New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballsy Lion Encounter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leon Duplessis from Save Safaris who got shot in his foot less than a year ago doing some side work this year between client hunts.

Darting and capturing lions straying out of the Save Conservancy at night. I did this with elephants in the daytime (not darts just shotgun to move elephants back it). I am not sure I want to be anywhere near a wild lion at night.

Lioness at night just prior to darting

Lioness down

Better picture of the lioness - pretty girl but I would want nothing to do with her.

Darting is ballsy - the tranquilizer is very toxic to humans. Its like improper handling of mere ammo can get you killed. And following up at night on a darted lion can't be fun especially when shooting it is really the last resort.

Glad there are people like Leon Duplessis who are out there on the front lines for africa's wildlife even as they earn their living from hunting. The animal right activist will never get that but then they don't go out at night to round up stray wild lions Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion and as a hunter of wild Lions I wholeheartedly disagree with your opening line.

As one of Africa's premier PH's recently posted on this forum :
"To be in close proximity of a Lion that you are going to shoot is an indescribable privilege.... and if you can afford it then I strongly suggest you consider doing it now. Maybe politics dictate you cannot bring your trophy home but if done right do not deny yourself the finest of sports.

I will be in my element for once again I get to walk in trepidation towards the dull reverberating boom of Lion..."

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve416:
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion and as a hunter of wild Lions I wholeheartedly disagree with your opening line.

As one of Africa's premier PH's recently posted on this forum :
"To be in close proximity of a Lion that you are going to shoot is an indescribable privilege.... and if you can afford it then I strongly suggest you consider doing it now. Maybe politics dictate you cannot bring your trophy home but if done right do not deny yourself the finest of sports.

I will be in my element for once again I get to walk in trepidation towards the dull reverberating boom of Lion..."

Nothing wrong in disagreeing on an opinion - if everyday agreed on everything would be a very boring world.

Hopefully the right practices are followed to allow for wild lion hunting. Usfw does not help as quality lion management programs like bubye and save get punished as they do incredible work and pay an high economic cost for wild lions.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually the tranquilizer used for carnivores isn't that dangerous to humans. The tranquilizer used for herbivores, M99, is the dangerous one I suspect you're thinking about. M99 is not used to tranquilize lions.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I also have to disagree with your premise Mike. I hunted with Derek Littleton and he darted many Lions with Dr. Coleen Begg. No one darts a Lion without back up. Frankly no different than a tourist hunter in Africa.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BushPeter:
Actually the tranquilizer used for carnivores isn't that dangerous to humans. The tranquilizer used for herbivores, M99, is the dangerous one I suspect you're thinking about. M99 is not used to tranquilize lions.

Yes I double checked it is the M99 stuff that kills you in a heart beat.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
I also have to disagree with your premise Mike. I hunted with Derek Littleton and he darted many Lions with Dr. Coleen Begg. No one darts a Lion without back up. Frankly no different than a tourist hunter in Africa.

Cheers
Jim

I tried to strike thru my op ed statement but I suck at AR editing. So I deleted it.

Still I want nothing to do with a wild lion at night trying to wrangle it back home.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted the BVC we were in on some darting of lions. Bill C did the same thing. GREAT experience, as long as you were in the land rover the lions didn't pay you any attention. We did not do any at night but the researchers did. From what they said, the biggest problem at night was losing the lion after he was darted. The problems we had were with the lions that the darted lion was with. You had to keep a eye out for them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I darted a lion in 2008 (big male) and it was probably the most memorable adventure of my life. He bluff charged us, stopped at about 6 feet, and growled for about 30 seconds before turning and giving me a shot at the muscle in his hindquarters. I'll never forget those eyes.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Cool photo....and Leon is a nice guy who was kind enough to give me a lift into Harare a few years back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lions still scare me...
Even if I have a gun handy.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote