Notify
Tools

AR and SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
SCI takes a lot of hits here on AR. IMHO correctly so. A couple of questions: Why does not SCI come on AR to explain and/or defend itself and would it be to their benefit to do so?

I dropped SCI for reasons give many times here by AR members 15+ years ago. SCI never responded to my personal questions, promoted put and take hunts as legitimate (record elk on 10 1/2 acres), and looked the other way towards gave violators as long as they got a booth and donation money.

I equate SCI and their ruling class gaining all the benefits from a membership they care nothing about to today's politicians using the USA towards their own benefit whilst destroying the basic fabric the country is built on.

So, why is SCI so silent on AR? Just wondering' and I appreciate your opinions.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I doubt SCI would deign to respond here; in their opinion, AR is not representative of SCI's membership.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most likely because so many of their actions and policies are indefensible.

I'm ashamed to say I'm a life member and have considered dropping it, worst $1000 dollars I've ever spent.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by d.unger:
Most likely because so many of their actions and policies are indefensible.

I'm ashamed to say I'm a life member and have considered dropping it, worst $1000 dollars I've ever spent.

Yes and no. While some of their actions are self serving and the inner circles and pinnacles are ridiculous, there wasn't a viable presence in DC lobbying circles at least until DSC came along. Do I wish I had spent the money on DSC membership instead of SCI? Yes. But there isn't an organization that doesn't have some warts just like no candidate will please all constituents.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a radical suggestion. Book a whitetail deer hunt with Redpine Whitetails in Vanderbilt Michigan. It is an estate hunt on about 600 acres but I guarantee an enjoyable hunt with great accommodations, good food and super hunting. Best of all it is owned by Larry Higgins the current SCI president and he is always there during whitetail season. You will have a captive audience for 3 days with the main man at SCI. Ask your questions and you will get answers. Any SCI dissenters interested?
If I remember correctly, scoring things predates SCI by about 100 years or so ( Rowland & Ward).

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Until DCS can match the member base of SCI, 50k+ to 6k+, DSC will not be able to match the DC resources of SCI. It takes a lot of money to file all those lawsuits, plus lobbyists that keeps us hunting. If DCS gets that big, then the only reason to stay with SCI, is for their gun insurance program.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have been a member of SCI almost sense it's infancy. I too disagree with it's fat cat attitude and fostering of the put&take type of hunting drawing awards as if that is real hunting, and their allowing folks like "Out Of Africa" to remain members in good standing for years when everyone knew what they really were.

Still, I maintain my membership because I want to see what they are up to, and who is with them and who is not.
In my opinion, SCI proves what most non-hunters think! That is that only rich people who simply want undeserved attention for there kills, and think nothing of conservation and continued viability of wild life in general not just hunting trophies. Playing by the rules seems lost on SCI.

DSC is the result of a break with them many years ago for the reasons just mentioned above. In my opinion DSC does a lot more for conservation, and hunters than any other hunting club. Though I am long time member of SCI I have never attended one of their conventions and have only missed one of DSC conventions that was this year because I was sick. I doubt it will happen next year!

................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have been on here from time to time as late as this year.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
Until DCS can match the member base of SCI, 50k+ to 6k+, DSC will not be able to match the DC resources of SCI. It takes a lot of money to file all those lawsuits, plus lobbyists that keeps us hunting. If DCS gets that big, then the only reason to stay with SCI, is for their gun insurance program.

And until SCI can increase their membership to numbers even half of the NRA, they will continue to be a fart in the wind in terms of legislation and promoting positive public opinion about hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:

And until SCI can increase their membership to numbers even half of the NRA, they will continue to be a fart in the wind in terms of legislation and promoting positive public opinion about hunting.

All the hunting groups combined will never be half as big as the NRA. But until this year were have they (NRA) been on hunting.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well I suspect that any person who was delegated by SCI to talk on here would quickly get tired of being treated like shit by some of the SCI haters on AR, and say to hell with it. Also, as with any actual organization with paid memberships, there is only so far any are going to go with answering questions on a public forum to people who are not members.

Contrary to what some on here believe, AR does not figure largely in the day to day existence of the vast majority of hunter or hunter related organizations. Not a single hunter that I know belongs to or even knows of AR.

I absolutely do not agree with many things SCI does, but I continue to belong because there is no other org of its kind that does as much when it comes to fighting for hunters and funding conservation type initiatives in OTHER parts of the world beyond the Excited States and Africa.
While I to love Africa, I also am devoted to my country and OUR conservation issues and hunting related issues.

DSC doesn't do anything to assist with issues in Canada and so it is not really of any benefit to me to belong to it. When it starts funding conservation initiatives in Canada I will think about joining it............ beyond that, I only have so much money to drop on memberships in a given year and it will be with orgs that actually do something to support wildlife and hunting in my country. Just the way it is.

As said previously, none of the orgs are perfect. SCI sure as hell isn't and the awards program is beyond ridiculous, slams of game birds?? Roll Eyes ........ but they provide funding to assist in many projects up here north of the 49th, so they will continue to be the org I pick to belong to out of the two.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be we will get slams of insects next?

Nothing is beyond the brainless idiots running SCI! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68617 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
The post immediately above might be one reason the members of SCI don't see any point in wasting their time posting on AR.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The advocacy department of SCI has a handle on AR. My assumption is they can't speak on behalf of awards, records, etc and that's where most of the heat comes from.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I figured you might turn into an SCI supporter since they banned Mark Sullivan from exhibiting at the convention

Roll Eyes

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Here's a radical suggestion. Book a whitetail deer hunt with Redpine Whitetails in Vanderbilt Michigan. It is an estate hunt on about 600 acres but I guarantee an enjoyable hunt with great accommodations, good food and super hunting. Best of all it is owned by Larry Higgins the current SCI president and he is always there during whitetail season. You will have a captive audience for 3 days with the main man at SCI. Ask your questions and you will get answers. Any SCI dissenters interested?
If I remember correctly, scoring things predates SCI by about 100 years or so ( Rowland & Ward).

So I have to pay 5to 10k for a canned deer hunt to tell the SCI President he and his cronies are full of shot? No thanks...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

So I have to pay 5to 10k for a canned deer hunt to tell the SCI President he and his cronies are full of shot? No thanks...

But you get an award. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR is just different from SCI. Not too many hunt reports written with scores and record book stats. Canned hunting is generally looked down upon. AR members are biased against SCI behavior - hunt awards and inner circle stuff.

I just don't get the SCI - its rich guys subsiding awards for really really rich guys. They throw a massive hunting show in Vegas and both SCI and DSC are primarily organizations focused on an annual hunting convention/marketing show.

AR probably is a much tougher place than a SCI chapter but AR members do take real hunts and spend real dollars on hunting. I see plenty of outfitters selling their services on AR and a ton go to SCI and DSC shows. The shows matter for the business of selling hunts.

Maybe we as AR members just don't like a lot of aspects of hunting business - record book hunts, canned hunting, checklist hunting.

I dont think AR or SCI is going away. Both are however becoming less relevant as the general public moves away from trophy hunting and hunting elephants, lions and rhinos becomes less and less practical.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
SCI is not a members' club at all! That is the problem.

SCI is a private enterprise under the control of a small elite.

They sign up members who are not allowed to be part of the elite.

The management does not serve the members because it is not a members' club.

This will not change because the elite will not want to change. They make too much money from the private monopoly!

In a strange sort of way AR is very similar - owned by Saeed with moderators appointed by Saeed. Members are signed up for free.

That is the BIG difference - membership is free and there are no commercial promotions or activities. No awards either.

Also the transparent debates on AR are so refreshing. I doubt that SCI would allow any such challenge or transparency!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11188 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I figured you might turn into an SCI supporter since they banned Mark Sullivan from exhibiting at the convention

Roll Eyes

I was not surprised they kicked him out.
They have been warning him that his ideas are nothing but self glorifying bullshit.
SCI do not anyone to compete with their own chest thumping, INNER CIRCLE members clap

Posts: 68617 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sir, the first problem here would be to insinuate Redpine offers deer "hunts" - its simply a deer shoot, nothing more. Mr. Higgins is a representative of the very thing most here hate about SCI - including pen raised deer shoots, three-horned snow goat awards, and insider trading, just to mention a few.

Anyone who knows me, knows I would have no problem telling him in person, exactly what I think of him and SCI - but even I would have more respect than to do so at his place of business. So no, I wouldn't be interested - in a canned deer shoot for an over supplemented 3 year old.

