New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handguns and JFK don't mix
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While we are hot on the subject of traveling with firearms, I thought I would post a similar thread regarding JFK.

When returning (not leaving) through JFK, you have to clear customs there. If you have a handgun, they are going to give you a hard time. New York City requires a permit, almost unobtanium, to have a handgun in your possession (long guns too, but they didn't hassle me about those), so when you walk out the door of the customs area to go to the domestic transfer desk, you are in violation.

The only thing that saved my bacon was the fact that I was able to produce my FFL and that impressed the heck out of the customs guy, who then accompanied me and stood with me for 15 minutes in the check-in line.

I expect there might be a similar problem at SFO although I haven't tried it.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct -- several people have been arrested or threatened with arrest at JFK and other airports in NY state. Best for handgunners to pick another route.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The solution to this problem?

ATLANTA.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is against state law for non-residents to possess handguns within NYS (with a few exceptions for competitive shooting and police on official business). It is okay if they are in checked-through baggage.

Newark-Libery Airport in the People's Republic of NJ does not hassle you in the least.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
How rough is it to switch airports (Kennedy to Laguardia) with rifles in tow? That's the way we had to schedule or return trip at the end of this month.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Newark-Libery Airport in the People's Republic of NJ does not hassle you in the least.

However, don't bring hollowpoints through Newark -- they're outlawed in NJ and I have talked to a person who was arrested there after her ammo showed up on the checked baggage screening.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn! Would they call Barnes X bullets hollow points?

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"The solution to this problem?

ATLANTA."

Aren't they switching from Atlanta to Dulles shortly?

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

However, don't bring hollowpoints through Newark -- they're outlawed in NJ and I have talked to a person who was arrested there after her ammo showed up on the checked baggage screening.

Actually, you CAN possess hollow-points in NJ. Here are the statutes:

2C:39-3. Prohibited weapons and devices
f.Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, or (2) any person, other than a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) and has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, who knowingly has in his possession any body armor breaching or penetrating ammunition, which means: (a) ammunition primarily designed for use in a handgun, and (b) which is comprised of a bullet whose core or jacket, if the jacket is thicker than.025 of an inch, is made of tungsten carbide, or hard bronze, or other material which is harder than a rating of 72 or greater on the Rockwell B. Hardness Scale, and (c) is therefore capable of breaching or penetrating body armor, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. For purposes of this section, a collector may possess not more than three examples of each distinctive variation of the ammunition described above. A distinctive variation includes a different head stamp, composition, design, or color.

(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land < !--color--> , nor shall subsection f. (1) be construed to prevent any licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer from possessing such ammunition at its licensed premises, provided that the seller of any such ammunition shall maintain a record of the name, age and place of residence of any purchaser who is not a licensed dealer, together with the date of sale and quantity of ammunition sold."

The trouble comes when you 'possess' them while traveling to or from a place other than where you purchased them or a home or land you own.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote
Actually, you CAN possess hollow-points in NJ. Here are the statutes:

Of course you are correct that there are exceptions -- but I will note for anyone who didn't wade through it, that none of those exceptions help you when you are actually being arrested at the airport.

In fact the person I talked to was on her way from the place where she'd purchased them, to her dwelling -- both in states other than NJ. I don't know if the exception was ever raised -- but I do know she was arrested.

John

posted Hide Post
Yes, the people at the airports tend to VERY ignorant about the laws, or just choose to ignore them while on their power trips.

If you must bring hollow pointed pistol ammunition through NJ, just filled the cavity with dark wax (hey, it's no longer a hollow nose, is it? ).

George

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Handguns and JFK don't mix

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was some bizarre new twist on the assassination. Clearly, I'm showing my age.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone can help me on the actual interstate commerce law, but there is a law that states you can transport a handgun as checked baggage as long as it is legal in the originating state and the state of final destination, which would be your home state. As long as the handgun is legal in your home state, you may transport it thru the airport as checked luggage. If you have your luggage checked all the way thru to your home airport, do you even leave the intl. area at JFK before you recheck your luggage? I can't remember, but I've never had a problem in the last 6 trips thru with a 454 cassul revolver. West Palm Beach sucks with any firearms, but I never had a problem at JFK.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem arises when returning to the USA via JFK since you have to claim you bag, walk out of customs (into an area that falls under the jurisdiction of NYC)with your bag in your hand, and then recheck your bag.

It's a screwed up system. We should have federal gun laws, no state or local jurisdiction whatsoever.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe someone can help me on the actual interstate commerce law, but there is a law that states you can transport a handgun as checked baggage as long as it is legal in the originating state and the state of final destination, which would be your home state. As long as the handgun is legal in your home state, you may transport it thru the airport as checked luggage.

There is such a law regarding interstate transportation of firearms (18 USC sec. 926A) but it doesn't refer specifically to airports, and anti-gun local governments ignore it anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"...anti-gun local governments ignore it anyway."

A lawyer for the city of Chicago, when shown that statute, said "Federal law does not apply in Chicago." He did eventually retract the statement but that shows the basic attitude.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote