15 day safari I can arrange something in Mozambique with Barry Duckworth. Daily fee $800, trophy fee for sable $2500. Of course buffalo, eland, kudu, hartebeest etc. are included on a trophy basis if you want them.

Hunts are conducted on a huge and very wild concession. Because it is so wild the game is not jumping all over but sable are quite abundant and you should pick up 8-10 animals in your 15 days.

Contact me if you need further info.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
If you do not mind hunting on ranch land in Zambia then the best deal I know of is the following.

SABLE PACKAGE: US $7,250 for 5 days hunting*
Includes trophy fees for 4 animals � Sable, Lichenstein Hartebeest, Puku or Bushbuck, Reedbuck or Impala. Also available at same farm to hunt are the following species � Duiker, Bushpig, Klipspringer, Puku, Reedbuck, Bushbuck US $450, Impala. Alternate farm may be hunted � a surcharge will apply.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"..... and the price goes up another $1K for 42"+."

Spend the extra k.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sable are, I believe, only availalbe on a 21-day license in Tanzania and at a daily rate of $1000-$1300 plus government fees that are $200+ per day + charter fees + trophy fees hunting sable in Tanzania is an expensive proposition.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam, That is the best deal going that I have found as well.
As long as one dosnt mind ranch hunting it is the best price out ther at the moment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam: That sounds like quite a deal. More info, please. PM if you like.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in zambia in 2000 you had to pay a 5500 dollar gma fee plus the trophy fee and hunt for 14 days to get sable. This was in mulobezi which is considered one of the best sable areas in africa. However no sable is worth that kind of money to me. I did see a honest 47 incher when I was there hunting buffalo. Of course he just stood there 80 yards from the cruiser as we took his picture which only happens when your not shooting them. I was told you can do a ranch hunt near Lusaka for much cheaper and no gma fees. So if you dont mind ranch hunting that is the way to go. Im going to try to wack one while on my buff hunt in zim as they are quite reasonable there and you cant shoot one if you cant afford one.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sable are, I believe, only availalbe on a 21-day license in Tanzania and at a daily rate of $1000-$1300 plus government fees that are $200+ per day + charter fees + trophy fees hunting sable in Tanzania is an expensive proposition.

True but you are automatically allowed to hunt both cats, 3 buffs, and another 15+ species......

That is one of the "problems" with Tanzania ; that you don't have some of the "key" species offered on shorter packages....You can either afford the whole shebang or not

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote