Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DuctTaping the Pelican
 Login/Join

posted
After the Unloaded Firearm declaration is signed and placed in case, assuming u are taping the latches before the TSA gig (please enlighten if this isn't SOP).

Where is ur DuctTape at until U fly home?
Carry on, pocket (spare jokes), walk around w/ it?

Please enlighten, Thanks...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I know what you are asking. After locking the case, I politely ask the TSA agent to make a few wraps with their TSA tape over the latches. This shows that it has been inspected and helps a little with keeping the latches secure. So far everyone at Ohare has been receptive to it. Who knows, it just might keep someone at Dulles or JFK from feeling to the need to "examine" again before the final flight to Africa. I also use a Pelican case as my suitcase and ask the same of it as well.

Hope this answers your question.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is an option I haven't considered.

Looking @ it as more of a follow-up from this (NE 450 No2, for example)...

http://forums.accuratereloadin...851065031#9851065031

One of Us
posted Hide Post
save a partial roll that only has 20 feet or so on it, or how much you think you'll need for both legs of the trip. Take the roll and squash it down flat. It will travel inyour bag or pack better, taking up little room, won't be bulky and you will have it for emergencies.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother who is a northwest baggage handler strongly surports tapeing all hard luggage.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thanks...

posted Hide Post
Security officials at Johannesburg / Tambo confiscated my roll of duct tape I had to secure my Pelican Case. I was in a hurry, so no argument an I have no idea why it is forbidden. This was September 2010, outbound to Dulles.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: 23 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have heard of TSA confiscating both duct tape and filament tape from carry-on baggage. Theory is, and correctly so, that it can be used to bind people, as in "they were tied-up with duct tape". I used to carry a roll of filament tape in my carry-on for emergency repairs but haven't for a number of years because of this. I have no idea if this is a TSA policy or an individual agent issue.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote