New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning on Taxidermy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dont worry about the taxidermist - made sure your trophies are welcome at home. Until this point my deer and pronghorn mounts lived in my office (cave?) at home.

Last year I went on my first plains game hunt in Namibia. Had a great time. Then after spending slightly more than the ground cost of the hunt on dip and pack, shipping, tanning and taxidermy, the only piece welcome outside of my cave is the zebra rug. If I had to do it again, I would throw away (in Africa) everything but the zebra hide.

So check it out at home before you spend anything on bringing it back.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to here this. A very good friend of mine has this same problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run my house! I put my dead animals on the wall exactly where my wife tells me too!
Thankfully, she likes them.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I guess I am lucky. I can put them wherever I want. My wife hates European mounts so they are all mounted. Sadly I know a lot of people that cannot take them in the house.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad to say a lot of us have some degree of this. What are you doing about it? Keeping stuff in your cave or selling some of it (at a big loss) to appease your other half? Curious to as how different people deal with it. Mine doesn't begrudge me my hobby just does not want it all over the house.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
We have them all over the house. Take you wife hunting so some of the trophies are hers.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
RAC: +1! tu2

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:
We have them all over the house. Take you wife hunting so some of the trophies are hers.

tu2 +2

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:

tu2 +2

tu2 +3

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lucky. I married a very understanding woman (all the rest left me).

I used to have a very good friend, who when I asked him on short notice if he wanted to go hunting -- he always responded that he needed to see if he could get a "kitchen pass" -- whatever the hell that was. I always used to tell him to grow a pair. He's dead now.

I do miss him; and he missed a hell of alot of hunting trips. Just a parable.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Bugger that, I would be having a chat to my lawyer.
Something to do with high-way and my way.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Have you priced a divorce?

They're pretty expensive, but you can save up for it.

Just put aside what you're no longer spending on taxidermy and you'll have enough in no time! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife is Catholic. She doesn't believe in divorce.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm soooooo lucky! My wife likes tasteful displays of taxidermy, and we have pieces scattered around the house, with most in the den/family room. A bear rug hangs on the master bedroom wall, along with a couple of racks. There actually aren't any rooms or hallways that don't have at least some kind of hunting or fishing trophy on display. Only a couple of shoulder mounts...most are Euro skulls or racks/horns with leather caps.

When I was returning from a Quebec hunt that netted not only a couple of 'bou but also a huge black bear, I phoned her and told her the good news. She didn't even hesitate, instead quickly informing me "We'll have to have that done as a full-body mount...I've always wanted one of those!"

Fortunately, so have I!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
My wife is a saint for having put up with me for past 44 years so I don't press her on some things. She doesn't like "your heads" but she has never objected that I have them and enjoy them. So ... I have limited them to my office and the playroom - trophy room.

The one that bothers her the most is the pedestal Cape buffalo that is right between the playroom and office. She must step around it and says it gives her the "Willies." I dd tell her that my rooms were full and the eland has to go over the bed in the bedroom! Needless to say, that suggestion didn't go over well!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
A good cape buff mount should produce a few "willies".

Oday, check out the LDE taxidermy thread above, we can do your eland as a headboard... Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife can design/build the house if she wants. I just want 3 rooms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sleep on 1 end of the house & my wife sleeps on the other.
Before I got my CPAP machine I snored turribly, so I moved into a guest room to keep from being woke up for snoring.(Hech yea I'm snoring, I'm asleep) Well we both got use to the arraingment, so she has her bedroom & I have mine.
My bedroom has 7 mounts in it & hers has 2.
The den has 4, the dining room has 2 & the patio has a zebra rug.
All the rest are in my Man-Cave (THE HE MAN WOMAN HATERS CLUB) in my shop. I didn't give it the name, my buddys wife did.
Got 6 more due to be picked up in Oct.
Our nieces spent the night with us & were wierded out.
She did finally move the rattlesnake out to the shop.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My wife and I settled the hunting / gun / mounts thing before we said "I do". She has a nicer house than I think we need and I have my mounts and guns in it!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
when i started a post about not telling my wife i am going ele hunting in Oct( the ONLY African animal she doesn't want me to hunt) i was told by numerous posters to" grow a pair". where are those load mouths now?? my trophy room as well they rest of my house( including the master bed room)is jammed full of about 35 species of animals and she loves them all. she just has a personal desire that i not shoot an elephant and i choose to spare her feeling by keeping my mouth shut.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.

Over the years we learned to divide up everything equally.

I have my 150 square feet man cave that I get to decorate like I want and Wifezilla has the 3,000+ square feet that she decorates any way that she wants.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
when i started a post about not telling my wife i am going ele hunting in Oct( the ONLY African animal she doesn't want me to hunt) i was told by numerous posters to" grow a pair". where are those load mouths now?? \

I posted right above you brother!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sell the wife.................. diggin

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.

Not a sewerage pipe wish??

Over the years we learned to divide up everything equally.

I have my 150 square feet man cave that I get to decorate like I want and Wifezilla has the 3,000+ square feet that she decorates any way that she wants.

Your math has got me a little, equally equates to 50/50, not so? 150 sq ft does not equate to 3000 sq ft. A question if you please, and I do not mean pry into your affairs. I presume that you pay for the decor in your 150 sqs, who pays for the decor in the 3000 sqs? Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
WOW, I guess my wife truly loves me, Not only me being a taxidermist and hunter and being able to hang anything anywhere, She is an anti hunter. When I met her she was a card carrying member of PETA the Humane Society against hunting.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your math has got me a little, equally equates to 50/50, not so? 150 sq ft does not equate to 3000 sq ft. A question if you please, and I do not mean pry into your affairs. I presume that you pay for the decor in your 150 sqs, who pays for the decor in the 3000 sqs?

Just a question concerning your understanding of math, Are you Married?

From my observations on the subject is that mathematics is a little different for many married men. We work under the commandment, especially in community property states, of what is hers, is hers, and what is mine is half hers. shocker shocker shocker

My biggest reservation about having things mounted, other than european mounts/skull caps, is what happens to those mounts after the hunter passes on?

To me, instead of paying to have an actual mount done, do a euro or just the skull cap and use the money that would be spent on some shoulder mounts to hunt something else. JAO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

Just a question concerning your understanding of math, Are you Married?

From my observations on the subject is that mathematics is a little different for many married men. We work under the commandment, especially in community property states, of what is hers, is hers, and what is mine is half hers. shocker shocker shocker.

Maths is supposed to be logic, I suppose I should have taken into account when considering such matters, the fairer sex [bless them] and logic seem on occasion, poles apart. As these sorts of conversation usually end up with me opening my mouth to change feet, let me depart before a rolling pin or some other kithchen utensil is sent my way. sofa diggin

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Have been divorced now for 14 years. My man cave is 3,050 sq ft. I have things hanging in every room. If someone doesn't like it, the door swings both ways. Guess that is why I'm still single...and very lonely at night. Whistling

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Maths is supposed to be logic, I suppose I should have taken into account when considering such matters, the fairer sex [bless them] and logic seem on occasion, poles apart. As these sorts of conversation usually end up with me opening my mouth to change feet, let me depart before a rolling pin or some other kithchen utensil is sent my way. sofa diggin

Math is logic but logic does not apply to the fairer sex so you can see the inherent flaw in the argument.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
My wife's dad did a lot of fishing, big game hunting and bird hunting. This ended up being a huge win for me later in life. She might not like them but we have an agreement they don't go in our bedroom or what I call the worthless room. Basically a cute room for her to decorate. Her other rule is that I clean them, not her.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Divorce costs so much because it is worth it. Remember that every hot single woman is single because someone got tired of her s**t. I'm glad my girlfriend just wants to decorate with whatever I kill and just makes suggestions as to what species i should kill next. She don't want to kill'em but she likes to decorate with the skins and mounts.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say do this. Tell your wife, Honey I am bringing ALL my mounts into the house. You may tell me to remove the one you find the most offensive. At that point I will take it out, then I will select some item in the house of yours that I wish to be removed and you will do the same. We can play this game for as long as you like!"
Unless your wife bought and paid for your entire house, you better cowboy up partner. But if she did, you had better get back to ironing dresses and folding panties. Good grief.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I opened up a gun shop so I can put my trophies wherever I want.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if she did, you had better get back to ironing dresses and folding panties. Good grief.

Tell us what you really think Dave....no need for Sugar Coating....this is AR after all.

jumping

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not marry a woman who wouldn't let me take taxidermy in the house. That said, I don't like stuff all over the house; I think it looks tacky when there is a mounted head next to a picture of your kid on the first day of school.

If we ever build our Colorado house, I might change my mind, but somehow a deer head over a baby grand piano just doesn't look right. My stuff is the TR.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I guess I'm lucky. I married a very understanding woman (all the rest left me).

I used to have a very good friend, who when I asked him on short notice if he wanted to go hunting -- he always responded that he needed to see if he could get a "kitchen pass" -- whatever the hell that was. I always used to tell him to grow a pair. He's dead now.

I do miss him; and he missed a hell of alot of hunting trips. Just a parable.

Anyone that needs to get a "kitchen pass" needs to have their "man card" taken away.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. A moose is MUCH better over the piano!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky--all my friends call my wife the "Cabela's Girl" and we never have taxidermy debates.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we need a "used wife dealer" on this site!
That being said, mine is not up for trade. I wouldn't submit ya'll to that.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you guys ever seen the house of Ralph and Vickie, the two bowhunters?

It is absolutely filled to the brim with taxidermy - all over the house - which doesn't appear to be that big. By the way, I like their shows; just don't like the house.

I also looked at a summer home in Payson AZ; the realtor showed me hers. They had a ton of taxidermy, including two 21 day full bag safaris mounted in a house that was maybe 1850 sq feet - with no basement (I have no issues with basement TRs - I think they look good). Every square inch of that house was covered.

Why people spend more on taxidermy than their house (okay, a bit of a hyperbole) is beyond belief. GET A BIGGER HOUSE.