Find
Notify
Tools

First time in Africa - off tomorrow
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I fly out tomorrow. My dream buffalo hunt is off (as already posted in another thread).

But I will do a little bit of hunting - birds & some PG.

I will spend 2 days near Joburg, 8 days in Botswana and 2 days in Vic Falls. I'll be spending most of the time in the bush - visiting at least 3 National Parks.

The buffalo hunt is still on the bucket list - just need the patience......

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11035 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip Ashok

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whatever you have read or heard about Africa, leave it at home.

Go with an open mind, and enjoy the whole safari experience.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67716 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great time and good shooting.
Stay safe and come back on your own two feet.
We're waiting on your pictures too.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You will return a changed man.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Who are you hunting with?
Have a great time while the rest of us suckers sit here jealous.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Shoot well.

A good placed first shot makes all the difference...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1604 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Whatever you have read or heard about Africa, leave it at home.

Go with an open mind, and enjoy the whole safari experience.

Great advice. clap

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not hunting buffalo will give you a great excuse to go back. (like you'll need one)
Have a great first trip. enjoy it, there's only one first trip.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go gett 'em Naki! Have a bunch of fun and take a bunch of pictures!

Posts: 41930 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

As my plans changed at the last minute I could not do the small game PG with Andrew McLaren, which I would have liked to do.

I have now arranged with Andre Lureman, Bundu Hunting Safaris. It is a short trip for birds and some PG.

Most of my trip will be visiting National Parks - Okavango, Kalahari & Chobe. 2 days at Vic Falls.

Yes Saeed - my past experience when hunting in British Columbia and few other places here in NZ has been to just go with the flow and mentally prepare to just absorb and enjoy the situation. I learned in my younger days that getting too hyped up with high expectations is always a let down in the end.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Go gett 'em Naki! Have a bunch of fun and take a bunch of pictures!

And write it up YOUR WAY afterward. (I promise to look at the pix.)

Posts: 4865 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip. Don't worry about missing out on the buffalo this trip. You'll be back.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a wonderful trip

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck from an old correspondant.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Have a memorable trip and safe travels.

Posts: 3883 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy yourself, Ashok

Posts: 76 | Location: INDIA | Registered: 27 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Thanks guys.

As my plans changed at the last minute I could not do the small game PG with Andrew McLaren, which I would have liked to do.

I have now arranged with Andre Lureman, Bundu Hunting Safaris. It is a short trip for birds and some PG.

Most of my trip will be visiting National Parks - Okavango, Kalahari & Chobe. 2 days at Vic Falls.

Yes Saeed - my past experience when hunting in British Columbia and few other places here in NZ has been to just go with the flow and mentally prepare to just absorb and enjoy the situation. I learned in my younger days that getting too hyped up with high expectations is always a let down in the end.

You will love Chobe and Okawango, fantastic place with massive ele numbers. Kalahari is vast and you don't see many animals.

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

Posts: 1806 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed your departure, but I hope you left your wristwatch at home. It's just an instrument of frustration.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Had a challenging flight - wort part was 6 hour transit in Perth with idiots in charge of ground transfer.

South African hospitality is amazing. Stayed 2 night at a classic old 5th generation home with attached B&B. Very reaonable.

Had a great day pigeon shooting with Andre, his GF and his friend, his cousin & 4 kid aged 6 to 14. A great social occasion with afternoon Braai. Lot of fun with great people. Some of the kids were shooting pigeons better than me Wink

Went to a game farm for a day - 7.30 to 5 - saw lot of game. Well hunted and spooky. Challenging. I was slow on a warthog. Again had a great time.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I missed you before you went but you seem to be having a great time and I'm sure there is more to come. I know things didn't pan out how you had long planned for but at least you have got your first African experience underway. Did you manage to take one of your nice rifles with you or just loaning under the circumstances?

Best wishes and good luck for the rest of your trip.

Posts: 3886 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Naki,

Enjoy. It'll be great, regardless. Shoot straight and be safe.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3442 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you are having a great time Smiler

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Ashok,

Have a great time and post plenty photos.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 799 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

Wild Kalahari lioness! Lion was seen less than a km from camp at 6.30am while it was stalking a herd of impala - just 60 meters from us. A cheetah was seen at the waterhole near camp the previous day.

Have been in Maun Botswana for 4 days. This is a travel back in time by 60 to 100 years (except for technology!) True WILD Africa & true RURAL Africa - I am staying with my brother in a compound with razor wire walls!

Went to Nxai Pan (pronounced Nai Pan) for a camping trip - DIY style low budget - but I am experiencing REAL WILD Africa.

Amazing ecosystem - Saw some game - Gemsbok, kudu, Giraffe, Impala, hundreds of Springbok, jackal, lots of elephant but small ivory, lots of Kori bustard, one Kohran bustard, lots of sandgrouse.

Off to Chobe tomorrow.

While I am disappointed that my original hunting plan did not work out, I still feel very blessed to be here and experience this.

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
You will love Chobe, amazing ele density there

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have a great trip

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shame about the Buff hunt Naki. Sure looks like you are enjoying your time there.

Word of warning. When traveling with rifles-I know you are just doing an international transit- but avoid Perth. Fly into Sydney then onto Jo'berg. Way less problems should your rifle go missing in transit.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Had a great game drive of Chobe NP and a river cruise yesterday.

Saw the big 5 - lion, leopard, ele & buff in about 2 hours!! Saw wild dogs on a kill - must have happened about half hr or less before we entered park @ 6.15 am!

Nice springbok in the Kalahari.

Below are pic from the Chobe NP.

Saw lots of other animals & birds & plenty of crocs & water monitors. Crocs are small - 6 to 9 feet max.

Hippos & eles in camp!

In Vic Falls now & just tasted some croc fingers & chillie sauce with nice Zambezi beer. 2 more days & back home. Plan for Boma dinner & hope to catch a tiger fish.

Africa is great bug to catch! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
compound with razor wire walls!

To keep the lions out. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you've finally made your trip Naki!!!
By the sound of your posts and photos it was worth the wait!!!
Congratulations and ENJOY!!! tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote