Find
Notify
Tools

Clothing for Plains Game Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello gentleman,

My father and I will be going to South Africa for a 7 day plains game hunt this July (9-17) with cruiser safaris.

For those of you that hunt or have hunted South Africa in July, what do you recommend wearing on the typical day afield?

Any advice is appreciated

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
The early mornings on the back of a vehicle can be quite chilli. Take a warm jacket for the early mornings late afternoons and the evening around the campfire. A good pair of gloves is well worth having with you in the early mornings. It heats up during the day and once it heats up it is very pleasant. It helps to dress in layers, but don't over do it can get reasonably hot during the day in Limpopo. You might not believe it, but on 3 occasions while hunting I got sobbing wet with rain every time in June/July, but this should not be too big a concern,

For the rest - enjoy your hunt.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice - very much appreciated.

What do you guys think of TAG safari clothing - was giving their explorer pants and shooting shirts a good look.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Jaco nailed it. I wore shorts many days, but the jacket did help in the mornings/evenings. During the middle of the day, I down right got pretty warm while tracking.

I have a number of TAG shirts, but no pants. The shirts have treated me right.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Last time i hunted in SA in July, it was the coldest i have ever been in Africa.
We wore everything we had in the morning and at night.
Middle of the day it does warm up nicely.

They were putting hot water bottles in our beds at night.

Be sure to take a warm fleece and a warm hat and gloves.

Posts: 759 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We hunted the last week of July and first 2 weeks of August last year. The elevation was about 4000' at the lodge, and 6000' on top of the mountains. Very cold in the mornings, with frost on the vehicles. My friend from Texas was uncomfortable until around 1000 every day, and wore his long johns until lunch every day. Being from the mountains here in Idaho, I just thought it was nice and very similar to home.

A warm coat, hat, and light gloves are nice, if nothing else they keep the wind off you while driving.

In my 5 trips over, in all types of terrain I have been happy with brown or green Wrangler jeans and green cotton shirts from Cabelas. The Tag line are excellent, and will last you for years.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Personally, I find the sleeves on TAG shirts too short.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HUNTER10:

What do you guys think of TAG safari clothing - was giving their explorer pants and shooting shirts a good look.

The old models from years ago were great but sadly they have added too many pockets, often with no way to close them for easy handling of your rifle.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the northern part of SA last year in late may.

We had frost most mornings, and I was asking why it was so cold in Africa... I was told that the temps we were experiencing were normal. It was cold waking up, and I was glad for the thinsulate jacket and the watch cap.

It was in the mid 70's in the middle of the day, and quite dry.

Overall, very pleasant, but having something for the head and hands while riding in the cruiser in the morning is good. Most of the time I ended up taking off the jacket as soon as we got out of the truck.

If you think early fall in the northern US states, you will have the right idea.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CRB:
Sounds like that would have been a perfect
time of day to wear shorts!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In SA you have the SNIPER Africa series of clothes that fit in very well with colors and shadows from the sun and vegetation. Soft cloth and very comfortable. As camo is allowed in SA many guides/PH also wear them.

Check the web pages www.sniperafrica.com

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the Kimberley area last July, it was below freezing most mornings, and a jacket, gloves, and hat were needed. By mid-morning, we were back in our short-sleeved shirts.

To your standard African togs, I would add a lightweight fleece as well as a light jacket with a pair of gloves in the left pocket and a sock hat in the right pocket.

This will be our get-up when my brother and I return to RSA this coming July/August.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - will certainly bring warm jacket, hat, gloves for the am chill.

As for the mid day hunts, do most of you guys go with long or short sleeve shooting shirts?

Kinda liking the look of the boyt shirts:

http://www.boytharness.com/Cat...20-ae8b-ccf37c519a9f

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find the lighter weight Carhartt canvas pants work great, as well as the Cabelas Serengeti Safari shirts. I use them everywhere, not just Africa.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
My experience in South Africa was the Port Elizabeth Karoo area in 2012 with Leopards Valley Safari's.

It was just like Texas Hill country in the winter. Cold mornings down to 30f, days warming up to 60-65f.

I wore Prana Stretch Zion pants and Marmot Pants along with a couple of Ex-Officio long sleeve shirts during the day and for the drive out. I also two jackets (medium fleece) and a Boyt Cotton Safari Jacket (*Love that thing!) as well as a nice fleece beanie. I was marginal on the cold side of things until 10am. I really should have packed long johns or some fleece overpants for the cold drive out.

I was actually quite surprised at how cold it was. On our last day it snowed.

The surprising part was that during the day and on the stalk it was warm enough that I didn't even use my Safari Vest. I ended up just with the long sleeve shirt and that was fine.

PS: 7 Weeks and I return for my second PG hunt!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
I find the lighter weight Carhartt canvas pants work great, as well as the Cabelas Serengeti Safari shirts. I use them everywhere, not just Africa.

JG

You can bet this country boy will have his Carhartt ins. chore bibs in his bag going over

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DHSinger
posted Hide Post
Whatever you decide to take, wear it before you leave. Only three things matter, comfort, comfort and, comfort. If you take something you haven't worn and it doesn't fit, scratches or is otherwise uncomfortable, you'll be stuck with it.

Posts: 38 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DHS, that is excellent advice. Chafing on a long walk can become a concern. I found the Cabela's shorts to be very comfortable, Carhardt makes Cargo pants in a heavy or a light configuration with plenty of room and pockets and their short/long sleeve shirts are roomy and comfortable.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
To eliminate chafing "galling" wear boxer briefs made of 100% synthetic

Under Armour ect

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OR commando...............

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Whatever you bring, if it includes a fleece (and it should) make sure it is WINDPROOF! A cheap fleece is just that. A good one substitutes for a light jacket.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bos en Dal Safari's
posted Hide Post
Well sitting outside now i am pretty cold, we had some good rains thus season so i bet it will be a cold winter!!

As it has been said in the mornings and evenings two layers will be good. During the day you will warm up.

Good luck on your hunt and enjoy, weather it is cold or hot is doesnt matter the bullet will travel straight

Best Regards

Best Regards
Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren
Bos en Dal Safaris
www.bosendal.com
Tel: +275158307
email: gerrit@ehw.co.za

Posts: 56 | Location: Rustenburg South Africa  | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I alway wear underArmour long sleeve shirts and boxer/ briefs under my safari outfit which is usually some type of cotton pants and button down shirts some sort of green. the cabelas safari stuff is great and so is the Tag stuff and is a lighter cotton. I alway use some sort of medium ply smart wool socks and a pear of gaiters to stop the grit and dry straw from getting into my shoes/ boots. I always have a heavy fleece jacket for the mornings with gloves and a knit wool cap...it can be freezing in the morning. If I wear shorts, I still always wear a long sleeve shirt of underarmour heat gear and their boxer/ briefs. Cotton close to my body says wet from sweat and causes chafing where you do not want it.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark - I think there was a very detailed thread sometime back on this type of dressing, or not dressing. dancing Seems a lot of folks who adhere to this were named and identified as well. It's definitely an option.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be prepared to ride in the back of the truck in 40 degrees, windy and steadily raining. We had this for two days our last trip. About like riding in the skiff for an Alaska bear hunt. I have never seen people so miserable as the trackers.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaCole:
Whatever you bring, if it includes a fleece (and it should) make sure it is WINDPROOF! A cheap fleece is just that. A good one substitutes for a light jacket.

Good sound advice BC.

-for yrs I stuck to the ordinary polarfleece layer under a gore-tex outer shell,

but with todays advanced soft-shell fabrics, which are highly wind-water resistant,
I can mostly operate with a base thermal layer covered in a high quality soft-shell[as required].
My stack of high quality Arcteryx goretex shell-gear, hardly sees any use any more.

moisture[1] and wind[ 2nd].. are the biggest enemies to retaining essential body heat.
and Keep in mind that if your technical/weather resistant clothing is not breathable enough while keeping wind and rain out,
your released[but retained/trapped] body moisture will drain you of body heat, rendering the clothing less effective.

e.g.; People who have used seam sealed water-proof sleeping bags, have found that they have held too much body perpiration/moisture in,
dampening the thermal efficient of high-loft down insulation contained within.
In some cases, A lighter temp. rating bag with more breathable outer skin, would have actually been warmer/more thermally efficient.
Same applies to outdoor clothing.

Its important/smart to have a skin layer cloth, that wicks moisture/perpiration away from your skin in cold conditions.
A number of todays advanced synthetics do a very good job of that.
Some 1st layer clothing have a syn. weave that touches the skin for effective wicking and HQ-microfine wool weave on the outer surface.
In effect, you can have a moisture laden skin layer but still be reasonably warm...compare that with the dismal effects of wet cotton on
skin, and see the difference.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I've been in the Karroo before in June, where it was so cold, I stayed bundled in my two jerseys, jacket and beanie all day, and nearly froze. The wind was so bad that when we stopped at for lunch, you could flick a slice of bread into the air and it would blow away and land 10 - 15m away.

Damn, I've never been so miserable, even in basic.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:

I wear the exact same combination as JGR- Cabellas Safari shirts and Carhartt pants. In fact I bought two pairs of Carhartt pants on eBay yesterday.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
June and July can be cold, especially in the back of a hunting truck. It can also be pretty windy.

On our previous two plains games trips, Namibia and Botswana, we had temps below freezing, in the high 20's F. The first hour of the day, can be pretty chilly in the back of a hunting truck.

We were finding ice in water troughs until noon.

On the other hand, if it is not cloudy, the middle of day warms up nicely.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy cotton shirts and pants to turn the thorns, a wind stopper lined and or insulated jacket for the morning and evening rides in the truck. Gloves and a beanie are other essentials.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
. . . a beanie are other essentials.

With or without a little propeller? And if with, what color propeller?

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

My 5 and 7 year old grandsons call that "freeballing"!!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple Rules have always worked for me:

100% Cotton;

Green -- some shade(a dark Khaki or grey will do in a pinch),no need to match, probably better if you don't;

Long sleeves -- you can always roll them up;

Permethrin;

Cotton Boxers; and

A sewing kit for repairs and duct tape for major in the field repairs.

I always carry one more set of hunting clothes than recommended in case I have a "catastrophic" wardrobe failure. It's only happened once thus far, due to old clothes and sharp rocks.

If you are going to be crawling around atop big granite boulders, you might want to include knee and elbow pads in your kit. They can demolish clothes.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
My first trip I wore boxers. After that trip I switched to boxer briefs and find them much more comfortable for walking. I like the Docker or Dickie pants in dark khaki or dark green. Be sure to wash and wear them until they are soft. New they are too stiff and will be noisy.

The weather can vary a lot depending upon where you will be. When hunting Natal I never needed anything heavier than a long sleeve shirt. In Eastern Free State I would start out with a t-shirt, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, and coat. The coat came off shortly after the hunting started.

I always treat my clothing (including shoes) with Permethrin about a week before packing.

I would recommend packing a pair of warm slippers. The floors can be very cold at night.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Cold pack a jacket in the morning!!! Shorts in the afternoon!!! Sweatpants and jackets around the fire at night.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

You got floors?

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the "slippers" or flip-flops are a good idea. I got nailed by a scorpionin my tent in 2007 and my leg and foot was numb for days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
. . . a beanie are other essentials.

With or without a little propeller? And if with, what color propeller?

Roll Eyes

Fair dinkum MJ........you are a really funny bloke!!!! animal

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I really like the 100% cotton, ripstop, BDU pants with button fly made by Propper and others. About $30, quiet after a dozen washings, lots of solid colors from which to choose, adjustable so easy to fit, and widely available via mail order.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm going to treat it like the states in late fall and wear the cloths I wear here