New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baboon safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone ever been on a safari/hunt that was focused on baboons?

Does anyone know any outfitters that offer such hunts? It is something that has piqued my interest.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
While I have never seen a specific safari with Baboons as the major quarry, I would guess it could be done. That said, I would suggest contacting large farmers and rid them of baboons rather than pay a PH a daily fee and a low trophy fee. Every farm or ranch I visited in Zim or SA would welcome a baboon shooter.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Damn...I thought it said Bourbon safari. hilbily

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seriously contemplated hunting with Jan DuPlessis for baboons. You can shoot them over water holes, long range in the hills, etc. Sebra Safaris. I think he would give you a good deal for a baboon only safari.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waste of the PH's time and the booking slot. He needs you to spend at least $1000 per day incl what you shoot to make it worthwhile.

Unfortunately, as a foreigner you have to hunt with a PH so the friendly farmer plan is not legal.

The only way this would work is if you take a group of several guys and everyone has to shoot something besides baboons.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
You, I and JTEX could book a bourbon safari................

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
JTEx, Pete, & I had one courtesy of Baretta Mike at DSC last year. You’re invited this year (last year too, you just weren’t there). We killed some Makers Mark. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Waste of the PH's time and the booking slot. He needs you to spend at least $1000 per day incl what you shoot to make it worthwhile.

Unfortunately, as a foreigner you have to hunt with a PH so the friendly farmer plan is not legal.

The only way this would work is if you take a group of several guys and everyone has to shoot something besides baboons.

Just contact Jan; he can put you on baboons only for a lot less than this.

Russ: have you hunted with Jan??

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Accipiter1 some years ago we had a gentleman visit us for a 10 day baboon safaris. If i can remember correctly he successfully cropped just under 150 baboons. He earned the name Baboon Bill. We operate our own concessions called Humani and Arda in the Save Valley Conservancy. Please send me an email to rogerwhittallsafaris@gmail.com and we can give some options. But we will be looking to take off about 2 to 300.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Folks we can also include some bourbon in this safaris. Wink

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guy Whittall:
Folks we can also include some bourbon in this safaris. Wink

NOW you'll get some interest.. Wink

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
How about bushpig safari?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
There is a shooter from the Dallas area that may hold the long range record for baboon - 900 yards.
He is a maker of custom long range hunting rifles and teacher of long range hunting rifle shooting.

On my first safari with Limcroma Safaris, we saw baboon along the Crocodile river in northern Limpopo Province, but left them alone to avoid spooking our desired plains game.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking to take a lot of babs, as Guy Whittall's post suggests, you'd need to do some planning. Most countries limit the number of rounds per caliber/gun, so you'd need to do some logistics planning. Sounds like great fun though.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Boarkiller we take 90% of our bush pigs stalking in daylight hours in the ilala palm forests along the save river. Unfortunately we can not offer them in the same numbers as the baboons.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This sounds great.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by accipiter1:

Does anyone know any outfitters that offer such hunts? It is something that has piqued my interest.

Baboon hunting can actually be a challenged and much more skill needed than shooting an impala or any other hooved game. Some troops wander over big areas and can become difficult to find. However a fruitfarmer, tomatofarmer etc always need regulators. A big male baboon with long fangs should be considered a trophy. They a smart but rewarding to down. I have only shot small baboons so far. Official huntinglaws in SA does dictate a PH to babysit, but it is my impression that once you build up a good relation and PH knows your shootingskills, to sit out a day alone in a hide..no one in Africa gives a crap...

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

Thanks for the advice, I will contact Jan. I have hunted in that part of Namibia and would love to return.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once on an elephant Safari I had some downtime and shot 20 or so. Was a lot of fun

York, SC

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Baboons and warthogs are my big focus now whenever I'm in RSA.

We have a good few on Limpopo concession we use and when combined with some jackals it can be fun and inexpensive.

We have a lot of dedicated vermin shooters here in the uk and this type of thing is very popular.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
quote:

Baboon hunting can actually be a challenged and much more skill needed than shooting an impala or any other hooved game. Some troops wander over big areas and can become difficult to find. However a fruitfarmer, tomatofarmer etc always need regulators. A big male baboon with long fangs should be considered a trophy. They a smart but rewarding to down. I have only shot small baboons so far. Official huntinglaws in SA does dictate a PH to babysit, but it is my impression that once you build up a good relation and PH knows your shootingskills, to sit out a day alone in a hide..no one in Africa gives a crap...

I am in full agreement, this the reason for my thread. I find them very intelligent with keen eyesight and more challenging than most plains game.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ Gould:

Thanks for the advice, I will contact Jan. I have hunted in that part of Namibia and would love to return.

Here's one of the SEVEN baboons I have shot hunting with Jan. The only year I didn't shoot one was 2015, when it was 20 degrees in the mornings and the baboons were holed up in the mountains
They make a stunning European Mount- I stopped after three of them.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
One of my most difficult stalks was on a troop of baboons.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I have not hunted with Jan, I did once briefly discuss a buffalo hunt with him I believe. I am sure he is an upstanding guy and if he is willing to host a baboon-only hunt, more power to him. At say $100 per baboon, it becomes worthwhile if you can consistently shoot a half dozen a day (something that is easier said than done). I do know of cases (Spanish hunters) where the clients shot warthogs exclusively. Again, if you wack and stack it becomes worthwhile, and warthogs typically fetch up to $400 per so the numbers work better in that case.

My point is simply this: when you are hunting, you are tying up the PH, his vehicle, his staff, and several thousand acres of perfectly good hunting country. It's a business and at the end of the day, it comes down to return on assets ... assets which can only be utilized for say 6 months of the year.

If it were my call, I might do it out of season where legal, but I sure as heck would not want to be turning down the chance to host a trophy hunt in the season to chase baboons.

Something else you should know .. black Africans are often not comfortable with baboon shooting. I once asked a tracker why he didn't like to see baboons shot and he put the dead baboon's hand face up in his hand, and looked at me.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
One of my most difficult stalks was on a troop of baboons.
..and thats when hunting become hunting.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me, baboon hunting is the most fun you can have while wearing pants. People have asked me many times what I prefer to hunt in Africa and my answer has always been, "baboons."

To say that I have received some strange looks and/or comments would be an understatement.

Cheers, Steve

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I tell people baboons and zebra. Zebra are the most switched on thing that eats grass I have ever run across.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
Lane,
You, I and JTEX could book a bourbon safari................

I'm in!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
JTEx, Pete, & I had one courtesy of Baretta Mike at DSC last year. You’re invited this year (last year too, you just weren’t there). We killed some Makers Mark. Big Grin

And we're gonna do it again this year! I WILL be better prepared!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

And we're gonna do it again this year! I WILL be better prepared!

Let's be honest...my wife drinks my share! sofa

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She's more fun to hang out with than you as well.......why do you think you are invited back?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Baboons are normally part of a Plains Game safari and in many cases no trophy fee..

I know of a client that would have a helicopter drop him off at a pre arranged locations near a Baboon colony, He had a shotgun and a full auto rifle, food and water and a pre dug trench..He would sit for awhile after the copter left the area and the baboons got curious and approached him, use the auto rifle and the shotgun was for the ones that got mad and got close..Last I heard he was still alive but after a number of times and some very close calls he retired from hunting them that way..He had some awesome photographs...As best I recall he hunted with Philip and Charles Price Swartkei Safaris, one of the finest in RSA IMO.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin375
posted Hide Post
Yes I did.
Last april the first part of my trip in the Khomas region was focused on baboons even if I killed other animals (zebra, wildebeest and jackals) and I will probably return over there the next year for them. That was an idea of my PH when I met him the year before this hunting trip. He has a lot of baboons on his farm and during the dry season they even come to drink in the swimming pool. I had a lot of fun to hunt them because they are very wary. Sometimes you shoot them at "close" range when they are running and sometimes at several hundred meters away on hills. It's better to order a lot of ammunition at Windhoek before your arrival.
As Alexander Lake said : "If a man wants to test his hunting ability I suggest that he try chacma baboons. No animal, not even the African buffalo, ever led me such a futile chase as did those grey rascals. To this day I'm not sure that I have more brains than a baboon." I remember very well my first baboon killed not far from the Botswana in the Omaheke region after a very long tracking. It was very difficult due to the thick bush but our trackers did a great job and after more than 15 km in the day I had the opportunity to shoot a big male.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
She's more fun to hang out with than you as well.......why do you think you are invited back?

jumping

I have no shame!

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
My grandfather once told me " Little Whittall you are not a hunter until you have killed the big dog baboon of the troop" I was certainly up for the challenge and came back with what i thought was a big dog baboon. My grand father had a quick glance and said " There is on average 6 big dog baboons in a troop and this looks the smallest don't waste my time"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you sort the ammo situation out, and have a rifle with a ballistic turret for that load you can slot them like crazy.

I killed over 60 in 3 days in Zim. They got bloody toey after that though Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
" Sitbok is the kind of animal that sits on his well worn ass the whole day and watches the World go by -but when the hunter comes -he get smart".

Sitbok = Bobbejaan

My favorite African game on this side of Buffaloes Wink

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
I would love to do a hunt like this especially on Humani, it is full of them!!

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 707 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote