New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe what now
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since the Zimbabwean bloodless coup has fallen from the headlines here what if anything is happening.

Life as normal, move along nothing to see here, or the cold hard hand of fate is taking Zimbabwe by the throat.

Posts: 11756 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of things. Off the top of my head:

1-new president
2-return of a farm to a white man
3-substantially modify the policy of requiring a black owner
Of at least 51% of most businesses. Certain mining is exempted.
4- Announced crackdowns on corruption with some high profile arrests.
5- Announcement of protection of foreign investment.
6- announced review of parastatals that are not profitable .
7-Numerous things discussed to get economy moving.

Posts: 12069 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Friends whom I email weekly tell me all is fine, they are surviving the cash shortage, and the thought for the future is all positive.
I will be there in July for a two weeks vacation after a hunt in South Africa.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Cal: If you will, please share with us your obserwhen you get back home.

Posts: 11756 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

7 months is a long way away but if the Crocodile continues on the current path, the future for Zimbabwe is looking good.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Will be more than pleased to do so.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Business as usual in Zim. And better. Not really that much has changed politically, but don't be put off hunts here next year.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jack steenson
posted Hide Post
this guy was in bed with Uncle Bob since Zim began. I'm cautiously optimistic but I really don't expect more change. rather more of the same sugar coated. A communist black government is just that regardless of who leads it.

Posts: 33 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 17 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news...under-new-government

Not sure if this is just window dressing for the moment or a real shift in fundamental policy & economic infrastructure

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11090 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new President did send a letter dated 6 December 2017 to President Trump explaining the need for American hunters to help manage their elephant population. I have a copy but can't get it to post.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2879 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Here is the letter from the President Mnangagwa to President Trump

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37402 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm Lovin' This!

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great letter!

Posts: 1901 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot get the letter to open. I am hopeful for Zimbabwe. I do not expect them to turn into S.Korea, but I am hopeful the new President will deal as a rational actor, and a realize a prosperous and stable Zimbabwe, relatively speaking, we see him become prosperous and stable.

I would like to see a commitment to protect foreign investment, so that maybe the US will feel like competing with China.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He has made a commitment to protect foreign investment.

Posts: 12069 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Letter opens in Drop Box

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37402 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible they have all learned a lesson from the previous years?? I will be cautiously optimistic.
Thanks for posting!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be they have, and that old saying might be true.

It takes a thief to catch a thief??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68186 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, he is smart enough to realize that the country has been bled about as much as it can be bled . They will all be better off with a recovery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Letter sounds like it was written by someone from this forum.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I received the letter from Conservation Force. Some people tell me it is fake. I emailed John and Regina to see if they can vouch for authenticity. I will report.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the letter to open. As to it’s authentication, I have no idea, but I hope it is true.

Does anyone think or heard if white Zimbabweans will be invited or allowed to participate in this new regime?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the context of the letter appears very appealing, IMO its wishful thinking and trending as fake news.

Its way too early for Mnangagwa to start talking about Elephant Conservation and Import Permits to the USA when there are other far more important issues in attendance.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I was told again today, from an extremely reliable source, that the letter was real. I have way of knowing except what I was told.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
While the context of the letter appears very appealing, IMO its wishful thinking and trending as fake news.

Its way too early for Mnangagwa to start talking about Elephant Conservation and Import Permits to the USA when there are other far more important issues in attendance.

Like making sure he transfer more money into his own personal account, just like his predecessor clap

Posts: 68186 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is fair to say that we are all cautiously optimistic due to our past history but so far the change has been an unbelievable breath of fresh air with some very positive moves and statements made by the new President. All we can hope is that this sensible approach to rebuilding Zim continues. Zimbabwe is very broken and one would hope that the new President uses this opportunity to encourage investment and economic reform. So far several farms have already been given back to white farmers, there is noticeable drive by govt to cut unnecessary spending and to tidy up all aspects of Zimbabwe. Let's pray it continues.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have white been invited to form the new government or allowed to obtain government positions even on local leveL?

Has any legislative or constitutional changes been proposed to prevent the the arbitrary land seizures and redistribution?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Duckworth:
I think it is fair to say that we are all cautiously optimistic due to our past history but so far the change has been an unbelievable breath of fresh air with some very positive moves and statements made by the new President. All we can hope is that this sensible approach to rebuilding Zim continues. Zimbabwe is very broken and one would hope that the new President uses this opportunity to encourage investment and economic reform. So far several farms have already been given back to white farmers, there is noticeable drive by govt to cut unnecessary spending and to tidy up all aspects of Zimbabwe. Let's pray it continues.

I certainly hope you are right Neil.

Zimbabwe and its people have suffered more than enough injustice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All most of us can do is cross out fingers and hope for the best.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.foreign.senate.gov...-of-zimbabwe-121217p

Yesterday there was a Senate Hearing, The Future of Zimbabwe.

At approximately the 48 minute mark, Senator Udall discusses with the Honorable Stephanie Sullivan of the U.S. State Department trophy hunting of lions and elephants in Zimbabwe.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9450 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote