THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    FYI - New Consular Information Sheet On Zimbabwe

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI - New Consular Information Sheet On Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
just found this and thought some of you guys should be aware of it. Talk about killing the goose that lays the golden egg...... From the hunting report via 24hrcampfire

Zimbabwe officials will refuse entry to any foreigners they believe have a bias against the Zimbabwe Government. In some cases, officials have used materials found during luggage searches to deny entry.

It is against the law to make any gesture or comment offensive to the Government. Political or philosophical comments may be interpreted as critical of the Government or of Robert Mugabe and result in immediate arrest, imprisonment and/or expulsion.

There is no limit on the amount of foreign currency travelers take to Zimbabwe, but it is illegal to leave with more than $1,000 US dollars or $5,000 Zimbabwe dollars. Authorities will confiscate money over those amounts and possibly detain travelers for a court appearance.

Be careful with photography. Foreigners have been detained for operating as a journalist without a license for photographing cultural sites, police roadblocks, occupied commercial farms, government buildings and such seemingly innocuous things as fruit carts and religious buildings.

Crime against tourists has risen sharply due to the country's collapsing living standards. Street crime is a serious problem in tourist areas. Use of credit cards, except at major hotels and automatic tellers, is not recommended.

All travelers are strongly urged to obtain medical evacuation insurance prior to arriving in Zimbabwe due to the state of emergency services and an expectation for immediate cash payment for all health services.

The US Federal Administration (FAA) has assessed Zimbabwe's Civil Aviation Authority as not in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization aviation safety standards for the oversight of Zimbabwe's air carrier operations.

The US Embassy does not receive notification of the arrest of American citizens by the Zimbabwe police.

It is illegal to exchange foreign currency for local currency with anyone other than authorized currency dealers. Illegal transactions can result in arrest and jail time pending a hearing before a magistrate.

Many banks and exchange windows refuse to accept traveler's checks for conversion to local currency.

Using a credit card will significantly increase the cost of purchases, as credit card companies calculate the US dollar equivalent using the official government rate.

Hunters should ask for their operator's license number when booking a hunt and check the authenticity of the license with Zimbabwe Association of Tour and Safari Operators (ZATSO) at: pangeti@zct.co.zw or bown@zct.co.zw.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
And I want to visit and hunt in Zimbabwe because why shocker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the beginning of the end for hunting Zimbabwe. So if I understood your post correctly, say I bring $15,000. to hunt and for whatever reason, only spend $10,000. Since one is only allowed to leave with $1k., I guess the friendly Zim gov't gets the other 4K????

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It can't be any rosier than that, folks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still some tout Zimbabwe as the only place to leave your money. Supporting Mad Bob with every safari dollar spent in the guise of making a cheap hunt for Big Five animals. killpc

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
I predict a travel ban VERY soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I am not sitting on a spent 50% deposit in that country!

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many times have we heard about doomsday and every year countless hunters have the time of their lives. Zim is still a bargin right up until the day you get hammered. Sounds just like every other african country. No new news here.

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Gunny, No it isn't. How do you think the US will react when the Zim. Government arrests one of it's citizenson some bullshit charge and fails to notify the US Embassy????? Instant travel ban. It will happen soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It may sound alarming to folks whose only frame of reference is the USA, but to someone who grew up in Africa none of this is very new. For years in RSA, we were not permitted to leave the country with more than R2000 and then only once a year. It was understood that you criticized the govt at your peril etc etc.

It's also a fallacy that safari dollars support Robert Mugabe. The majority of safari operators are unrelated to Mugabe, they are small companies that are surviving despite Mugabe, and the money you pay for your hunt goes to support these folks and their employees. In communal areas, money also goes to the local community...an important factor because these are the folks that determine whether wildlife is tolerated or not. In some concessions eg SAPI, the lease payments (or auction proceeds) do go to the state but again, this flow of money buys the ongoing protection of the wildlife to the extent that's possible in Zim.

I am not advocating hunting on a farm now owned by Mugabe or one of his cronies. That's illegal by US law. But there's nothing wrong with going to Zim on safari. Crime rates are lower than in RSA so if that's the criterion nobody should go to SA either.

For the record, I should point out that we do represent a (one man) safari company in Zim. However, we also represent folks in many other countries.

When reading a post, one should always examine the vested interests of the poster. I have read many posts regarding the impossible firearms importation laws in SA, but strangely the posters always seem to be folks who don't sell any hunts in RSA.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I'm with Russ on this one. We have a total of 16 in Zim right now. I'm in communication at least every other day. No problems to report. The only time we're around any "officials" are at the airport and after a brief check though, we're off to the bush. I receive the deposits here in the US of A. Only when it's time to advance our clients deposit do we send any money and let's just say a lot of it stays in country. I'm going back in a couple of weeks. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Strikes me that the only thing in the release that's changed and is worth worrying about is the money rule..... and I see nothing there that stops you taking travellers checks as standby money and even if you have to hand them in at the airport, you could probably report them as stolen and claim your money back...... you just need to have a record of the relevant serial numbers...... . you might have to have pre arranged agreement with your outfitter for him to accept at least partial payment by T/Cs though. but you do need to be aware of the situation so you can keep an accurate record of the serial numbers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gould made a good point often overlooked by many readers in the statement about vested interests in selling Zim. hunts.
Some members whom posted here on the volital situation of zimbabwe for traveling hunters have missed the point entirely.....WHY? Why put up with any of the crap of traveling there? Why endure money issues, threats of imprisonment, etc......? Could it be some are more interested in saving a few K on a DG hunt?
I thought about going to Zimbabwe again (many years since my last trip) but putting my faith in a $6000 USD deposit to be held for a year and one half in advance. Coupled with the apprehension of not knowing if the hunt will come off or if I'd even be able to travel to Zimbabwe legally by then, not to mention will the land be taken from the operator, etc. changed my mind to try the Selous for the same money.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Currently we have a few forumites hunting in Zim, and quite a few more scheduled to go this year. Unfortunately I am not one of them, but I think we'll know shortly if these dire predictions will become a reality.

What I do find incredulous though is the most vociferous and multiple wankings about Zimbabwe come from individual(s) who've never even been there, and post here under more names than CATS have lives. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
jorge, if that was directed at me, you are wrong, as I have been to Zimbabwe, and this is the only "name" I have ever had on AR. Nice try though. Kill the messenger seems to be your M.O. on anything you disagree with.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
nope, wasn't at you at all and I have no issues with you Tembo and you. You've probably been there lots more times than I have and you are correct with your estimation on a future travel ban, but what do you do when you do when you disagree, shower the "messenger" with compliments? Sorry if you took offense, but I'll recover. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Currently we have a few forumites hunting in Zim, and quite a few more scheduled to go this year. Unfortunately I am not one of them, but I think we'll know shortly if these dire predictions will become a reality.

What I do find incredulous though is the most vociferous and multiple wankings about Zimbabwe come from individual(s) who've never even been there, and post here under more names than CATS have lives. jorge

Why are we starting on the personal attack front again?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Saeed: I apologized to Tembo and do so again here. My consternation although general in nature was an effort to try and minimize the persistent and false posts from poster(s) with absolutely no experience with the subject at hand. I'll not do so again. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
nope, wasn't at you at all and I have no issues with you Tembo and you. You've probably been there lots more times than I have and you are correct with your estimation on a future travel ban, but what do you do when you do when you disagree, shower the "messenger" with compliments? Sorry if you took offense, but I'll recover. jorge

Jorge, Point taken. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject. Sorry I jumped on you with my post.

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Last year, I had my whole hunt paid for up front, and wrote a check for my trophy fees. I had calculated what I would be giving in terms of tips etc, so that money stayed in the camp anyway.

Living in Southern California, I have made many a foray into Mexico (including a brief jail stay, but that's another story), and don't feel as though the rules are any different there than they are in Zimbabwe. If you have cash on you, somebody will find a way to get it, so either be a clever dodger about it, or risk losing it.

Sure Bob may get his share of the cut, but that's the way it is anywhere you go. But the PH's, trackers, staff and others in the food chain sure need and appreciate the gratitude of those of us who still go there despite the implied hypocoracy of doing so.

Im doing my trip this year different than in the past, as I'll be spending a couple days in Harare upon arrival, and before headed to the valley to hunt, and then will DRIVE back to Harare and spend another few days before heading home.

I've been promised a good time, and several of my PH buddy's will be in town as it's a school holiday at the time, and there should be a lot of folks in town. I'm looking forward to seeing what the REAL life is like there, as much as I am the hunting part!

Personally, I think boycotting Zimbabwe is more hurtful than helpful..IMHO.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hell Tembo, our views aren't that far apart on the subject, but you've been there and we might disagree like you say, but you've been there and thus have a valid basis for our opinions. Take care, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I am leaving for Zim on Tuesday and have been in touch with folks on the ground there... business as usual. I agree with Russ, David and others, this always looks worse from the U.S. than it is. I have been to Zim four times, three in the last four years... it is the same ol' same ol'. When things will turn interesting is when Mugabe dies and the power struggle for who succeeds him ensues!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think all the arguments about whether one should or should not hunt there is all a bit pointless. Those that want to, will and those that don't want to, won't. Those that do, shouldn't have any problems if they book with the good guys and as long as they know the current things to look out for. I also don't think anyone has a right to criticise another hunter for whichever country they choose to hunt.

I'd hate to hear of any hunter that went over there and got caught out on this currency thing for example, but if they are aware of the situation, they can take whatever avoiding steps they consider necessary, such as taking some T/Cs instead of all cash before they go.

surely the idea of this forum is to inform, not to judge.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted in Zim. I have never hunted in Zim. That being said:

I would like to hunt in Zim, but it just crossed my little mind that if like in affirmative action we were to change out mugabes Zim for hitlers germany, I dont think the discussion would be so divided. I think this is true because hitlers germany was more unusual then Zim because we kind of expect tin pot dictators, and murderous and/or starving natives in so many of the rat bag african countrys since uhuru.