I haven't seen anyone here denigrating various scoring systems, or record books for that matter - frankly its a recording of history. Its the glorification of the pathetically silly awards program that's the problem. Like many here on AR, I too would qualify for plenty of SCI awards - but I'm not the one that didn't make the team back in high school and am now looking for peer recognition and back slapping to make me feel better about my competitive failures in the past. Which is done by having the deepest pockets - not the best skill / ability like most other forms of competitive recognition.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAron: You seem to know a lot about Mr Higgins ranch without ever being there. There are no pens, the deer feed in food plots, and they are shot at age 5.5 years. Otherwise you are correct. It is an estate hunt and nothing more or less. I offered it as a way to be able to expand on your thoughts and hear input rather than hearsay from SCI. At 74 years of age with two knee replacements it is OK for me. I don't like the awards program either. I have only entered one animal at the request of my PH. So what if it motivates some people? Its entries are an income source for SCI. The ego part is something that is in an individual or not. I try to look past that and consider some of the beneficial programs SCI sponsors and the benefits we as hunters derive from their efforts. To bash SCI because of their awards system and disregard the positives is throwing the baby out with the bathwater..

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with giving an award to someone who actually HUNTED a good trophy animal.

But, SCI making it the Holy Grail has produced criminals on but sides of the fence.

So called PHs whose sole job is to find big animals, raised in pens, and provide them for sick idiots to fly over and shoot them so they can have their names in a record book.

I did some research on this, and I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that so many of the top entries in the SCI record book have been obtained in this manner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: I don't disagree this happens but I suspect it is an extremely small percentage of the entries. I guess my point is "so what". Don't participate in that aspect of SCI. There is so much more being done of a positive note that constantly bashing SCI on forums certainly does not change anything and harms the good portion of SCI. I really get upset when people say it is a collection of rich guys patting each other on the back. I guess it is a sin to be successful. I know Mr. Higgins personally and I'm sure of two things 1. He is working his ass off to produce positive results from SCI and 2. He is spending a substantial amount of his personal assets and time doing this. I told him he is nuts but it is important to him. Things are changing and we need to be more open minded. Support is much more productive than piling on for things done in the past.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

Things are changing and we need to be more open minded.

Please share with us the positive changes you have seen in the organization in the last three years or so . . . changes that broaden their base, get away from the perception of being an organization primarily for international big game hunters, arm hunters with information to fight the assault on hunting, move away from being an elitist organization, encouraging more young people to participate, taking the fight to the anti-hunters instead of playing defense, moving toward an organization run by paid professionals as opposed to a self-interested board, etc. I must have missed some of the positive changes taking place.

Do not get me wrong, I believe some of the work SCI does is worthwhile, particularly at the Chapter level. But I see little to no evidence that they evolving, or that they even appreciate the need to evolve, toward a sustainable organizational model in this social environment that would ever live up to the slogan, First for Hunters.

Mike

Posts: 21667 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember each time we get a new president elected, we hear that change is coming.

Hasn't happened so far.

And I can assure you there are a lot more questionable trophies entered at the top than normal.

All one has to do is look at who the provider is!

Anyone who has hinted for any periodic time will know that big trophies don't grow on trees.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest a start would be to go to the SCI web site and review the "what we do" section. Try to get past the record book and award thing. That is an income generating tool that enables some of the other efforts to be funded. Quite honestly the only award that is valued by the so called "inner circle" is the Conklin award. I guess I see the glass half full not half empty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AAron: You seem to know a lot about Mr Higgins ranch without ever being there. There are no pens, the deer feed in food plots, and they are shot at age 5.5 years. Otherwise you are correct. It is an estate hunt and nothing more or less. I offered it as a way to be able to expand on your thoughts and hear input rather than hearsay from SCI. At 74 years of age with two knee replacements it is OK for me. I don't like the awards program either. I have only entered one animal at the request of my PH. So what if it motivates some people? Its entries are an income source for SCI. The ego part is something that is in an individual or not. I try to look past that and consider some of the beneficial programs SCI sponsors and the benefits we as hunters derive from their efforts. To bash SCI because of their awards system and disregard the positives is throwing the baby out with the bathwater..

Sir, obviously I was being sarcastic - but I expect you got my point. I totally understand your reasons for visiting such a place, I'm glad you have a place you enjoy!

Please know, my opinions DO NOT come from hearsay - rather from direct, face to face experience regarding several different issues with SCI over the past 5 years or so.

I don't bash SCI simply for the awards programs - more so for the overall handling of the entire organization itself. If they need more revenue, how about doing as others have suggested and working hard to become a more inclusive sportsmen's organization?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI=$$ ego

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote