THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    For buffalo: what do you like more, Swift A-Frame or Barnes TSX?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For buffalo: what do you like more, Swift A-Frame or Barnes TSX?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have moved and my reloading equipment is still in a storage facility. So I have to purchase ammo. I was looking for Federal with Swift A-Frame bullets but cant’t find it, only Barnes TSX is available. 9,3x74R.

What do you guys prefer, A-Frame or TSX? Only in connection with buffalo.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The TSX will deliver, big time. I sent some 168 grain 30 caliber and some 270 grain 375 caliber TSXs to my PH in RSA a couple of years ago. His light rifle is a CZ550 in .308, and he told me in the last phone conversation I had with him week before last that he could use some more TSXs in 30 caliber. His exact words were "the TSX puts the .308 on a whole different level." The TSX is his preferred bullet in the .375 BRNO 602 as well. He shoots buffalo on control with the .375.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sunshine,

I've used both with good results but I think you'll be quite happy with the 286 TSX out of your 9.3x74.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a 9.3, but in .375 and .416 I’ve killed over a dozen buffalo with the TSX. To me, they are both great killers. Tho only issue I have with the TSX is shooting them in a SXS double rifle, and that’s me being worried about the regulation, not whether it will kill a buffalo well.

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed two buffalo, both with TSX. The first with a 375 and the second a 404. No complaints on either.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both. Dead buff.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
I have moved and my reloading equipment is still in a storage facility. So I have to purchase ammo. I was looking for Federal with Swift A-Frame bullets but cant’t find it, only Barnes TSX is available. 9,3x74R.

The answer to your question is yes. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used BARNES TSX on numerous Buffalo with great results in each case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swift, no contest. I'd never use a Barnes on a buffalo. Have had them divert off line. Fine on plains game. Not acceptable on buffalo.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I like both Bullets but have had TSx's not open properly on slower calibers ,like the 9.3 x 62 and x 74 R.

The other question is if any of the 2 will actually regulate in your double...

Great caliber the 9.3x74R .

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other question is if any of the 2 will actually regulate in your double...

Great caliber the 9.3x74R .

That won‘t be a problem ‘cause the rifle is a Krieghoff Classic...

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
both great bullets for buffalo

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
The Krieghoff is a tough gun,I have one in 500-416,I would not choose either of the bullets that we are discussing here for a DR,they are both great bullets,but they also generate a little more barrel strain than other makes of bullets,you can potentially damage the gun,in my DR's? I use Woodleigh's for softs & North Fork's for solids.

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
When Saeed put the Walterhog on the market then there will be no choice.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel in 9.3x74R and it shoots the 286gr Barnes TSX same as the Norma 286gr oryx ammo. I have yet to shoot a buffalo but none of the plains game to include eland have stopped that bullet. First shot on eland at 125yds broke both shoulders and exited. I shot him a second time, (because he did not go down and my policy is to keep shooting until the animal is in the dirt) and it exited as well. He was quartering towards me.

I have never had any beast survive a hit from a barnes tsx or ttsx and I have never had one not exit.

Others experiences may vary.

Safe travels and good shooting.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with the A-Frames for buff.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For your caliber, either will do.

Just like tossing a coin clap

If I was using a higher velocity caliber, I would choose the Barnes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used both.

I prefer TSX, but the A-Frame will do fine.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
When Saeed put the Walterhog on the market then there will be no choice.

I would love that in my 375HH. When is it coming Wink
Even though they are making it in a wildcat, hoping it will work in a 375 Smiler

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've only killed one buffalo and it was with a 300 gr TSX from my .375 RUM.

I liked the way TSX bullets performed in my .375 RUM so when I built my .300 Weatherby, the only hunting bullets that I've loaded for it are TSX and TTSX.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Frame.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a small mountain of buffalo mostly with the A Frame. Can’t go wrong with that bullet.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I use Barnes TSX bullets these days. They get the job done fast.

I have never used Swift bullets. Nothing against them; I've just never used them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I guess the relatively low velocity of the 9,3x74R might be a problem when using TSX. Or do they open up reliably? Maybe the A-Frame is the better bullet for 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Lapua produced the Naturalis in a heavier weight in 9.3 that would be my first choice....

For a buffalo I have seen some spectacular results with the TSX out of 375's. Not seen a Swift used; but in my experience they give the most penetration of a bonded lead cored bullet on other game.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I guess the relatively low velocity of the 9,3x74R might be a problem when using TSX. Or do they open up reliably? Maybe the A-Frame is the better bullet for 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R...

TSX should open up fine down to 1800 fps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have shot TSX bullets out of both these calibers. I could not get reliable consistent expansion for whatever reason.

I would not chance it.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
quote:
quote:

I have shot TSX bullets out of both these calibers. I could not get reliable consistent expansion for whatever reason.

I would not chance it.

killed several buffalo with tge 9.3 300grn Swift A Frames and they work perfectly.
the X bullets may work better with a little more vellocity as they sure work well on buff out of the 375

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have killed a small mountain of buffalo mostly with the A Frame. Can’t go wrong with that bullet.

Same here, but a mere pile of buffalo. I'm diligently working on the small mountain of buffalo.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the one that is more accurate, both will kill.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sunshine

see if you can get RWS TUG old style or the new name RWS 9,3x74 R UNI Classic 19,0g i first used in africa in a 9.3x 64 and had on 30 meter dramatic bullet failure on a reed buck instant kill but jacket core separation. so i did not used this for years the Don Heath or Gayana spend a couple of days with me in Mozambique and Don used for years a 9.3x62 for buffalo and elephant culling and he loved that bullet he never had a failure and Don know what he was talking about. So then there came a day were i had to go after a wounded buffalo so i took a 9.3x74R double rifle loaded a TUG in the right barrel and solid in the left. Results on 8 meter charging Buffalo one TUG end of story perfect results no second shot needed. Bullet worked as designed front section disintegrated and lots of shrapnels rear full penetration and exit.

you should be able to find them at Rosenthal in Cape town and if not sure get a box of solids from RWS ans back up. they regulate to the same point normally in all the guns i shot.

I would not trust the TSX to open up under all condition in this caliber.

i would not hesitate to hunt anything with the 9,3 x74 myself including the all of the big five myself however i do not used is as a backup when guiding clients except on cats.

Thanks Don (Gayana) miss you

Hope that helps

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
see if you can get RWS TUG old style or the new name RWS 9,3x74 R UNI Classic 19,0g i first used in africa in a 9.3x 64 and had on 30 meter dramatic bullet failure on a reed buck instant kill but jacket core separation. so i did not used this for years the Don Heath or Gayana spend a couple of days with me in Mozambique and Don used for years a 9.3x62 for buffalo and elephant culling and he loved that bullet he never had a failure and Don know what he was talking about. So then there came a day were i had to go after a wounded buffalo so i took a 9.3x74R double rifle loaded a TUG in the right barrel and solid in the left. Results on 8 meter charging Buffalo one TUG end of story perfect results no second shot needed. Bullet worked as designed front section disintegrated and lots of shrapnels rear full penetration and exit.

you should be able to find them at Rosenthal in Cape town and if not sure get a box of solids from RWS ans back up. they regulate to the same point normally in all the guns i shot.I would not trust the TSX to open up under all condition in this caliber. I would not hesitate to hunt anything with the 9,3 x74 myself including the all of the big five myself however i do not used is as a backup when guiding clients except on cats.Thanks Don (Gayana) miss you

Very interesting, thank you Freischütz. In the meantime I got my ammo: Federal Cape Shock Swift A-Frame and waiting for the solids: Federal Cape Shock Woodleigh Hydro Solid, a friendly dealer in Germany placed an order with Federal.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have cut open several types of RWS bullets, and frankly, they did not create a good impression for me.

The jackets were paper thin!

I would take penetration over expansion on buffalo any day.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 8 buff with the .416 400 AF from 20 yards to 308, from lung shots to brain shots. Wendell borrowed it to shoot a buff at 350; bullet opened up fine (he hit it in the heart using an 8 inch wind hold).

I have never lost an animal with an AF.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
for Buffalo I like the Swift A-frame in the larger (470NE) chamberings and/or the Nosler partitions in the 375H&H or the North fork soft point in either chambering!

................................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Recovered 416 Swift A Frame, excellent job.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used both A-F and TSX on buffs. I use a .416 Rigby bolt rifle. I do shoot softs and solids so generally I just see which load, TSX or A-F shoots best with the solids I shoot. Most of the time that is TSX. I can also shoot the TSX faster, but on buffalo, that's not much of an issue. I'd just see which shot "best" in my rifle and use that load.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ford vs Chevy.

You will be happy with either, unless one is just not accurate in your rifle, you can not make a bad choice.

Make sure they feed ... fast. Some people neglect to practice this.

Then make sure you can hit a frying pan from field positions, not a quarter from a bench.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Ford vs Chevy.

You will be happy with either, unless one is just not accurate in your rifle, you can not make a bad choice.

Make sure they feed ... fast. Some people neglect to practice this.

Then make sure you can hit a frying pan from field positions, not a quarter from a bench.

I prefer a German car, it's way better than one from the US. In the meantime I got my ammo: Federal Cape Shock with Swift A-Frame. I just love the Swift partition.

No problem with "feed" 'cause my rifle is a double barrel.