There might also be some truth in the above mentioned cheapskate theory.

I don't know what is really true except that fewer people by gun, Aids or starvation will not hurt game in the long run, although it will increase the already large poaching problem in the short run. Thats probably too harsh but what the hell, it has the benefit of being true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hear this talk every year at Safari time and by the end of the season the only problem is just the basic headaches we have with Zim.
I do not know how but Zim has gotten good at being bad. Eventually it will fall apart but I have stopped trying to predict when it will happen.

Posts: 26 | Location: texas | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
surely the idea of this forum is to inform, not to judge.......

Amen!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Living in Southern California, I have made many a foray into Mexico (including a brief jail stay, but that's another story),

OK...we'll all go get a beer out he fridge, you start typing and post in increments...c'mon, tell us the story... Eeker

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

. Crime rates are lower than in RSA so if that's the criterion nobody should go to SA either.

Is it because 1/2 of zim is already in SA.

I hear that the illegal immegrants from zim is not getting a good reception anymore in JHB by the black community

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Before this kicks things off, let me point out that this thread was started in May 2007 and it related to new currency restrictions in Zimbabwe. It was discussed for a day or so and then died. - Then 8 months later, for some reason, it was revived by someone adding to it with a totally unrelated press report about the current tensions in Zimbabwe due to the upcoming elections.

Quite what one thing has to do with the other, I simply don't know and it would have been far more appropriate for Old Coyote to begin a new thread completely...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the site has been infiltrated by the US State Department.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari
You are right - sorry. Post deleted.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALP#4:
Glad I am not sitting on a spent 50% deposit in that country!

Yeah, me, too. The slide to oblivion is accelerating. Good luck to all who have stayed.

I have been there many times, but not hunted there, and the thought of running around with ten or twenty grand in cash in a country where a big bunch of folks have been driven to crime because of a rapidly collapsing economy is not my idea of fun. That's why we booked Tanzania for '09, pricy though it may be.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
First, I'm one of the chickens###s who kind of believe some of what I read about conditions in Zim.
I'm to old to put up with any local guvment bull shit on a hunt. I was planning a Buffalo hunt in Zim for this year. I canceled it. To much bullshit.
I understand all the loyalty and good feelings toward the good folks over there trying to make a living. Sorry, I'm not willing to put my ass in a position to be spending time in a jail in Zim for them.
Here is my point.....
Lets say I did decide to take the buffalo hunt
in Zim, listening to the "No big deal, no worry, your safe," from my Agent. Lets assume that I go, get caught with a prohibited picture of a donkey cart on my Kodak and get thrown in the local crossbar hotel. As an old guy, the accommodation's aren't up to my needs and I kick off.
Now my wife and my Husband In Law, (that's the guy that marries your wife when you die, and sells both your double rifles, your shoulder mounted Bongo, Marco Polo, Ibex, and other assorted junk in a garage sale), decide to sue the Agent for several million dollars because he encouraged me to go to a country known to be unstable.
Do you think they would win in Court?
Do agents have a disclaimer in their contract to protect them from such a lawsuit?

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
And besides the Chinese might invade Zim while you are there and take you prisoner, and then deport you to back to China, and then force you to work in a factory making Etchasketchs out of parts that are painted with lead paint, and then by handling the lead paint you might develop genital warts, and then because you have genital warts you might get depressed, and then . . . .

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I started the original thread on this BUT for the sake of clarity, my previous post is copied below. - Which is a diplomatic way of saying this thread now has absolutely no relevance whatsoever. - Better to either let it die, delete it or lock it.

If someone want to start a political argument, they need to take it to the political forum, because it now has bugger all to do with African hunting.

Here's my previous post: -

Guys,

Before this kicks things off, let me point out that this thread was started in May 2007 and it related to new currency restrictions in Zimbabwe. It was discussed for a day or so and then died. - Then 8 months later, for some reason, it was revived by someone adding to it with a totally unrelated press report about the current tensions in Zimbabwe due to the upcoming elections.

Quite what one thing has to do with the other, I simply don't know and it would have been far more appropriate for Old Coyote to begin a new thread completely...........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,all I can say is we have never had our luggage examined upon arrival in Harare: only our weapons were checked. Last May, as we departed there was some hate and discontent between their customs officers and Glenda over taking too many Zim dollars-left the money with the ph. We are returning the middle of March and expect no problems. I don't expect a ban on visiting Zim since Zim and Africa are not in our sphere of interest and really hasen't been since the Johnson Administration

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
killpc homer - I give up! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Steve:

I'll buy you a beer the next time we have supper together and discuss those of us who pay attention and those who don't.

You tried.

Ernest

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me buddy! Wink