THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What did you leave behind for the PH or his staff?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you leave behind for the PH or his staff?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I left my socks, my knife, my extra timberland boots, t-shirts, all the candy I had left, my soft gun cases (sleeves you get for $6 a piece at gunshows here) everything in my shaving kit, (extra razor, shave cream, tribiotic ointment, band-aids, soap, etc) my remaining 375 and 06 ammo.
This was on top of about $1k in tips.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1976 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about anything I wasn't going to need when I got home.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ammo that they could use, hydration pack, medications(antibiotics), rifle sling, lenspen, lens cleaning cloth. Have left a couple of really good custom knives with the skinners. Don't think they have seen anything that sharp. Clothes that I take, school supplies for the kids.............It all makes me appreciate what and how we have and have it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Don't they take those fine customs knives and sharpen them on rocks?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:

Yep! CRYBABY

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always bring tee shirts and caps which are plentiful here in the oil patch. Sometime I bring knives with white handles that I buy at a local commercial fishing supply store at a reasonable price and sharpen well on rocks. I also bring tennis shoes that my family is discarding.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just cash...

Light weight, doesn't take up much space, always fits and seems to be useful!

Posts: 553 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tips.

80 rounds of Federal 06 ammo with the Barnes 165 bullet.

A couple of ball caps.

When my PH was here in Feb I sent back 3 sets of Burris Binos for the trackers.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
I left behind some real good quality hoodies, lots of cash, some epipens, and a whole pile of antibiotics. Most of the antibiotics were taken by the PH's and the camp management for their families as many antibiotics are near impossible to get or outrageously priced. I found it strange as basically no one had ever heard of epipens. As I have a deadly allergy to ibuprofen I carry these everywhere. I also found it strange that nothing for sever allergic reaction was kept in camp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to take all sorts of things as gifts to leave behind like lighters, a lot of knives, shirts and hats but cash transports so much easier and there is never any question about how well it is really recieved that I only give money now. I do leave the PH my leftover ammo in common calibers as it is always welcome.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13014 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Batteries and charger for the PH camera, ammo, coat hangers that they requested we bring over.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Cash, two knives I didn't want to take back and a pair of gloves and a hat that I had lent to my tracker when he was clearly very cold on a frosty morning in Namibia.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had more than one PH tell me that expensive gifts, like a good knife will get sold for cash on the trackers first trip into town after Bwana heads back for his home land. They want cash!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Ciprofloxacin (antibiotic)
Babywipes
Gunwipes
375 H&H Ammunition
Skin-so-Soft
A couple of wind-up flashlights
Cash (including a bunch of singles)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
What I considered a very nice tip for the PH, tracker, staff, etc.

I also left the extra clothes I purchased so the next poor sole that comes along will have a change of clothes if they are remotely my size.

Left some candy, and other little things I brought along.

Left all the skinners knives and more knives.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
2006 just some of what I brought.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I always buy about 10 or 12 pocket knives from those internet venders! They are cheap and the boys seem to like anything that will cut something. They seem to like the ones with bright colored scales, and I hand them out at various times during the safari, I also take three or four cheap qualifilled light jackets with hoods and watch caps for the boys on the hunting car, because they are always cold.

What they NEED more than anything is cash, and that is what I leave at the end of the safari. Of course I leave all my batteries, sunscreen, and insect repellent a few tubes of Neosporin and aspirin and left over ammo.
........................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
All the above. But.......... one gift was especially appreciated by all the guys.
I took 5 deflated soccer balls and a airing needle. Within minutes, they had one inflated from the 12 volt compressor in one of the trucks and were having the time of their lives !!!!!!!!!

I also packed about 20 squirt guns for the kids of the men. And costume jewelry for their wives.

They got more knives and hats than they can count.

Randy

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
A bone dry bottle of Oban.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
I may have to start hunting with you!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
A bone dry bottle of Oban.

These are very useful for storing peanuts if you also leave the cork/cap.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Dead Animals.....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I slew of Philadelphia Eagles hats so the next Dallas Cowboy fans that come to camp will wonder why there are so many IGGLES fans.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
one of my trackers in Zim wears Tom Ford sunglasses Big Grin

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything I didn't want to haul home. Ammo, gun cleaning kits, knives, shoes, shirts etc.

the most important thing though was pictures! Lots and lots of pictures of dead presidents.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cash is king the staff have school fee's for there kids and most of them don't need your old clothes and hats. they sell most everything to get money for what they need at home anyway.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But hook what about the zip ties and duct tape?

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
cash is king the staff have school fee's for there kids and most of them don't need your old clothes and hats. they sell most everything to get money for what they need at home anyway.

tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2

quote:
Originally posted by timg953:
But hook what about the zip ties and duct tape?

animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope a good impression, I was in shape and could shoot, When It was time to close the deal I carried my end.

Cash and 250 barnes tsx. he liked my uncle mikes rubber rifle sling and some cold weather gear that he could not find there.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I left cash everytime,,,the universal gift,, then everything else I was carrying except my optics, and weapon of choice. I left preventative meds such as advil, benadry,cipro, tetracyclines, bug spray, jacket,clothes etc. I usually take clothes that I can easily replace or have duplicates at home. I usually only take 3 or 4 changes of clothes in the first place. Deflated soccer balls are always a huge hit, especially the kids,, they don't get any of the cash.
I always ask the Ph what he would like or need before I go,, last time we all took a game cameras for him and left them for him,, and all the batteries we could get on our weight allowance.
Once the Ph wanted DvD's, Disney variety for his kids,, real easy to take and easy to obtain...If you know your Ph,, ask him what he needs from the states and if possible make it happen..

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everyone know you can't get zip tie's or duct tape in africa!!!!! everyone except the Africans who use it more than a drunk redneck. the only thing i left other than cash was i gave a set of frogg toggs to a hobbit i know Big Grin Big Grin he be a Portuguese hobbit now!!!!

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 24 May 2012 09:42 Hide Post
everyone know you can't get zip tie's or duct tape in africa!!!!

SAYS WHO? Big Grin Aubrey has a supply duct tape and every owner of a Land Rover has too. sofa

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by freischuetz:
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:

Yep! CRYBABY

Also, my PH warned me not to let the skinners use my Randall on my cape buffalo because they would ruin it. The hide was covered in mud, which dulls a knife in moments. As you say, they would then sharpen it on a rock.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I've left behind some clothing and stuff for trackers on different hunts, as well as knifes.

On my last hunt I "donated" a cap to the camp. My PH Russell Lovemore has a collection of caps from previous hunters. On the outside you write your name and the animals you shot, and on the inside you write animals missed. Quite interesting the read on all of them Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Meat from my animals, unwanted skins and heads and unexpended ammo for the PH. (even common calibres can be worth quite a bit).

Most of my hunting clothes (I take the oldest outdoor working clothes I have when I go overseas) cooking oil, sugar or cash for the staff.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote