Find
Notify
Tools

Zim the best?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted
Is Zimbabwe the best hunting destination? It seems to be the most talked about country, here at AR compared to the surrounding countries, Not much happening in the other countries? Do more hunters go there compared to others? Also seems to me that there is more Croc attack , or Jumbo Kills at Zim, ect. compared to others, surley that must also happen in some countires? What do you think?

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Plenty happening in other African countries. The simple fact is that, due to a number of reasons, Zim is the least expensive country for safari, and has been so since Mad Bob started his shite 10 years ago.

Personally, I think Zim far from the best safari country. That title, IMO, goes to either Mozambique or Zambia.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe is very affordable. Not cheap per se, but affordable.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe does has some great opportunities on offer and has certainly in the past been more affordable than other destinations. Combine that with some top quality personnel and lodges etc and I think thats why it is popular. Having said that, every country has good and bad and I think each individual will form their own opinions before during and after their hunts/time there. Personally I think Zim has a good mix and variety of animals and trophy quality animals. The famous old Zim hospitality does do the reputation any harm either

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There are good, bad and indifferent people and operations all over Africa Zim is no different in that respect to the other African countries.

Zimbabwe has some truly great PHs and areas and also it's fair share of dodgy buggers and not so good areas and that same comment could also be applied to many/most other African countries.

You also need to accept that each African country is different in the type, price and style of hunting and not all of them will ever suit all clients needs, tastes and finances.

The trick is for each client to do his own research into country, area, company and individual PH and decide for himself who/what suits him best.

One reason why Zim is so popular is that it's pricing is usually extremely competetive.

If you're researching what country/area/company/PH etc is most suitable for you, you might like to visit www.shakariconnection.com where you'll find sales free, unbiased info on thirteen African countries that offer sport hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are more than 13 countries where one can hunt. In addition to the 13 refered to above there is hunting available in Ghana and Tunisa. The latter countries don't offer the "full plate" many others do. They offer select species the other countries don't offer.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I wasn't suggesting we cover every country in Arica that offers hunting..... but we do cover the major ones. The site currently comprises about 500 odd pages of accurate information about African hunting and also offers what's probably the largest collection of new and second hand African hunting and related books on the net.

Having said that, I reckon we can probably expect to see several more African countries opening to hunting in the next few years. If I'm right, we'll have to add the major ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

... I reckon we can probably expect to see several more African countries opening to hunting in the next few years.

Interesting. You don't suppose Kenya will, do you?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Steve,

As much as I'd like to say yes to that, my guess is despite the occasional whisperings, Kenya won't open in the foreseeable future.

The closest to that kind of hunting that is now open is Uganda. Areas are immense, safaris are largely travelling ones and although game populations are not as high as they could be, the game populations are good enough to offer good hunting and trophy quality is excellent.

It's not currently for the faint hearted or champagne safari crowd yet though and it may never be simply because of the immensity of the areas but if you want old style, traditional adventurous hunting then I have no doubt when I say that's the place to go.

I love Tanzania and have done for many years but given a choice between the two, I'd opt for Uganda every time and in a heartbeat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Kenya politial powers have been bought and payed for by the tree huggers. Don't look for kenya to open anytime in the forseeible future. and there are very very few animals outside the parks or private property

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Zimbabwe the best hunting destination? It seems to be the most talked about country, here at AR compared to the surrounding countries, Not much happening in the other countries? Do more hunters go there compared to others? Also seems to me that there is more Croc attack , or Jumbo Kills at Zim, ect. compared to others, surley that must also happen in some countires? What do you think?

White North,

Zimbabwe offers perhaps the best bang for the buck of any of the African countries that have real safari programs for DG and PG. If you book with a reputable long established safari company in Zim you'll have great experience at a very reasonable price. I think the reason that Zim is talked about so much on AR is simply that Zim safaris fit into more people's budgets than do similiar safari's elsewhere.

What Zim does not have is unique species. If you can find a species in Zim you can also find it in some other country along with that country's unique species. Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia, RSA, Cameroon, CAR and others all offer great hunting and a high level of service and professionalism but the safaris often are more specialized affairs and generally more expensive.

Zimbabwe is a great destination but only "best" in a limited context.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
White North,

If you are cosidering a Jumbo, you may want to look into Moz. As a Canadian, I believe you can import the ivory.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Most would say Tanzania, and though I have not hunted everywhere I would agree based on experience and general knowledge.

In any case, Tanzania sets the standard.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
LDK

That's the main reason I hunt there, and the fact that you are not hunting behind a fence, and you can hunt 4 of the big 5. If I had lots of $$$ I would be hunting all over, Tanzania, Zambia, Ethiopia, CAR, Cameroon, Botswana, Uganda, Angola, Moz, etc.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
LDK

That's the main reason I hunt there, and the fact that you are not hunting behind a fence, and you can hunt 4 of the big 5. If I had lots of $$$ I would be hunting all over, Tanzania, Zambia, Ethiopia, CAR, Cameroon, Botswana, Uganda, Angola, Moz, etc.

So would I, although my experience in Angola still leads me to believe that there are minefields out there that no one alive knows about.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote