New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I imagining this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seem to me that there are a lot fewer hunt reports this year. Even more eye opening to me is that there are almost none from Tanzania.

Is this all the economy or do you think people have finally gotten fed up with the prices and lack of certainty in TZ?

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The economy. People are going less and when they do they're looking for lower priced hunts.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Larry, I think it probably has to deal with both.

Despite what they say on the news...and whatever the DOW Jones decides to pull...the economy is still in the crapper. And there's quite a few people calling for another housing crash....so luxury hunting in Tanz will only be available for the ultra wealthy...who can float in the high tides of economic chaos.

I think there's been a lot less reports from all over...not just Tanz..

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Agreed. In fact has there been even 1 report from Tanzania this year? Should be some good hunting the next few years as the blocks seem to be getting a good rest. A friend told me Arusha looked like a ghost town at the start of the hunting season.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a call today about a bargain in TZ. $1000 per day plus govt costs at cost. No markup on anything. That is an astounding price. I can't even imagine that price. They said there was little doubt the big 4 would be taken.

This got me thinking.

I would go but I just got back from Zim. Plus I am going desert big horn hunting on 11/15.

I hope those guys in the TZ government think long and hard before pulling those stunts again.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Tanz last year and going again in 2011. I just don't write hunting reports.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Larry, you are right on the money. Not imagining, just reflecting reality.

Tanzanian operators, and African hunting operators in general, are hurting big time.

This recession is killing everyone.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13476 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I got a call today about a bargain in TZ. $1000 per day plus govt costs at cost. No markup on anything. That is an astounding price. I can't even imagine that price. They said there was little doubt the big 4 would be taken.

This got me thinking.

I would go but I just got back from Zim. Plus I am going desert big horn hunting on 11/15.

I hope those guys in the TZ government think long and hard before pulling those stunts again.

What outfitter was that? PM if you wish.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bad eceonomy is the TZ (not only) hunting Industry hurting badly. Miombo Safaris is sold and some other smaller Outfits have also a new owner. Many PH in Arusha and Dar ( also the well known long time in the Business guys ) are searching for "hunting days"...

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Larry, you are right on the money. Not imagining, just reflecting reality.

Tanzanian operators, and African hunting operators in general, are hurting big time.

This recession is killing everyone.

Don't tell me and we have had to cut our throats just to pay overheads.

Still I suppose we make hay when the sun shines.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9902 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only buy this to a certain extent. For example, Zambezi Hunters is totally sold out for 2011 if I understand correctly.

I really the the TZ government's BS has caught up with them this time. Of course with the African mentality, we can probably expect a price increase to make up for the shortfall.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Just trying to make him feel better and I did not cut my throat. That was a big fib.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to bitch about price...there are certain things in life that I cannot afford, and thats just how life works.

But, when you have to spend 21K just on daily fees for a buff and small number of plainsgame for 10 days...because of licenses, gov, whatever...that shocks my mind. So just shooting your 2 buffs, and the other 6-7 animals on your 10 day license you will be over 30k. Plus I have heard those Tz phs get the big tips...

For 30k I know Ol Andy in Zam can do something up nicely!!!!

In fact that's going to be my selling point to my friends, gf, and possibly future wife (if I can find one to stick around, and makes tons of money!).

"If you think this hunt is expensive, check out Tanz...hell baby...this hunt in Zam is a bargain! It's practically 40% off...."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have watch prices fall for over a year now. when I first started watching prices tz was expensive not not so much. I know outfitters and Ph's who are all hurting and cutting prices to the bone just to stay in business. The one I watched the most was prices for buffalo hunts. some have dropped as much a 10k for a hunt. there now down to what I payed for a 15 day hunt in Uganda.and also in IMHO a good PH is worth every dime he makes and the best tip you can afford to give him

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seem to me that there are a lot fewer hunt reports this year. Even more eye opening to me is that there are almost none from Tanzania.

Is this all the economy or do you think people have finally gotten fed up with the prices and lack of certainty in TZ?

From talking to my contacts...it is the world (esp. American) economy dring this trend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To expand on what larryshores said not every safari comapny is in trouble and offering huge discounts as some would believe. Major quota species are selling well and sold out in many cases. Other outfits have bumped up their prices for 2011. Two of the major companies I represent John Du Plooy's Muchinga Adventures and Mokore Safaris are perfect examples. John's leopards are sold out through 2012 with lions 90% spoken for and Mokore Safaris has raised their prices across the board. I recently made a proposal to another well known outfit for a client concerning a major safari. They wouldn't even come off the observer fee. So you can see that the best outfits are not finding it necessary to offer some incredible deals or any deals at all.

What I'm finding is that the best outfits are selling their quotas but not as quickly as they might have a coupler of years ago.

There are some real discounts available out there but remember if you buy cheap you may still get cheap so be careful.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only buy this to a certain extent. For example, Zambezi Hunters is totally sold out for 2011 if I understand correctly.

I really the the TZ government's BS has caught up with them this time. Of course with the African mentality, we can probably expect a price increase to make up for the shortfall.

People are banking on the future!

Look at the number of cancellations in 2010 & 2009.

There will also be a bunch in 2011 if things don't change in the U.S.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
I don't want to bitch about price...there are certain things in life that I cannot afford, and thats just how life works.

But, when you have to spend 21K just on daily fees for a buff and small number of plainsgame for 10 days...because of licenses, gov, whatever...that shocks my mind. So just shooting your 2 buffs, and the other 6-7 animals on your 10 day license you will be over 30k. Plus I have heard those Tz phs get the big tips...

For 30k I know Ol Andy in Zam can do something up nicely!!!!

In fact that's going to be my selling point to my friends, gf, and possibly future wife (if I can find one to stick around, and makes tons of money!).

"If you think this hunt is expensive, check out Tanz...hell baby...this hunt in Zam is a bargain! It's practically 40% off...."

Oryxhunter,

I have only been involved in Munyamadzi for two seasons and previously hunted as a free lancer. I am finding it difficult to breach the market. Hence hopefully the pricing will be attractive incentive for some to review the hunting and the location.

I disagree with Mark to a certain degree regarding 'cheap' hunts and these are discounted as such.

My plan next year is to advertise the Kafue Flats venture for 4 hunters and this also will be 'cheap' as safaris go. The way I look at it there are those who cannot afford Africa and if I can I will make it happen for them. To share the hunt costs is one way to do this.

I have many cost saving ideas and one that I really want to try is a group safari for teenagers. Bit like an African summer camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Andrew should be an honorary Aggie...as he too is all around good folks!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a regular working fella, making less than 6 figures a year, it is hard for me to fathom someone paying $15,000 - $30,000 to hunt anywhere!! Especically in this economy. I suppose there are quit a few folks who have a lot of extra money to spend just laying around. Smiler

I'll keep saving my pennies, keep writing stories, keep taking photos, and keep dreaming of Africa! Albeit on a smaller scale for plains game. Smiler

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Andrew should be an honorary Aggie...as he too is all around good folks!

Nice ring to it. Andrew 'the Aggie' Baldry.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I in no way wanted to insinuate you were Discount operation. Just wanted to compare what a good buff hunt in zambia might run vs tanz.

It's bang for buck evaluation, granted every location has certain species not found in others...but if one outfitter claims I can get You a 40" buff in zam and the same for tanz...it poses the value question on the block.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm an aggie Andrew be careful who you choose to associate with!!!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Andrew 'the cat' Baldry would look better on my CV but sod it and I am now an Aggie.

Is there an Aggie club where all us dogooders get together and do good?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep...it is called "the world"!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Andrew 'the cat' Baldry would look better on my CV but sod it and I am now an Aggie.

In reality...there actually are many Aggie Clubs!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Not to worry. I would not be offering your hunts on the Luangwa if I thought they were "CHEAP" in quality regardless of price. In fact your recent ad is about the least expensive way a guy could ever get a roan without booking a 14-21 day safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Seriously thinking about shooting it myself.

Cheers Mark.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oryxhunter,

You have to compare aplles to apples. Yes the government fees in Tanzania are pretty stiff but a Masailand buffalo hunt is not the same experience you'll get anywhere else. If you want to see Masailand, shoot some animals not found anywhere else and hunt where there is a real chance of killing a buffalo of a lifetime you have to pay for it. Your $30,000 that you mentioned will go much further in southern Africa but it won't be a Masailand hunt. Hey! I wish it was less expensive too. I'd love to go back just to be there. Masailand is really that unique.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redirect: have I mentioned yet that my Boise State University Broncos are ranked Number Two on the AP and Coaches Poll, and Number Three in the BCS standings?

Rich
Go Broncos

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have to compare aplles to apples. Yes the government fees in Tanzania are pretty stiff but a Masailand buffalo hunt is not the same experience you'll get anywhere else.

Mark,

Looks like Neil cost you and Adam about of about $30,000. Wink

Overall there seems to be plenty of good quality discounted hunts this year, even for lion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I'm finding is that the best outfits are selling their quotas but not as quickly as they might have a coupler of years ago.

There are some real discounts available out there but remember if you buy cheap you may still get cheap so be careful.

Thats absolute true IMO

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

We'll get your money one way or the other so don't plan on saving anything just because you are the luckiest buffalo hunter in Africa for 2010.

We do need to talk about a cat hunt for the future. There will be a "special" price just for you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho, the advertisers will luv it when my Frogs go up against Boise in the BCS bowl.

Frog 'em!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Luck,and I thought it was due to paying for a premium hunt with a quality outfitter, hunting hard, and booking enough days to make it all happen.

Next time I will just carry my lucky rabbit foot. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I always recommend a good luck charm. It's far more important than the things you listed. We have a variety of good Juju items for sale on the website. It might take some careful searching but they are there at exorbitant prices of course.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
For an armchair Bwana who is still dreaming of Africa, I find this thread very educational and interesting.

I can compare Safari costs to buying a car. If I was able to afford it I could buy a new Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. for a million bucks just like I could do a Tz Big 4 safari for 30 days or more. I could buy a top end Mercedes or BMW for half that cost - like a Big 4 safari in Zambia. I could buy a top end Volvo or Lexus and compare it to a Big 4 safari in Zim. ....get the picture

Now I could just as easily go to Singapore & import a nice pre-owned 4 year old BMW, Merc, Volvo or Lexus for 10% of new retail & have it shipped to NZ. That would be like taking up Fairgames amazing deal!! Except that this deal is absolutely brand spanking new & not "pre-owned" !!!!!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need to book a hunt? Just tell an SCI competitor that you have found an animal, any animal better than his competition...
BTW, I am a member, but I only compete with animals...not other members.

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
For an armchair Bwana who is still dreaming of Africa, I find this thread very educational and interesting.

I can compare Safari costs to buying a car. If I was able to afford it I could buy a new Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. for a million bucks just like I could do a Tz Big 4 safari for 30 days or more. I could buy a top end Mercedes or BMW for half that cost - like a Big 4 safari in Zambia. I could buy a top end Volvo or Lexus and compare it to a Big 4 safari in Zim. ....get the picture

Now I could just as easily go to Singapore & import a nice pre-owned 4 year old BMW, Merc, Volvo or Lexus for 10% of new retail & have it shipped to NZ. That would be like taking up Fairgames amazing deal!! Except that this deal is absolutely brand spanking new & not "pre-owned" !!!!!

Find a mate to join you and you will have the bargain of a life time. Bring two and I can make it really interesting.

My advise is to buy a Fiat and go hunting.

Cheers

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal