New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 nitro
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Talked to the boss and she said I can order a barrel for my 470 nitro project. Now here comes the info and questions. It will be stainless steel, so my only choices, found so far, are Pac-Nor and montana rifleman. Pac-Nor offers a 1-16" and 1-18" twist while montana rifleman offers the 1-20". Don't have experience with either brand but have heard on this site that the Pac-Nor is the better brand. My concern is the twist. Which one to go with? The other thing is barrel length. Will be at least 26" but longer is not out of the question either. Not to upset anyone but how about muzzel brakes. Want the finished weight to be around 12# Will be a single shot so am somewhat concerned about the recoil and would like your views on the brake issue. Realize that it is loaded to a relative low pressure so what would you compare recoil to 460 Wby, 458 Win, etc... And what are you guys opinion of ruger factory sights? The reason I'm asking is that being SS I haven't found any after market sights so have decided on Ruger SS front barrel band sight and rear sight. Would any of you know where I could get a set of the sights by chance? Have checked with Numrich gun parts and Brownells and neither have them in SS. Thanks. [Smile]

[ 03-27-2003, 01:21: Message edited by: outlawsix ]

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
outlaw

The normal weight for a double in .470 is 10.5-11#. Your 12# single is plenty heavy enough. Expect no more recoil than a .458 so a muzzle brake is uncalled for.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Outlaw

We do a brake that has no muzzle rise and no increase in noise.

We just put up a video on a 458 lott, with before and after video.

http://www.bp-tec.com/Performance.htm

Check it out..

Rick Hebert

www.bp-tec.com