New
Find
Notify
Tools

PUT-AND-TAKE Hunting: Feelings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf says all of RSA is fenced. Ray says it is not.

???

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Guess all you anti put and take, anti seeding types better never hunt phesant anywhere in north america or turkey in areas where they have been planted.

C'mon, get off the High Horse Howard. You know as well as anybody else on this post what the topic is. It is not about Pheasants or Chukars or Turkeys transplanted to the Columbia Basin or the Umptanum 50 years ago.

It is about animals bought at an auction and placed on a fenced farm days before the arrival of some Overseas Tyro who wants his name in the SCI Record Book so badly that he will pay what it takes to guarantee it.

Compare it to one of those 'Hunting Farms' where they place the birds behind the bushes 20 minutes before you stroll by. You know, the ones with no tailfeathers.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation Alf. It is encouraging that farmers choose to farm game rather than cattle, but in my view the most discriminating hunters will always seek out the wild lands.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The whole of RSA is high game fenced? I find that highly unlikely in the extreme.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey, high horse? No just the opposite. The one who want to dictate to others how they can and can�t hunt are the ones on a high horse holier then thou kick.

I really had three points to make with my post. One, put a little humor into the situation, guess I failed. Two point out that you better be careful what you wish for, you just might get it and all those unintended consequences that go along with it. See Alf�s post that I wholehearted agree with about the farming of game in RSA being responsible for the huge numbers of it. Three what gives anyone else the right to dictate to another the method he uses in his hunt?

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It is about animals bought at an auction and placed on a fenced farm days before the arrival of some Overseas Tyro who wants his name in the SCI Record Book so badly that he will pay what it takes to guarantee it.

Just a follow up question. What is wrong with the above? Do you have a problem with it? If so is it just that you choose not to hunt that way or is it that you think it shouldn't be allowed?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard, no one is trying to prevent you from hunting behind a high fence. However, some of use are only interested in wild lands hunting ourselves.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Howard, no one is trying to prevent you from hunting behind a high fence. However, some of use are only interested in wild lands hunting ourselves.

I beg to differ sir. I have read plenty of posts by people on this and other boards seeking or wishing for a law againest just such types of hunting. Some of the posts went awfully close to calling for a ban on all guided hunts even. There will always be - hopefully a small even if vocal - miniority that think their way is the only way and seek to inpose their views on all.

PS I have no interest in hunting pened animals. I can go to the local cow pasture and do that anytime I would choose to do so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Just a follow up question. What is wrong with the above? Do you have a problem with it? If so is it just that you choose not to hunt that way or is it that you think it shouldn't be allowed?

Nothing. If you want to shoot an animal that was bought at an auction, has been held in a trailer for 3-4 days without water and then is released the day before your arrival at the local waterhole then have a ball. Just know the difference, as I'm sure you do.

It is no different than if you came on to one of our farms and shot a Holstein. If you want to pay for it you can shoot it.

I am one of those people that has a strong idea of what ethics are and I don't buy into the BS that we all have to get along. Animals are a crop. It is just the manner of taking them that differentiates the Hunter from the Shooter.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd pretty much agree with ALF on this. Certainly 99.9% of RSA game areas are fenced and ALL areas that hold DG (except Leopard) have to be fenced by law. Those very few areas that are not fenced, mostly have neighbours that do fence their land, so you still end up with the same thing.

There's nothing really wrong (IMO) with hunting a large fenced area for plains game, and even for some DG depending on the clients abilities...... for example it might be tough for a badly handicapped hunter to access and hunt some of the wilder places...... so should this mean that this kind of hunter should never hunt Africa?

As for areas that release game a couple of days before the client arrives. I've been in this business one way or another since the early 80s and have never come across that. The closest to this that I know of is where some wild game might be captured in one area and translocated to another. But even if this happens just prior to the client arriving the game is so spooky for the first few weeks that it is more of a hinderance than anything else. If you did a total game count on pretty much any sensibly sized hunting area in RSA you could be pretty sure that only a very small percentage of those animals would have been translocated in the previous few months.... or even years..... and believe me, there's very few hunting areas in RSA that have never used a game translocation as part of their game management programme.

As with most things in Africa, never say never and never say always.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is where I get lost in this debate. If it is indeed all fenced and seeded. what is the difference if I hunt a exotic in Texas on a high acerage ranch with perimiter fencing Vs Africa ? It's more cost effective and I do not have to deal with any foreign politics to enjoy a hunt. I guess I guess I do not understand why so many are opposed to fences here but in RSA it is ok to hunt behind a fence. Simply because you are hunting a area that is enclosed does not make it a canned hunt in my view. Planting animals the day before and hunting very small high fenced areas is not for me.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Well it seems to me then that most hunters dont mind fenced properties as SA is the most hunted country in Africa and it seems from the posters that it is mostly fenced, so where is the problem !!!! I guess there is no problem except some hunters will not hunt fenced and that is their perogitive, but they are definately in the minority IMHO.

Put an take, well that again is debateable its like canned hunting, where is the line drawn, what is put and take to one man is game management to another so really it all boils down to each individuals perspective, and we know that we will NEVER EVER all agree will we ...

Therefore hunt wherever your heart & budget takes you ...

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A wise man, Balla-Balla! I think the trend we can see is an overbearing concern for the ethical aspect of the hunt. We allll have different views on ethics....One guy will go to the wildest place on earth, but will still pop a kudu from the car on the way back to camp.....another will go to a fenced "preserve" and hunt with a weapon which has 30yards maximum range. I am glad that most/nearly all hunters here care so much that the hunt be fair, hard and that trophies are well-earned no matter where they are hunted! Bass!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.S. Thanks for making this a thread where no threats, foul language, or references to each others lineage are used as bargaining chips! KEEP THE TREND!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla well said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by DavidAk

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put and take in high fenced enclosures comes down to DEFINTION!

Animals specifically stocked for the upcoming season or a particular hunter or group of hunters is unethical.

To spin or infer that a significant number of high fenced operations are similar is not helpful nor is it legitimate opinion.

Animal restocking goes on even in areas without high fences.

I was told an amusing story by one of my PH's after we had stalked a group of Tsessebee (no shooters). On the way back to the vehicle he told me that once a PH friend of his was stalking Tsessebee on a ranch in Zimbabwe of several hundred thousand acres. This PH saw one that he was sure would break the world record. They successfully stalked and harvested the animal. When they walked up to the downed animal they saw why the animal was so impressive. Several years earlier they had added Tsessebee from another part of Zimbabwe either to bolster numbers or improve genetics. Regardless, my PH said that during shipping between locations they typically put rubber hosing type material on the horns to keep the animals from hurting each other. The Tsessebee they had on the ground still was sporting this brown hosing material. They had failed to remove it from this particular animal before release. Alas after removing the hosing material, the animal was rather average.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote